Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2021, 05:14 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I hope I can say the same when I get back from my winter trip down the I-5 Corridor.

So far, looking for places to stop at night during my trip South it's been disappointing. Unless I want to drive an hour or more off I-5 to a remote farm there don't seem to be many locations that are open during winter months or have room for a pickup towing a 25' trailer. Either parking is too small or their driveway (or turn from main road) won't accommodate a vehicle of this length.

I've also found some "Breweries" that are just downtown locations that MIGHT be suitable for Van or Car Campers.

Needless to say, it's not looking good for my upcoming trip using Harvest Hosts.

Does anyone at Harvest Hosts actually vet new locations when signing them up to make sure they actually have suitable parking and access?

Just wondering.

That sounds disappointing for you so far. Hope your luck improves. I’m not sure about winter months. When we used HH in the summer. There were a lot of hosts along our routes. There was a section along our one route where there were no HH for hours in all directions. So we just dry camped in the middle of a Wyoming desert and Colorado grassland. That was my favorite actually. When I search for a Harvest Hosts. I would pick a host and go on Google Maps and look at satellite imagery. That way I had a decent idea if we could maneuver our truck and trailer on the property. That aways helped me before even contacting a host.
2021 Cherokee Greywolf 23MK
Equalizer 1,000lb WDH
Guspech750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 05:36 PM   #22
Who Dares, Wins

I often have thought of trying the HH thing. Problem is the idea of taking tours and buying things if you will.

It is not that I am opposed to supporting them,but we are spending the night on our way to a destination and I don't want to loose half a day touring. The brewery or whatever. We sadly are on a limited time for our vacations. In 15 years when I retire... Not on a schedule, I can see this maybe being better.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 07:35 PM   #23
Trailer Park Supervisor

Yeah, you gotta have the time. I don't do mega drives anymore on account of my back. 5-7 hours driving max per day. So this is a good option for overnighting. The two of the times i used it running down to NC OBX, it was a holiday, or business was closed, so didn't have to spend a dime. But I am more than capable dropping 20 bucks at a brewery or winery!
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 08:19 PM   #24

We will be staying at a HH this Thursday. Horse Creek Winery, it’s just off of I75 south in Georgia. We are currently at Margaritaville RV resort at Lake Lanier and heading to Christmas Florida. I could make this drive easily but instead of leaving early and setting up in the dark we decided to break the trip up and stay at a Harvest Host.
Webefine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 09:26 AM   #25
Trailer Park Supervisor

How do you like this "Margaritaville"? Is it the real McCoy? I have a couple Margaritaville products (mostly shoes) that have far exceeded my expectations, I imagine everything under that name is premium quality.
Old 12-24-2021, 05:19 PM   #26

The Margaritaville RV park was very nice, all the roads are paved and all RV spots are concrete except for one area they were gravel and a little more rustic. There are a good many water view spots and a few water front spots although they are still a short distance from the lake. The island in general was nice, it has a golf course, a few bar/restaurants and great biking everywhere!
Webefine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 06:31 PM   #27
Trailer Park Supervisor

https://www.margaritavilleresorts.co...tay/rv-resorts
Just looked them up. Georgia, TN, and Florida location is coming soon.

**They certainly don't make it easy to find an RV park on their website, irritating. When I go to an RV park website, I want to be able to easily find the 'rates' page. The fact that it is so hidden instantly makes me think it's going to be overpriced, not even considering the ominous 'resort' label.
Old 12-24-2021, 07:07 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I hope I can say the same when I get back from my winter trip down the I-5 Corridor.

So far, looking for places to stop at night during my trip South it's been disappointing. Unless I want to drive an hour or more off I-5 to a remote farm there don't seem to be many locations that are open during winter months or have room for a pickup towing a 25' trailer. Either parking is too small or their driveway (or turn from main road) won't accommodate a vehicle of this length.

I've also found some "Breweries" that are just downtown locations that MIGHT be suitable for Van or Car Campers.

Needless to say, it's not looking good for my upcoming trip using Harvest Hosts.

Does anyone at Harvest Hosts actually vet new locations when signing them up to make sure they actually have suitable parking and access?

Just wondering.
Do you do Boondockers Welcome as well? There's a place that we really like in Chehalis with super friendly hosts and plenty of space. I'd be happy to PM you the location if you would like.

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote