Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2021, 03:49 PM   #1

House Door Alignment

Just picked up a '21 Isata 3 RW and drove it about 1700 miles on the maiden voyage home. Overall a great experience with a few expected minor squeaks and rattles to address.

We did notice excessive road/wind noise coming from the house door and also have had some difficulty getting the door to latch and lock. After some inspection I noticed a couple things ...
  • The door is somewhat bowed at the top and bottom and not making contact with the frame which is allowing for road noise to enter. The gap at the latch pin is roughly 1/2" and a little over 3/4" at the top and the bottom of the door. I was reading some other threads and noticed some had replaced their door seals with Trim-Lok. Should I go this route or is there an adjustment I can make to close the gap?
  • The door doesn't appear to strike the latching pin in the center. Almost as if the door is hung about 1/4" too low. Is this something I can adjust?

Been reading the forums quite a bit ... great community with lots of useful information which is much appreciated as this is our first RV.
RudyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 04:22 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. Seeing this is brand new I would take it to a dealer to get a paper trail started and the door adjusted or replaced.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 01:28 PM   #3

I had a similar problem with my 2019 I3 FW. Had some warranty work done at the factory. They adjust the door but still had a lot of wind noise. I replaced the door gasket as per a few threads and it helped with wind noise a little but resulted in door not closing flush with the outside wall surface. Thinking about going back to the standard gasket. I think you may have a different door? Hopefully an improvement. It would be nice to have a different latch that could draw the door into place for a tighter seal.
Old 04-11-2021, 04:20 PM   #4

Cool

Yeah, the door is on my list of warranty items to have the dealer take a look at. In the meantime, I added some bulb seal around the frame to cut down on the road noise.

I confirmed the door is definitely hung too low and preventing it from fully latching. There appears to be two latching stages ... since the latching pin is not centered, it rides on the door and does not allow the door to complete the second stage which would pull it tighter and make better contact with the seals.
RudyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:13 PM   #5

Before I went to a larger gasket I would have to push very hard or slam the door. With the larger door gasket I had to move the door pin out to get it to latch in the second stage. Still need to slam the door, which is against my principles, but necessary. I noticed the same thing on other I3s. Going to go back to the original gasket and find another way to seal the door. It seem to be a difficult manufacturing problem to keep both the wall and door plains the same. After slamming the door a few dozen times I need to tighten to door lock bolts. Not very happy about that! My door pin is too high also but still goes into the second stage.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:02 PM   #6
hhl

Isata 3fw
After 2 years my door lock did not latch well. Noticed lock housing had shifted a little on the door frame.
Loosened 3 screws on inside door lock housing, moved it up a little.
Tightened screws and now the door locks like new again.
2 photos showing 2018 lock style.Click image for larger version

Name:	20210412_204248.jpeg
Views:	473
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	251836Click image for larger version

Name:	20210412_204503.jpeg
Views:	473
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	251837
hhl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alignment, door