Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2021, 12:57 PM   #1

Help with Firefly Tank Level Readings

I have an 2020 Isata-3 24RW with the Firefly 7" Multiplex control panel.
Everything works well except for the Fresh and Gray tank level readings, an issue since the RV was new.

Settings Screen: GUI Version 1.10, Logic Controller Version 1.10.
Network Diagnostic Screen: Fireware Version 1.6, Config Version 1.10.
No faults are displayed. Sensor Status are Valid.

With the RV level here's what happens:
Filling the freshwater tank, the display level increases as it should to 40% then drops to Empty and stays at Empty as the tank fills to capacity.
When draining the tank at 30 - 40% the display starts reading correctly again.

Photos Below:
1. At 30% capacity the Signal Strength is reading 13 and Red.
2. When Full the Signal Strength is reading N/A and the level shows 0%.
3. Black tank readings for comparison.

Gray tank acts the same way.
Black tank seems to operate normally.

I have a call into Firefly but have not received a return call.
Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0750.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	386.1 KB
ID:	254217   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0740.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	363.8 KB
ID:	254219   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0732.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	365.5 KB
ID:	254220  
snapperhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 01:16 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Just to be clear, this is what I had received from Firefly about tech support.

574.825.4600 hit 1 for tech support. You Have to leave a voice mail and then you go into our que.

Or fill out the form on your phone and you will get a call back with a tech ready to chat with you that has some idea what is going on with the coach.

https://www.fireflyintegrations.com/support.html

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 01:19 PM   #3
Commercial Member

If you have not filled out the form, I would try that route.

Old 05-11-2021, 02:05 PM   #4

Thanks bclemens, I'll complete the form as you suggest.
Do you know where the G12 unit is located in my 24RW?
Are these tank sensors mounted on top of each tank?
Old 05-11-2021, 02:17 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapperhead View Post
Thanks bclemens, I'll complete the form as you suggest.
Do you know where the G12 unit is located in my 24RW?
Are these tank sensors mounted on top of each tank?
I'll have to check on the G12...as for sensors, they are a "paddle type" that mounts towards the bottom of the tank and it measures the distance to the surface of the water internally.

Old 05-11-2021, 09:30 PM   #6

Firefly tank levels consistently inconsistent. I also have a 2020 Isata 3RW that has had issues Since I took delivery of the unit. The black tank sensor has been the closest to near accurate but will occasionally bounce from 50% to 0% within a one minute. The gray tank will show 0% in the evening and following morning will have a reading. Basically at 8 to 10 hour delay. I am currently on a cross country California to Maryland road trip and my freshwater is sensor is leaking water from the side of the tank. I have contacted firefly tech support and they believe that an o-ring failed. Also prior to the water leak the fresh water sensor was failing. They are shipping a new sensor and O-ring to my destination in Maryland. I am so frustrated with this true tank water monitoring system and I’m ready to put a whole different system on my Dynamax Isata3.
Wasitok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 03:16 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasitok View Post
Firefly tank levels consistently inconsistent. I also have a 2020 Isata 3RW that has had issues Since I took delivery of the unit. The black tank sensor has been the closest to near accurate but will occasionally bounce from 50% to 0% within a one minute. The gray tank will show 0% in the evening and following morning will have a reading. Basically at 8 to 10 hour delay. I am currently on a cross country California to Maryland road trip and my freshwater is sensor is leaking water from the side of the tank. I have contacted firefly tech support and they believe that an o-ring failed. Also prior to the water leak the fresh water sensor was failing. They are shipping a new sensor and O-ring to my destination in Maryland. I am so frustrated with this true tank water monitoring system and I’m ready to put a whole different system on my Dynamax Isata3.
I have personally tried them all. None are perfect. Might just need new sensors, but we have also found running the right wires can help. We have continually made tweaks, going to a twisted pair, then twisted, shielded.

Old 05-12-2021, 12:56 PM   #8

I spoke with Firefly Tech Support today. I was instructed to find the Firefly G12 unit and disconnect the J11 tank wire connection, then examine the pins and wires. After reinstalling the connector I leveled the RV and filled my tanks. No improvement, the fresh and gray levels fill to about 40% then drop to empty and stay there. The black gauge seems to work as it should. I now await a return call from Tech Support.
The Firefly G12 unit in my 24RW is accessed under the kitchen sink by removing the forward facing panel.
Old 05-17-2021, 06:12 PM   #9
Norwood Auto Italia

Quote:
I spoke with Firefly Tech Support today. I was instructed to find the Firefly G12 unit and disconnect the J11 tank wire connection, then examine the pins and wires. After reinstalling the connector I leveled the RV and filled my tanks. No improvement, the fresh and gray levels fill to about 40% then drop to empty and stay there. The black gauge seems to work as it should. I now await a return call from Tech Support.
The Firefly G12 unit in my 24RW is accessed under the kitchen sink by removing the forward facing panel.
I had the same problems - same tanks. work with Firefly, they will get you fixed. I suspect they are having a problem with their sensor supplier which is becoming a bigger issue throughout the automotive and aerospace world. Onan/Cummins, previously known for bullet proof generators is seeing an increasing failure rate driven almost entirely by malfunctioning sensors.
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 11:21 AM   #10

Thank you vlamgat for sharing your experience. I'm going to call Firefly Tech Support again today they haven't returned my call I made on 05/12/21. Not surprising, for some reason I seem to fall into the cracks a lot. Just Bad Luck I guess!
Old 05-21-2021, 06:40 AM   #11
Norwood Auto Italia

Quote:
Thank you vlamgat for sharing your experience. I'm going to call Firefly Tech Support again today they haven't returned my call I made on 05/12/21. Not surprising, for some reason I seem to fall into the cracks a lot. Just Bad Luck I guess!
Not so much between the cracks but like many companies with specialized electronic/software/manufacturing technologies, its very hard to find, train and keep good customer support personnel. Especially in Elkhart IN where there seems to be a shortage of all skills. Their CS folks will get to you but you need to be close to your phone at all times. If you miss their call back, you have to get to the back of the line by returning their call and restarting the process.

It helps too if you can have access to the coach when they call so you can immediately action any remedial steps they propose otherwise same thing, after you call back with the probable fail of the at test, back of the line!
Old 09-15-2021, 02:16 PM   #12

Final Report - After several calls and following Firefly Tech troubleshooting suggestions it was determined my fresh water tank sensor was bad. They sent me a replacement. Installation was not difficult and the gauge is now working as it should.
Old 09-15-2021, 02:29 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Glad to hear it. In the cracks no more

Old 09-15-2021, 02:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Final Report - After several calls and following Firefly Tech troubleshooting suggestions it was determined my fresh water tank sensor was bad. They sent me a replacement. Installation was not difficult and the gauge is now working as it should.

That’s great to hear that it’s working for you. I to have replaced the freshwater tank sensor. It now works under normal conditions but when it gets into a heat wave situation the freshwater tank shows zero. When it cools down it starts to read correctly again. Anyway better working some of the time then not any time.
Wasitok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 03:29 PM   #15
Norwood Auto Italia

I sense that Firefly, like many in the i-systems industry, are battling with shoddy vendor quality.

Tags
tank