Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2018, 09:57 AM   #1

Help! Slide stuck on Isata 3

Went to put out the slide on our three today, only back part went out about 6 inches no movement on front. I need to get back home this afternoon.

It won’t go back in now.
slimetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 10:53 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimetime View Post
Went to put out the slide on our three today, only back part went out about 6 inches no movement on front. I need to get back home this afternoon.

It won’t go back in now.

How many red lights did you see on the control panel while it was moving? How about now when you press the retract button?
xgarys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 11:00 AM   #3

Were you using just battery power to move the slide? If so , it might be worth trying to start the generator and then see if it moves. Or plug into shore power if available. A stuck slide is on my mind whenever I push that button. I have a printed copy of what to do to manually move the slide, and also purchased the correct size socket for manually retracting. If it is only out six inches, manually bringing it back in should not be too bad. Never had to use them....knock on wood. Hopefully, others will post steps you can take right now. Good luck.
RolandRevenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 11:11 AM   #4

Quote:

It won’t go back in now.

Who is the slide system manufacturer? It should say on the control panel.
xgarys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 11:34 AM   #5

Got it in.

Found the pdf of the manual that someone posted here.

It is the power gear model, I just googled Isata 3 slide and a post here came up.

Did th manual override. On motor 1 to get it in, motor 2 is dead.

Generator on and no lights on the panel, when I put it in manual mode I had one blink each of red and green.

<begin rant>
I just know if I have the heart for owning one of these things. This was our third trip full of problems , and I feel bad for my kids. I guess this is my own oversight but beyond the wintering/dewinterizing, monthly generator tests during winter and trip preparation/cleaning - I just don’t have any more time to give this beautiful rig. We had some great trips last year, along with the bad ones but this is not what I though owning a Dynamax would be like.
Old 05-13-2018, 12:49 PM   #6

Access to slide motors

I know that you have to get to the motors and unhook the retainer spring and remove the motor from the gear rack, but do you get to it by removing the wood trim on the inside or the metal on the outside with the rubber seal?
Michael Standley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 04:35 PM   #7

Quote:

It won’t go back in now.
Sorry for your troubles, this has always been my biggest fear. Have read everything I can find on what to do. It seems like most of the solutions listed are using the control panel and electricly overriding the faults. It had some steps listed in the manual for it about removing the control panel and selecting something on the back. I read about getting the 6 point socket and getting to the motors but it doesn't look easy at all with the difficult access. Good luck, I will be following this thread closely. I am camped in Eureka and will be closing up to go home tomorrow.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 05:15 PM   #8

Quote:

It won’t go back in now.

I think my I5 has the same power gear system as your I3. I had a similar problem when bring the slide in. Control panel showed motor fault.

I was away from home and spent several hours with power gear tech line to figure out the problem.

They sent me a new controller and motor.

Never determined what caused the fault. The controller was not bad. I couldn’t get the motor out to replace. The tech never had me clear the fault codes. I did that later and the motor worked. So if you didn’t clear the fault codes try that.

On replacing the motor. The directions from power gear ( Lippert ) and Dynamax tech was to remove the hold down spring ( slide was open so easy to do from the outside ) and motor should pull out. However, what I learned from the tech at the Dealer there is a screw on the outside by the motor ( on the long cover panel) that needs to be removed. Tech said to get the motor out the inside cover panel needs to be removed.

It is frustrating to have a slide out motor fail while away from home.
Old 05-13-2018, 05:35 PM   #9

So you have to pry off the wood trim on the inside in order to access the motors?
Old 05-13-2018, 06:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Standley View Post
So you have to pry off the wood trim on the inside in order to access the motors?

No not the wood trim. The metal cover plate covering the slide mechanism. It is held on by screws and runs bottom to top on the slide out wall.
The wire to power the motor runs along the cover plate ( motor to controller in bay below slide out). Remember, I’m referencing how it is installed on my I5.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:48 PM   #11

Thanks for all the info. No problem yet but I want to be prepared. This group is great.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:07 PM   #12

Help! Slide stuck on Isata 3

Quote:
Found the pdf of the manual that someone posted here.

It is the power gear model, I just googled Isata 3 slide and a post here came up.

Did th manual override. On motor 1 to get it in, motor 2 is dead.

Generator on and no lights on the panel, when I put it in manual mode I had one blink each of red and green.

I just know if I have the heart for owning one of these things. This was our third trip full of problems , and I feel bad for my kids. I guess this is my own oversight but beyond the wintering/dewinterizing, monthly generator tests during winter and trip preparation/cleaning - I just don’t have any more time to give this beautiful rig. We had some great trips last year, along with the bad ones but this is not what I though owning a Dynamax would be like.

My thoughts exactly... we have camped for 20 years, owned TT, 5th wheels and other class C's. We have 2 older kids, one young one, 11 years old. We bought our Isata 5 new, has a warranty (lol) also bought a 6 year extended warranty. Thought was if we had any issues it would be covered and we could just camp without worrying about major issues for the next 6 years, that would get my youngest through high school and after that I should have time to tinker and fix issues that may arise... boy was I wrong. We camped in it once since last September, sat at the dealers for 3 months and now sits in my drive way while everyone debates on what to do... 4 trips cancelled so far, major issues still not fixed, latest is the charging system isn't working... pretty much have given up as I don't have the time to fix it myself...best of luck to you.
vrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 01:05 PM   #13

Just got the call from my dealer that this is finally fixed. Had to use my extended warranty though as I’m in my second year now, didn’t realize that the bumper to bumper from Dynamax was only one year, I swear it was two when I bought it. Oh well, glad to have it coming back home finally.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:20 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Two year warranty is on anything Dynamax builds. Equipment warranties are just like appliances, the mfg supplies that warranty. However, most suppliers will match ours, LCI is not one of those. Truma gives a 2nd year when you register. Inverter's are 3 years I think, Aquahot is 3 years. I am just wrapping up a full list of suppliers, with contact and warranty info so there is no confusion.

What did they end up fixing? motor? controller?

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:41 PM   #15

It was the controller.

Finally got my leaky lav sink fixed too (only took two dealer visits). I heard the factory stepped up and helped cover the dinette cushions that didn’t stay in place - much appreciated.

Dealer also relocated the xm and fm antennas from the a pillar to the dash and reception is 100% better - third visit to them for that issue.

Got a 10 trip coming up soon, fingers crossed that it goes better than the last one.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:20 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Glad to hear it. I will say, 90% of the time most issues we see are low voltage related.

I'm not saying all of the time and not blaming anyone, but any means. I just know lots of people that keep it plugged in during storage or that use them all the time, and say they have never had a single slide issue. Just something to be aware of going forward. Often times, I see dealers that don't take care of their stuff and too often let the batteries die...which kills part of the battery.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:01 AM   #17

Question:

When I plug it in to keep batteries topped off in winter, how do I set the battery disconnect switch? Connected or disconnected?

Thanks
Old 06-15-2018, 10:20 AM   #18
Commercial Member

On, or engaged to be safe. But it shouldn't matter as the BIRD is suppose to go to a constant terminal...so it should be connected no matter what. Solar was also wired to be direct.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:23 PM   #19

Is it possible that a Bird can be wired backwards? I asked my dealer this back in October and they had no idea. The reason I ask is when I unplug the ground on the chassis battery, the chassis electronics still work.

I have so little faith in my dealer at this point - it was like I was crazy when I brought up these issues when I was under warranty last fall, now that I’m not it’s a different story.
Old 06-16-2018, 11:41 AM   #20

Quote:
Question:

When I plug it in to keep batteries topped off in winter, how do I set the battery disconnect switch? Connected or disconnected?

Thanks
I leave mine in the disconnect and it keeps the batteries all charged up. Mine stays plugged in always when in storage.
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide