Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2023, 12:39 PM   #1

Help with a purchase decision

We are trying to decide between keeping our 2022 Isata 5 30fw Explorer and buying a new 2022 DX3 37TS. I’m semi retired and it’s usually just the two of us and two medium size dogs. Occasionally two more people or five more (with grandkids) and no dogs. I doubt we’ll ever do off road camping. Thus far all trips are booked for higher end resorts for weeks or a month at a time. We’ll flat tow a jeep with either rig. Doubt we’ll be heading out in really cold weather. Cost is not a consideration.

Pros and cons if either or both? Definitely staying with Dynamax

Thanks for any thoughts.
wposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 12:57 PM   #2

We sold our Isata 5 36DS and bought a DX3 37RB. We loved the Isata, but having a washer and dryer is an improvement that I don't ever want to give up. Also, the RB has a clothes bar and extra space in the laundry area that is great for kids' and guests' belongings. There are many differences, but laundry always comes to my mind.Click image for larger version

Name:	20210829_111810.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	283397
Old 01-28-2023, 04:56 PM   #3

Help with a purchase decision

We have a 2021 XL 3801 TS, same floor plan as the 37TS DX3. We love it. Can’t imagine trying to haul 4 adults and kids in the Isata. I’m sure it can be done and is done by many. But…if cost is no object might as well go big! You won’t regret it.

The opposing slides were the decision point for us. The TS models just live big. Although, I am a little envious of MouseHouse’s extra half bath!
“Breathe in, Breathe out, Move on”
MoJoe1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 05:43 PM   #4

Don't have much of a baseline to compare with as our 2017 XL is the first RV we've ever owned (except for the LTV we owned for one month and never used).

Anyway, we looked for over 2 years and the drive of the Freightliner chassis is what sold us. Much better than any Class A we drove, or the one Isata 5 on a RAM chassis.

There's more to the decision than just space in my opinion. But we do have ample space and the bath and a half is also a huge advantage. Lastly, we had not seen washer and dryer placed adjacent to each other on any other RV and I think that configuration is so much nicer than the usual over/under.
Lubehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 12:12 AM   #5

In our experience, no matter the combination we had up until the Force HD we always seemed to get to our GVWR without much trouble. I always found myself pushing my rig to what the paper says are its limits for weight etc. I loaded more toys than most do in our travel trailers/truck (water, supplies, people, extra kitchen sink, you name it!) and at best I am guessing it was around 5,000lbs additional between the TT and the Truck, SXS in the bed etc. The Dynamax models on the the freightliner chassis let you tow a ton for sure (20k) which is often a big reason people upgrade to them. However, one of the biggest draws for us was the campers ability to carry a little over 7,000lbs according to the door sticker. With that kind of Capacity there is no more worrying about am I overloading and driving up the weight. So if you find yourself at the "limits" the big rig opens up the comfort zone of being able to bring what you want and still pass going up hill with the big motor. Stepping up from the 6.7ISB Cummins was also a big factor, as I did not want to get to the capacity of the new rig and realize I wish I had left more on the table out of the gate. I was looking forward to the 8.9ISL Cummins, but received a Detroit in ours and much to our surprise and delight I am now a Detroit Fan in addition to continued and lifelong Cummins Loyalty. The 7.7 DD8 is a hell of a motor. Only nonsense I ever hear about it (and experienced myself) was DEF related and resolved with a 1 day visit to freightliner.
Old Setup Pushing the limits
Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	354.4 KB
ID:	283416

My wife also frequently brings up the safety factor behind the big freightliner too. The Isata is pretty big, but it still loses a lot of battles in a multi-vehicle accident. The Freightliner on the other hand has to scuffle with something pretty obnoxious before you lose the battle. The minute she saw a TS model it was all over too. The dual opposing slides makes for ballroom dancing size space. We have been on several trips in the rain and entertained 8-10 visitors for hectic but doable meals out of the rain. We went with the Force over the DX3 due to the familiarity with Propane systems, and it being Penn State Colors! Jokes aside, I would have sprung for the DX3 and not let my worries get ahead of me if I did it again. I had not even heard of Aquahot until the show we saw a DX3 and Force and made our choice.

Lastly, with regard to non-paved camping. I boondock the Force regularly in often muddy slick wet grass. I am cognizant and put adequate pads under tires to give myself the best odds, but big girl has never needed the Dif Lock switch to get out yet. I looked at some of the 4x4 Class C's long and hard before concluding that the time I likely needed 4x4 was likely because something had gone pretty wrong. I have not looked back on that decision.

Boondocking in the Grass, on a little incline
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	375.9 KB
ID:	283414Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	322.4 KB
ID:	283415
(For those interested the windmill pcs are in Central City, PA. Mountain Ridge. About 15 minutes from the Flight 93 Memorial)
11FT Triton ATV Trailer / Artic Cat SXS
Retired: 2011 Dutchman Aerolite/2015 FR Heritage Glen
FORCE of Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 08:27 AM   #6
Steve & Linda M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubehead View Post
Anyway, we looked for over 2 years and the drive of the Freightliner chassis is what sold us. Much better than any Class A we drove, or the one Isata 5 on a RAM chassis.
We test drove the Isata5 and a 2017 DX3 at the Florida Super Show, last year. At the Lazydays dealership. We were doing research on what to replace our 2017 Tiffin with.

Driving the Class A (Tiffin) was a handful in the handling department. My wide couldn't get comfortable driving it over about 60mph. Too much wallowing and wind/truck gust pushing. Constant steering correction. Had numerous front end updates like Koni shocks, steering stabilizer, MCU's https://www.ultrarvproducts.com/Airbag-Control-Units always with alignment. Made incremental improvements, but never really resolved chasing directional control.

My wife did the test drives of both the Isata5 and the DX3. She had the DX3 up to 70 on the highway and didn't even realize it. She's the lead foot in the family.

She noted that driving, the Isata5 wasn't as stable as the DX3. I suppose that shouldn't be surprising given the DX3 is on the Freightliner M2 chassis.

We're sold on the solidity and handling of the M2 chassis. It's a dream compared to the Tiffin Class A. And not to be forgotten is the convenience of being able to have service performed at any Freightliner Service center. There are many of these in commercial use. You can find a list of dealerships that service the Isata5 in these forums. Not every RAM dealer has the ability.
Started in the "Pumpkin" '79 Burnt Orange Dodge "Street Van" ... NW cruise, Canadian Rockies, Round trip to Alaska. Then' 94 Tioga Montara, '06 Jayco Jay Flight 5th Wheel. Workmanship decline started : '15 Thor Siesta & '17 Tiffin Breeze.
Another RV learning experience with our 2022 34KD Force.
2019 Jeep KL (Cherokee) TOAD
MevetS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 11:18 AM   #7
MSgt & MSgt, USAF Retired

Having had a 2020 Isata 5 36DS and now the DX3 37RB we wish we would have went big out of the shoot. Like many others the weight restrictions was way too close on the 36DS, I understand the smaller rigs have a little more room. Just the overall driving experience in the DX3 setting up high and be able to see further down the road and being out of the over spray when it's raining is a bonus. The heating system in the DX3 is awesome compared to the forces hot air in the Isata..
2020 Ultra CVO
Traded in 2020 ISATA 5 36DS
clockcuff_66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 02:10 PM   #8

The wife and I looked for almost 2 years before deciding on the Force. We almost went with a 30FW, but now glad we did not. The extra space, washer and dryer, extra CCC, and having a very nice view from the M2 are great perks we wouldn't have had in the Isata. We travel/camp with a family of 4-5 and a 28 pound dog.

If money isn't an obstacle you may want to go with lithium and toss some extra panels up top.
-Demco Air Force One
-Remco 2pc Drive Shaft w/Disconnect
-Blue-Ox Avail Tow Bar and Baseplate
NewToTheForce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 03:46 PM   #9

We have no hope of owning either unit, but since price is no object, you'd probably be happier with the DX3.

It's 6' longer, but since you're doing resorts and not state or national campgrounds that's not an issue. In all other respects, the DX3 outshines the Isata.... CCC, King Bed, washer/dryer option, more seating area, etc.

Not to mention their ability to survive a crash. https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...20-259902.html
Old 01-29-2023, 04:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wposey View Post
We are trying to decide between keeping our 2022 Isata 5 30fw Explorer and buying a new 2022 DX3 37TS. I’m semi retired and it’s usually just the two of us and two medium size dogs. Occasionally two more people or five more (with grandkids) and no dogs. I doubt we’ll ever do off road camping. Thus far all trips are booked for higher end resorts for weeks or a month at a time. We’ll flat tow a jeep with either rig. Doubt we’ll be heading out in really cold weather. Cost is not a consideration.

Pros and cons if either or both? Definitely staying with Dynamax

Thanks for any thoughts.
If you are going to have five more people, the 37TS would be nice with the front swivel seats and additional floor space.
NOJO RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 05:32 PM   #11
Norwood Auto Italia

Since your objective is going to be High End Camp Grounds - get the biggest house replica you can afford. You are in effect trading your home for various alternative equal locations and dont need any of the advantages that the Isata 5 series might offer.
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 08:09 PM   #12

Thank you all for your perspectives and advice. I’ll report back what we do.
Old 02-01-2023, 03:11 AM   #13

if money is no object the XL 3801TS is a no brainer over the DX3 or Force. The most import difference being the notably larger engine. IMHO the Force and DX 3 are underpowered. I have a 2017 Force 37TS and tow a Jeep Grand Cherokee which is <7000 lbs. Not even close to the rated 20k lbs. The sheer HP and torque of the larger engine in the XL make it the clear choice for towing and comfortable highway cruize speeds at or near DOT posted highway speeds.

Then again, if price is no object the Reneage dual rear axle, such as the Renegade Sport-Truck Classic or Renegade XL. The are many floor plans to choose from. The two big pluses of Renegade over Dynamax. 1) Although both on Freightliner chassis, the Renegage is on the much higher end Freightliner Cascadia. The Cascadia is larger, more powerful, and has a much better driver compartment. 2) Two rear axles solve two big problems of the Freighliner M2 Chassis used on the Dynamaxes. One is the very long "tail-swing" on the M2. The single rear axle leaves a huge amount of the RV box hanging out over the rear axle. When making a sharge meneuver in a parting lot, or around fuel pumps you need to allow an extraordinatery amound of space for the way the rear end will swing out much further than you may anticipate. It takes some seat time to get used to that, and even then it can be a nuissance. The two rear axles increases towing capacity significantly. The Cascadias larger engines make the whole driving experience a no-brianer. i beleive one of the largest dealers is https://www.sporttruckrv.com/ in Phoenix AZ. There may be others. Good luck with your quest. It's a lot of work doing all the work.

2021 Force 37TS (Detroit DD8)
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
2020 Isata-5 36DS (traded in)
Invisibleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 08:27 AM   #14
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisibleman View Post
Then again, if price is no object the Reneage dual rear axle, such as the Renegade Sport-Truck Classic or Renegade XL. The are many floor plans to choose from. The two big pluses of Renegade over Dynamax. 1) Although both on Freightliner chassis, the Renegage is on the much higher end Freightliner Cascadia. The Cascadia is larger, more powerful, and has a much better driver compartment. 2) Two rear axles solve two big problems of the Freighliner M2 Chassis used on the Dynamaxes. One is the very long "tail-swing" on the M2. The single rear axle leaves a huge amount of the RV box hanging out over the rear axle. When making a sharge meneuver in a parting lot, or around fuel pumps you need to allow an extraordinatery amound of space for the way the rear end will swing out much further than you may anticipate. It takes some seat time to get used to that, and even then it can be a nuissance. The two rear axles increases towing capacity significantly. The Cascadias larger engines make the whole driving experience a no-brianer. i beleive one of the largest dealers is https://www.sporttruckrv.com/ in Phoenix AZ. There may be others. Good luck with your quest. It's a lot of work doing all the work.
Well, I'm not exactly sure he said "Money is no object".

I pick up a few important clues...

1. decide between keeping our 2022 Isata 5 30fw Explorer and buying a new 2022 DX3 37TS. (so pretty narrow focus)

2. trips are booked for higher end resorts for weeks or a month at a time. (might indicate a larger size lean)

3. We’ll flat tow a jeep with either rig. Doubt we’ll be heading out in really cold weather. (So it does not need to be 4 season, and does not need excessive towing)

4. Cost is not a consideration. (which I would assume means between the two, not that money is no object).

5. Definitely staying with Dynamax

You might have been able to save yourself a little work

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 10:34 AM   #15

Quote:
Then again, if price is no object the Reneage dual rear axle, such as the Renegade Sport-Truck Classic or Renegade XL. The are many floor plans to choose from. The two big pluses of Renegade over Dynamax. 1) Although both on Freightliner chassis, the Renegage is on the much higher end Freightliner Cascadia. The Cascadia is larger, more powerful, and has a much better driver compartment. 2) Two rear axles solve two big problems of the Freighliner M2 Chassis used on the Dynamaxes. One is the very long "tail-swing" on the M2. The single rear axle leaves a huge amount of the RV box hanging out over the rear axle. When making a sharge meneuver in a parting lot, or around fuel pumps you need to allow an extraordinatery amound of space for the way the rear end will swing out much further than you may anticipate. It takes some seat time to get used to that, and even then it can be a nuissance. The two rear axles increases towing capacity significantly.
I can see why Invisibleman is a little bias toward Longhaul style coaches, as it seems to be what he has primarily done with his since taking delivery. He has been all over the country. We have chatted about the DD8 engine braking, and power before. The M2 being a short haul chassis makes it a little less ideal for those wanting the Long Open Road cruises. Not that the M2 isn't perfectly suited for it, but I imagine a true Longhaul chassis would ride even nicer. I did not find the rear swing an issue out of the gate, and find it tracks the trailer I am towing nicely around corners. I fear the big tag axel monster would loose too much turn radius when towing. So, while the butt does indeed swing out now, it also swings/tracks my trailer around a street corner quite nicely. I also drive the northeast a lot where the M2 is more nimble. I believe Invisibleman is out west where its a little more open. To each their own!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
You might have been able to save yourself a little work
....Also Brian, in his defense he did say it was a No BRIANer...
Quote:
... make the whole driving experience a no-brianer.
I joke of course
11FT Triton ATV Trailer / Artic Cat SXS
Retired: 2011 Dutchman Aerolite/2015 FR Heritage Glen
FORCE of Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 10:45 AM   #16
Commercial Member

Turning radius and overhand has come up 1000 times and I am always swayed back and forth.

I had our guys looking to alter each and every chassis to lengthen the wheel base due to complaints....but you are 100% correct. As soon as I do, someone chimes in about how great it tracks the trailer, how nice it is to get into tight camp sites....and I might know a guy that needed to do a 20 point turn around on a narrow country road at a dead end. Without our turning radius, I'm not sure it was possible.

That of course is my 50/50 rule. Once you change something to accommodate people that want something changed, you then hear from the other 50% that wanted it to stay the same. So, I guess we're doing something right, we're right in the middle

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 05:07 PM   #17

3801TS

Re-reading the original post, I guess I did run off the original question which was specific between the two choices. I guess I was thinking if he already picked out the DX3 37TS and "cost is not a consideration," then why not at least consider a third choice, pretty must the same floor plan with the bigger engine in the Dynaquest XL 3801TS. And yes, the upgrade to the DX3 would certainly be just that, a great upgrade and one he would never regret and one I would certainly recommend. A ways back I posted a very similar question wondering about upgading from my then Isata-5 to the M2 chassis. I lot of good reasons were given why I should, and wouldn't regret it. So that is what I did. If I can find that post I will link to it.

And yes, I am biased towards the more powerful "long haul rigs", for my reasons given. Yes, the DD8 in the Force and DX3 is definately suitable for many applications, both in towing and driver preferences. Not for mine, for reasons given. That said, price IS a "consideration" for me, so I am staying right were I am with my Force 37TS and am content with it. I guess in preparing my response to the original question I did interpret, "price is not a consideration," to be all encompasing. I did not read that to mean, the only choice he was looking at was either the Force or DX3, Perhaps not the case, IDK. And yes, there are many considerations other than big engines on big chassis. This is just my opinion.

2021 Force 37TS (Detroit DD8)
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
2020 Isata-5 36DS (traded in)
Invisibleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 05:15 PM   #18

To clarify for everyone. I am definitely staying in the Dynamax brand. Their support and management have just been outstanding with us. We have a 2022 Explorer and really like it. Had a 2021 that got destroyed in a storage fire. I want the DX3 for many of the reasons stated. I need to convince the boss. She has final say. We have a great dealer, Performance RV in ohio, helping us. We’ll know soon who wins the vote.
Old 02-22-2023, 09:19 PM   #19

Thank you all for your comments and assistance. My wife and I decided today to buy the DX3. Hopefully picking it up in the next week or two. Looking forward to our first trip in mid March.
Old 02-22-2023, 09:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wposey View Post
Thank you all for your comments and assistance. My wife and I decided today to buy the DX3. Hopefully picking it up in the next week or two. Looking forward to our first trip in mid March.

Congratulations, good choice. Make sure you share some pictures when you pic her up. Travel safely.