Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2021, 10:03 AM   #1

Hot water tank leaking

I mad a huge mistake and released the pressure valve on the hot water tank while it was on. Luckily I didn't die. Now the tank is leaking. I'm guessing I will need to replace it. Does anyone know if the whole thing needs replaced or if it can be fixed by any chance?
Kasha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 10:16 AM   #2
Site Team

If it's leaking out the T&P (Pressure Valve), you can try to turn off the water to the RV and releave the pressure and open the valve and let it snap closed a few times. That may seal it off.
Old 06-01-2021, 10:45 AM   #3

Thanks for your quick reply.. How do I know where it is leaking? In other words how can I tell if it's leaking from the T & P pressure valve? Maybe by trying the fix you suggested or some other way?
Old 06-01-2021, 10:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasha1 View Post
Thanks for your quick reply.. How do I know where it is leaking? In other words how can I tell if it's leaking from the T & P pressure valve? Maybe by trying the fix you suggested or some other way?
Leave the outside cover open and watch it while hot and heating. You can actually see it leaking. Also you can see where the water has run down by streaking etc. If it's leaking from somewhere else you may see that there too, although -- sad to say -- water can leak from many locations in the unit. Good luck!
Old 06-01-2021, 11:07 AM   #5

Thanks again. So if leaking from another spot rather than T & P valve probably needs replaced? Do RV mechanics help with this type of thing? Or will they likely say it needs replaced? ��
Old 06-01-2021, 11:22 AM   #6
Site Team

Is the water leaking inside the RV?

As MNTraveler said, it's easy to tell if it's the T&P valve is leaking. You'll see it dripping when you look at it.

If the tank is leaking it needs replacing, however, there are a few pieces that thread into the tank that could be leaking so you wouldn't need a new heater.

If you can't decide where it's leaking it from, it's best to call a tech to inspect it for you.
Old 06-01-2021, 12:59 PM   #7

Thank you so much. I'm a rookie and don't have much info on these things. I don't believe it's leaking inside, just outside. Leaking out of the door and most likely the t and p valve. Thanks again. I will have it inspected.
Old 06-01-2021, 02:55 PM   #8
Site Team

Moved to Dynamax sub-forum, for possible factory support.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 03:17 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Quote:
I mad a huge mistake and released the pressure valve on the hot water tank while it was on. Luckily I didn't die. Now the tank is leaking. I'm guessing I will need to replace it. Does anyone know if the whole thing needs replaced or if it can be fixed by any chance?
before anyone can really answer anything...what model motorhome do you have? What water heater?

I see from an earlier slide post, it looks to be an Isata 3, but no year. SO Truma water heater? In that case...how do you know it is leaking? It's likely not a tank, but an On-demand (Atwood or Truma).

If you can't tell if it is leaking from the T&P valve....then how do you know you opened the T&P valve? what were you trying to do? Are you sure it was not just the "Drain valve"? In that case, you might just need to open it back up (NOT under pressure), and reseat the O-ring. OR, it could just be from high pressure at the water lines.

Water pressure that is too high, will get past the O-ring of the Truma.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 04:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Not trying to be a smart ass or insult anyone, but after you released the pressure valve and got sprayed with hot water, did you make sure it was closed again? If not, that would likely cause a continuing leak. I just can't imagine how opening the valve, even with the tank full of hot water, would cause anything to continue leaking.
Adrian Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 05:52 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Gordon View Post
I just can't imagine how opening the valve, even with the tank full of hot water, would cause anything to continue leaking.
Sometimes when you open the T&P valve a piece of trash or buildup can get between the disc and seat when it's closing and cause a drip. Usually opening the valve a few times after clears the debris and allows the valve to seal again.
Old 06-01-2021, 10:59 PM   #12

Same thing happened to mine on my old fleetwood. Since I couldn’t find a replacement in town, As a temp fix I got a drain plug and plugged it.

Forgot about it and it was that way for years.

Now I’m not telling you to do this, because the pressure release is there for a reason, but in a pinch that’s what I did.

—john
johndjmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 03:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndjmix View Post
Same thing happened to mine on my old fleetwood. Since I couldn’t find a replacement in town, As a temp fix I got a drain plug and plugged it.

Forgot about it and it was that way for years.

Now I’m not telling you to do this, because the pressure release is there for a reason, but in a pinch that’s what I did.

—john
I would rather not have hot water than doing this and taking the chance of blowing my plumbing apart. Or, worst case, turning the water heater into a bomb and killing somebody.

Bruce
Old 06-02-2021, 07:08 AM   #14

Quote:
Thank you so much. I'm a rookie and don't have much info on these things. I don't believe it's leaking inside, just outside. Leaking out of the door and most likely the t and p valve. Thanks again. I will have it inspected.
Kasha, tell me exactly what you did. Open the cover and look to see where the water is coming out. Did you pull the yellow handle down? If so the o ring on the screen may be out of place. If you opened the tand p valve just open and close it a few times to clear the debris.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 07:09 AM   #15

FYI she has a 2017 Isata3RW with a Truma hot water heater.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 10:09 AM   #16

2017 Dynamax Isata 3RW with truma hot Water tank. I opened the yellow handle while it was under pressure. I will check the o ring. I'm not sure what the t and p valve is. Will look up. Thank you kindly for your help.
Old 06-03-2021, 10:10 AM   #17

Thanks Bill.
Old 06-03-2021, 10:25 AM   #18
Commercial Member

Quote:
2017 Dynamax Isata 3RW with truma hot Water tank. I opened the yellow handle while it was under pressure. I will check the o ring. I'm not sure what the t and p valve is. Will look up. Thank you kindly for your help.
OK, yes, that is not the T&P valve. That is simple the drain/filter valve. As you can see in my Truma video, I did the exact same thing by accident.

The T&P valve is actually above the drain...top left when looking from the outside, it will have a tag hanging on it normally.

When you open that yellow valve, there is a filter/screen in there. (again, I show this in the Truma youtube video). That has an O-ring and it will often displace if opened under pressure. So make sure that is seated properly.

THEN, if it still leaks at that opening, then the water pressure at the campsite is likely too high. If you do not have a water pressure regulator...then just fill the tank and run off the pump.

PS. Youtube video link

Old 06-03-2021, 10:29 AM   #19
Site Team

Ok, what you did was partially open the "Easy Drain Lever" which is different than the T&P valve. The inlet filter is behind that lever, so it's likely that you dislodged the o-ring(s) on the filter body. The best thing to do is turn off the heater and relieve the pressure and re-open the easy drain lever and pull the filter and check the o-ring(s). If they're in good shape put them back in place and put the filter back in the heater and close the lever. Hopefully that will fix your problem.

P.S. You can find the instructions in the heater manual, and you can find the manual at the Truma website. Truma Tankless Water Heater Manual
Old 06-03-2021, 10:32 AM   #20
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Ok, what you did was partially open the "Easy Drain Lever" which is different than the T&P valve. The inlet filter is behind that lever, so it's likely that you dislodged the o-ring(s) on the filter body. The best thing to do is turn off the heater and relieve the pressure and re-open the easy drain lever and pull the filter and check the o-ring(s). If they're in good shape put them back in place and put the filter back in the heater and close the lever. Hopefully that will fix your problem.

P.S. You can find the instructions in the heater manual, and you can find the manual at the Truma website. Truma Tankless Water Heater Manual
got you by 4 minutes. I should have waited a bit...saved me some time.

Tags
hot water, leak, tank, water, water tank