Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2018, 11:56 AM   #21
Commercial Member

oh, I didn't take it that way either. I just don't want anyone wasting time on a lock out that doesn't exist. That is a frequent misconception by some.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 12:31 PM   #22

Following . . .
Old 04-26-2018, 12:37 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsdas88 View Post
X2. Sounds like a badly placed screw for a clamp or something similar ended up puncturing a wire during the installation of the solar system. The City folks were nice to have helped you out. There are good people everywhere who are nice enough to help when things go wrong.
Agreed that was nice... but I am always surprised at the people I encounter in Arizona. Just good folks.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 12:43 PM   #24

DCRiii,

At the rear of the chassis there should be connectors that go to the tail light assemblies or to pigtail that goes up to the taillights. Try disconnecting these and see if the fuse still blows ( or check with multimeter before and after disconnecting.)

Many times if an led light goes bad it will present a short to the power line.

If the short goes away, plug one back together to see which side may be bad.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:47 PM   #25

Update:
Initially we thought there may be a slide lock-out but we disproved that fairly quickly. Trying to find wiring diagrams for the chassis to see where F17 goes and if you've ever been under your coach you know there's thousands of wires under there.
I too find it strange this issue just started now on it's own. Common sense tells us something happened while running the solar cabling.

I have spoke with Freightliner of Arizona in Phoenix and they promise to call me back after some research. More to follow....
DCRiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 01:21 PM   #26

Make sure the solar is connected to the house batteries and not the chassis batteries.

Still looking through Freightliner schematics
Old 04-26-2018, 01:41 PM   #27

Try putting the key in for the pre-start. Once all the warnings disappear and before starting put it in drive then neautral then reverse do it one more time. Finally put it n. Then start the engine. Let the transmission warm up for three minutes. Then try drive.

Jaime
jgallego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 03:33 PM   #28

I am wondering how and if the solar installer was able to move the unit after finishing the install. I would check the install of the panels and charge controller for a direct short or wire insulation penetration with the mounting hardware. Did the installer move the unit after job??
Ralph0808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 03:40 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph0808 View Post
I am wondering how and if the solar installer was able to move the unit after finishing the install. I would check the install of the panels and charge controller for a direct short or wire insulation penetration with the mounting hardware. Did the installer move the unit after job??
Great question...
The Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 04:28 PM   #30

I hope this helps. We have a 2018 DX3 and while driving back from Borrego Springs I started getting tranny error codes would not shift. So I nursed it home and called the local Freightliner repair shop. They could not find anything and Charged me $400. My Freightliner rep told me I should keep my claim opened and suggested I take it to an Allison repair shop. There was a shop on my way home so I dropped it off. They called the next morning and had found the problem and got permission from Freightliner to fix it.
when freightliner installs the transmission they use a short wiring harness and it can rub through and short out on the frame. The Allison guys said it is a very common problem. Ten feet of electrical tape and some cable cover and all was well. I hope your problem is this simple.
papatyrrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 04:42 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by papatyrrell View Post
I hope this helps. We have a 2018 DX3 and while driving back from Borrego Springs I started getting tranny error codes would not shift. So I nursed it home and called the local Freightliner repair shop. They could not find anything and Charged me $400. My Freightliner rep told me I should keep my claim opened and suggested I take it to an Allison repair shop. There was a shop on my way home so I dropped it off. They called the next morning and had found the problem and got permission from Freightliner to fix it.
when freightliner installs the transmission they use a short wiring harness and it can rub through and short out on the frame. The Allison guys said it is a very common problem. Ten feet of electrical tape and some cable cover and all was well. I hope your problem is this simple.
Was this not covered under warranty? Did you get your $400 back?
Old 04-26-2018, 04:51 PM   #32

freightliner's policy is even if you have the error codes if they can not duplicate the problem you pay. When you call Freightliner and figure out you need to be on the truck side not the RV side you are assigned a rep. She suggested that I keep the claim opened and find the Allison shop. I think the policy sucks. If you have a problem they can't trace you are on your own. It took about three weeks to get my money back from the Freightliner shop and I don't know if they got reimbursed from Freightliner.
papatyrrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:00 AM   #33

I had a similar issue last night. I haven't driven the rig a lot yet, but everything worked fine before last night.

Last night I backed up to the race car trailer for the first time, left engine running, connected hitch and plugged in trailer lights. Same plug on the trailer I have always used and plugged into the factory DX3 hitch connector.

Went back to cab and put unit in D and the N just flashed and never went into gear/1. Tried it several times, no change. Shut engine off and re-started, no change.
Went back and unplugged trailer connector, went right in to gear with no issue. Put it back to N, re-plugged trailer connector, went back to cab and it went right into gear. No further issues so far.

Weird.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:40 AM   #34

Latest update:
Since Yuma doesn't have a Freightliner rep I had a local Peterbuilt mobile tech come and take a look. Smart guy. He found the chassis control module which the F17 fuse feeds and discovered two pins had been burned. We removed those pins hoping by removing the effected circuit the transmission would shift. No luck. The tech spoke with his manager and the manager didn't want to deal with Freightliner regarding wiring diagrams and parts. He said he's dealt with them before and it takes forever to get anything from them. No other options in Yuma.
Called my roadside policy (Progressive) and to my complete surprise they stepped up to tow it to Phoenix - the closest Freightliner service center. Another surprise is this center has full hook-up sites right on property. So my wife and I will follow the tow truck and our home up to Phoenix this evening. I'll update status as I get it. Thanks to all you who have made suggestions and well wishes.

Thanks, Don
Old 04-27-2018, 10:44 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRiii View Post
Latest update:
Since Yuma doesn't have a Freightliner rep I had a local Peterbuilt mobile tech come and take a look. Smart guy. He found the chassis control module which the F17 fuse feeds and discovered two pins had been burned. We removed those pins hoping by removing the effected circuit the transmission would shift. No luck. The tech spoke with his manager and the manager didn't want to deal with Freightliner regarding wiring diagrams and parts. He said he's dealt with them before and it takes forever to get anything from them. No other options in Yuma.
Called my roadside policy (Progressive) and to my complete surprise they stepped up to tow it to Phoenix - the closest Freightliner service center. Another surprise is this center has full hook-up sites right on property. So my wife and I will follow the tow truck and our home up to Phoenix this evening. I'll update status as I get it. Thanks to all you who have made suggestions and well wishes.

Thanks, Don
Just look at it as an unplanned adventure. This is what camping is all about!

Bruce
Old 04-27-2018, 11:05 AM   #36

Well, lots to do and see in Phoenix. So that's a good thing. If you like Indian petroglyphs stop at the Painted Rock site just west of Gila Bend easy to get to, all paved.

https://www.recreation.gov/recreatio...ilityId=202059

https://www.archaeologysouthwest.org.../GreatBend.pdf
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 02:51 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRiii View Post
2015 DX3 36FKS - hoping someone can help me....

I'll try to make this short; I had solar installed here in Yuma. When complete I went to pick it up and the dinette/sofa slide was cocked in the frame. About 2" in too far on the aft end and 5" out on the other. Fault code says controller failure. We were able to realigned by using the kitchen slide controller.

Now my REAL problem. All slides in, jacks up, start the engine and release the brake, push Drive on the transmission and the D lights up but not the 1 (1st gear). Try reverse - nothing. Transmission isn't shifting. Could there be an interlock signal from the faulty slide controller? We totally disconnected it and same result with the trans, nothing.

Called the local Allison rep... he has no idea... do you have a mobile tech? Yea but he's not available until sometime tomorrow (today now).

Called Dynamax this AM and left a voice mail w/ Brandon whose the Factory Service Representative - West.

Has anyone experienced this issue? There isn't a Freightliner service center here in Yuma. I've had zero luck in getting someone on the phone from Freightliner or Allison that's willing to help.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks, Don

Don

Had similar tranny problem with Allison in my Siverado 2500, Turned out to be the Transmission Control Module.
SheepHerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:50 AM   #38
Consumer of Space

Any updates?
Old 05-03-2018, 09:31 PM   #39

Final update:

To begin with I highly recommend Freightliner of Arizona in Phoenix to have your rig repaired and/or serviced. Top notch place.

On Friday I was towed from Yuma to Phoenix and backed into one of the seven full hook-up sites on the Freightliner yard. First thing Monday morning I met with the RV service manager (Kirk) to get me on his list. He told me he may be able to get it looked at later today (Monday) but my appt was for Tuesday. Wasn't 30 minutes later I had a repair tech at my door asking if he could look at my coach... of course I said! It didn't take him long to discover the chassis control module was fried. After thoroughly tracing down devices which the module controls and finding no issues he replaced the module. It worked, no issues at all. The only thing he could find was a possible loose pin on the main power to the module. So I have no smoking gun but I've driven her for 3 days with zero issues. Fingers crossed this issue is behind me.

Again, I want to thank you all for your suggestions and support. I also wish none of you ever have to drive behind your coach while it's being towed!

Safe travels, Don
Old 05-04-2018, 06:42 AM   #40

Always glad to hear things turned out good, safe trvaels
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote