Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2017, 08:03 AM   #1

High pitched whine from MB Sprinter

Hi all,

Anyone experience an intermitant whine that you hear while driving your Isata 3?

on mine it comes and goes and you hear it from the coach door area. generally at higher speeds and sometimes when you brake. I am pretty sure it is not wind noise.

thanks!
Ldhansenjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:55 AM   #2

I get it too. The higher the speed and the harder the braking. Turns out it is the DW.
chroniekon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:26 AM   #3

really stupid question.....DW?
Old 08-29-2017, 11:07 AM   #4

DW - Dear Wife [emoji23]

2017 Cherokee 294BH
2015 Ram 2500 4x4 6.4L V8 Crew Cab
Moparman1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 12:20 PM   #5

Crap! I sure walked into that one!
Old 08-29-2017, 12:35 PM   #6

Have the same issue with our 2013 Solera on the MB Sprinter chassis. Would be interested in what you find out.
RonnieT56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 12:41 PM   #7

Isn't it a turbo diesel? Are you sure it's not the turbocharger?? I am not familiar with the MB but other turbo vehicles I have own and ridden in have a high pitched sound.
Dr Safety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 12:58 PM   #8

It is a turbo diesel. I have had other turbo's and very obvious when the turbo spins up. Don't think that is the issue in this case.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldhansenjr View Post
It is a turbo diesel. I have had other turbo's and very obvious when the turbo spins up. Don't think that is the issue in this case.
Didn't mean to imply that you didn't know what a turbo sounded like, just checking the obvious. When we had our first turbo and it kicked in the first thing my wife asked was what's that noise
Dr Safety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 05:59 PM   #10

Sorry I couldn't resist. But in all seriousness, I have the same rig and have not heard what you describe. I'm wondering if some debris (a little stick or something) could be caught in the brake rotor area. Or maybe a piece of the inner fender panel hanging loose. Just a guess at the easy stuff to check.
chroniekon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 08:57 AM   #11

Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by chroniekon View Post
Sorry I couldn't resist. But in all seriousness, I have the same rig and have not heard what you describe. I'm wondering if some debris (a little stick or something) could be caught in the brake rotor area. Or maybe a piece of the inner fender panel hanging loose. Just a guess at the easy stuff to check.
Hearing in the higher pitch range goes first, Don't know your age but you may have aged out of at least one annoying noise. I hear very few noises .
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 04:40 PM   #12

This may be a silly answer, but i had the same "problem". Turned out to be the radio in the coach. When left on (for example when it was used for TV sound), it made a high pitched whine that drove me crazy until I figured it out.
jeffrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 04:43 PM   #13
Pawnee Buffalo Hunter

Could a cat be trapped in or around your engine somewhere?

I once kept hearing what I thought was a baby crying. I kept looking all over, in and out, for that baby. Even accused my GF of having a baby hid somewhere. I went several nights not being able to sleep. Babies scare me to death. Some are so dang ugly. I've had nightmares all my life of an ugly baby peeking at me through my bedroom window at night. Well, back to our point. Needless to say, the sound turned out to be a cat, and my GF left me a week later for a female coworker.
LittleMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 05:57 PM   #14

That's kind of embarrassing.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 01:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMoose View Post
Could a cat be trapped in or around your engine somewhere?

I once kept hearing what I thought was a baby crying. I kept looking all over, in and out, for that baby. Even accused my GF of having a baby hid somewhere. I went several nights not being able to sleep. Babies scare me to death. Some are so dang ugly. I've had nightmares all my life of an ugly baby peeking at me through my bedroom window at night. Well, back to our point. Needless to say, the sound turned out to be a cat, and my GF left me a week later for a female coworker.
You sir win the internet for today