Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2020, 06:32 PM   #21
Commercial Member

The DVD would likely go to the main TV. But a splitter is nothing more than a matrix with only one input...so having (3) outputs to the TV's, you can plug whatever you want on the input side, including the DVD player. just unplug whatever is plugged into the DVD player and use a short from from the DVD output, to the matrix input. Then you have DVD, Sat and Apple TV

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:14 PM   #22

Interesting how factory is now using a matrix. I had a bad hdmi cable in my 2018 37TS purchased in fall of 2017 and instead of trying to replace a very long hdmi cable opted to install a matrix system. What is really cool imho is now I am capable of just switching what I am watching in the living room to the other tv's if I choose to continue watching or wife can watch what she wants like dvd verses sat and it can be done with just the one dvd player in front.

Anyway, the matrix adds a lot of versatility in viewing options. Add ROKU or other firestick will add even more options. Maybe a Roku can hook in to the matrix.

HMMMM
Old 08-13-2020, 07:19 PM   #23
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRedburn View Post
Interesting how factory is now using a matrix. I had a bad hdmi cable in my 2018 37TS purchased in fall of 2017 and instead of trying to replace a very long hdmi cable opted to install a matrix system. What is really cool imho is now I am capable of just switching what I am watching in the living room to the other tv's if I choose to continue watching or wife can watch what she wants like dvd verses sat and it can be done with just the one dvd player in front.

Anyway, the matrix adds a lot of versatility in viewing options. Add ROKU or other firestick will add even more options. Maybe a Roku can hook in to the matrix.

HMMMM
If you watch my video on the HDMI matrix, I actually hook up to a roku to test that theory and it works just fine.

As for your bad HDMI cable...that is one reason we are exploring HDMI over CAT6. Inputs are HDMI, but the outputs are CAT6 and then a small passive converter on the TV end.

1. It's a positive cable attachment (IE snaps into place). HDMI just slips into place and can pull out with a bump.
2. The cables are repairable if there is an issue.
3. The ends are user replaceable if one gets damaged. (They do make HDMI ends...but that is a lot of tiny little wires to get right)

Old 08-13-2020, 07:43 PM   #24

I really like the HDMI matrix that came on our unit. I made a little cheat sheet to remind me which input and which output are which.
One thing I noticed is that it gets really hot. Anyone else notice that?
Cactus Canyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:18 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJoe1003 View Post
The DVD player apparently does not go through either splitter. It must go into another one somewhere.
MoJoe, on my Force HD 37TS I have almost an identical setup to what your picture shows. But there is also a 4th HDMI cable that does not go through the splitter. On my setup, it is direct from the DVD player. Perhaps you have a similar extra HDMI cable.

On my splitter I have three cables labelled "Fire1" (for the TV behind the fireplace - living room), "O/E" (outside entertainment) and something illegible - probably "Bedroom" or something similar. The 4th HDMI cable that is NOT through the splitter is labelled "Fire2". This one is direct to another HDMI input on the living room TV only.

Hope this helps, Bill
WrkdbfGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:59 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
If you watch my video on the HDMI matrix, I actually hook up to a roku to test that theory and it works just fine.

As for your bad HDMI cable...that is one reason we are exploring HDMI over CAT6. Inputs are HDMI, but the outputs are CAT6 and then a small passive converter on the TV end.

1. It's a positive cable attachment (IE snaps into place). HDMI just slips into place and can pull out with a bump.
3. The ends are user replaceable if one gets damaged. (They do make HDMI ends...but that is a lot of tiny little wires to get right)
agreed that hdmi over cat6 is the way to go..
Old 08-14-2020, 01:25 AM   #27

Do not buy a Roku stick, your performance is nowhere as good as say a Roku Ultra. Take it from someone that owns them all.

Plus with Roku Ultra you get the remote with headphone jack so you can plug in some headphones and watch tv without disturbing anyone or if another set is going. Now you can add that remote to any Roku but it comes with it on the better units.

Do not buy a Roku Express, those are junk and people are having problems, though I know the $29 price is tempting.

I hookup my Roku Ultra and my Apple TV to the matrix, then we can watch whatever at all 4 tv's, plus the RF remotes are so nice. My Apple TV and Roku are in the cabinet with the matrix.

Good luck.
dannko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 09:22 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannko View Post
Do not buy a Roku stick, your performance is nowhere as good as say a Roku Ultra.
The Roku Ultra *is* excellent. A bit pricey but excellent.

The original Roku Streaming Stick *was* junk; especially it's wireless range. But the latest Roku Streaming Stick Plus (+) is darn good as well. It comes with a Voice remote, really good wireless range, and it's half the price of the Ultra if that is a major concern.

I'll grant that the remote doesn't have a headphone jack. But if you need/want that, just add the free Roku app to your cell phone and go silent via headphones there.

Bill
WrkdbfGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 02:50 PM   #29

In defense of the Roku Express I have 2 and they’ve been flawless (1 in my ‘19 Isata 3 along with an Apple TV). For my needs the $29 Express was perfect (didn’t need 4K or voice remote). I also have an Ultra. And a Roku TV which has a great integration with the OTA antenna.
acoxFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 10:36 PM   #30

Quote:

Our home is set up with HDMI at the source (cable TV, security cameras, etc)...short patch cable to a converter to CAT6 for the long runs then a converter from CAT6 back to HDMI at each TV.

Pros- works great... very flexible... easy to repair
CAT6 ends if damaged
Cons - converters get very warm
- sensitive to power surges...have replaced
several over 4 years
EdandShelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 12:54 PM   #31

Just received my new Monoprice Blackbird 4 x 4 HDMI Matrix. Looking forward to installing it later this week when I get my unit back from an awning repair. Picture to follow after install.
“Breathe in, Breathe out, Move on”
MoJoe1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 04:29 PM   #32

New HDMI Matrix installed. Working like a champ. Just trying to keep the old girl as updated as I can. Thanks for the tips BC. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0556.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	251.8 KB
ID:	237233
“Breathe in, Breathe out, Move on”
MoJoe1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 10:25 PM   #33

Brian, we have a Isata 5 30 fw 2021. I bought a Sylvania DVD player. I put it in input 2. I use the DVD remote and it switches the selector button on the front of 3rd matrix button on the front of the matrix . Prior to Sylvania DVD I bought a Sony. It worked on living room tv but n it the bedroom tv. Then i turned the tv off and back on now it will not switch to DVD all. Any suggestions
Tightlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 09:42 AM   #34
Norwood Auto Italia

Quote:

Plus you can avoid the ARC confusion where some HDMI inputs do not work with the matrix if ARD designated.
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 10:28 AM   #35
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightlines View Post
Brian, we have a Isata 5 30 fw 2021. I bought a Sylvania DVD player. I put it in input 2. I use the DVD remote and it switches the selector button on the front of 3rd matrix button on the front of the matrix . Prior to Sylvania DVD I bought a Sony. It worked on living room tv but n it the bedroom tv. Then i turned the tv off and back on now it will not switch to DVD all. Any suggestions
I am not even sure I fully follow the explanation.

Use the DVD remote to change the matrix? I'm not sure what you are trying to get to switch back to DVD.

The TV ONLY has one HDMI coming into it. That signal is feeding either Input 1 (sat, in theory) or Input 2 (DVD). The TV doesn't really have anything to do with it, but make sure it is on HDMI XX (whatever the HDMI is plugged into)

Old 08-25-2021, 01:29 PM   #36

Just to clarify! The hdmi matrix has nothing to do with the coaxial for the cable tv and Ota
Worm43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 12:42 PM   #37

Thanks Brian. I think it is working now. Bedroom HDMI cord was taped together and it had come loose. Urged it back in reaped it and now it works.
Thanks for your help
Tightlines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light