Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2021, 02:31 PM   #1

HARVEST HOSTS, Yes or No?

Thinking of joining, any thoughts?
2014 Explorer & 2006 Jeep Unlimited
Oldnapapartsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 03:15 PM   #2

I have stayed at three different locations, and for what they offer, they have been great. Two were wineries and one brewery/distillery. For overnight stops during a trip they are perfect. Not to mention the fact that I had the opportunity to try some craft brews/wine/spirits after a long day of driving. We plan on using them a lot more in upcoming years and trips. You can check out the map on the website and see the thousands of locations all over the country. We use them to plan stops along our route.
Old 09-28-2021, 03:40 PM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldnapapartsguy View Post
Thinking of joining, any thoughts?
Harvest Hosts just bought Boondockers Welcome earlier this year.
Both have their offerings.

Big difference is………

Boondockers Welcome is a network where you stay with other RVers, and therefore they understand our needs and curiosity in travel. ALMOST all will offer at least 15 amp service if not more, because they have RV units themselves. They know where RV service centres may be close by, and where you may be able to pump out if necessary. You’ll probably share campground experiences of the good and bad because their hobby is the same as yours.

Harvest Hosts is a network where the hosts aren’t active RVers and therefore probably can’t/won’t offer the above mentioned.

Your choice or both memberships are available.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD
and if we ever need it, can be pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 06:21 PM   #4
Trailer Park Supervisor

Just joined HH and have already used 3 times. SO much nicer than staying a parking lot somewhere, wife never felt safe in random parking lots, now she sleeps much better. Well rested wife, happy husband!
Old 09-28-2021, 07:06 PM   #5

A resounding yes.

Never had a bad stay. Some are better than others, but its more like the difference between OK and super memorable.

Biggest caveat is if your travel style allows you to arrive during business hours. If your going to get in late and leave early its not really worth it, but if you arrive in the afternoon and want to enjoy a nice dinner out and not have to drive anywhere it can't be beat.

Full-time Dynamax Resident
FOURWHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 07:11 PM   #6
Trailer Park Supervisor

Even if you arrive when they are closed (I did last 2 uses), it is still better than sleeping in a public parking lot. Quieter and feels safer.
Old 09-28-2021, 07:13 PM   #7

I will add a big fat yes to the HH experience.
Old 09-28-2021, 07:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderMore View Post
I will add a big fat yes to the HH experience.
X2 met some nice people, drank great wine and ate tasty cheese. Pay attention to the roads in as well as steep driveways.
Lubehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 07:25 AM   #9

If you are traveling long distance for an extended amount of time, Iím a yes. Weíve stayed at several locations including a golf course and they all were very quite. At the golf course, we had dinner there and didnít feel we needed to play golf.
Old 09-30-2021, 05:05 AM   #10

We've been members for a few years now, have used the service numerous times and have absolutely enjoyed and appreciated every stay.
Riverbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 10:02 AM   #11

Something to consider: If you've done any homework on HH you know you need to be totally self-contained. I signed up last year shortly after buying my trailer but before thinking this through. Until about two months ago when I upgraded my battery to lithium, I would not have had enough juice to run my 12V fridge, furnace fan, minimal lighting, and parasitic current draws overnight. YMMV, depending on your electrical system.

If you depend on a generator for continuous power, there's no guarantee that a given host will allow it to run all night; confirm in advance.

Then there's wastewater. I have a hard and fast rule (so far) for my RV: no pooping. That kind of runs up against the HH rule about being self-sustaining. I suppose if the host has a public restroom and you become a customer by buying some of whatever they're selling (which HH strongly urges you to do), you could argue that you have the "right" to use the restroom the same as any customer. But in my view that violates the spirit of the rule, as well as the letter. Not to mention that their store schedule needs to be in sync with your GI system's!

So for me, the membership fee has been a waste of money. Totally my fault, not that of HH or any individual hosts. Others' experiences and reviews suggest it's an awesome program for the right people and RV.
Jimbo K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 05:27 PM   #12
Trailer Park Supervisor

I love pooping in my trailer. As long as my next destination has a dump station. There is something immensely satisfying watching your travel companions make their final journey through a clear plastic elbow....
Old 09-30-2021, 07:28 PM   #13

Being prior Army Iíve gottaí tell you, having your own personal privy while traveling is quite satisfying. You know itís clean, no 3rd world banana republic yahoo with poor aim has just squatted over it prior to your arrival, and no COVID carrier has defiled the air with germs or other memorable gifts. No late night hikes in the rain and mud. Whatís not to like?

Not using your own indoor plumbing (that you paid for) makes no sense. It will not help resale or prolong the overall useful life.
WanderMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 09:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I love pooping in my trailer. As long as my next destination has a dump station. There is something immensely satisfying watching your travel companions make their final journey through a clear plastic elbow....

Name:   IMG_2140.GIF
Views: 159
Size:  1.40 MB
Old 10-02-2021, 09:52 AM   #15

Last nightís Harvest Hosts spot:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C22C5A79-0D43-4869-8D50-9868327BC5D9.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	429.6 KB
ID:	263756  
WanderMore is offline   Reply With Quote