Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2019, 03:53 PM   #1
Seņor Miembro

How can there be two different msrp's for same option?

We're trying to buy a XL 37BH and received two build sheets from two different dealers.
One has the washer/dryer factory installed for $1,792.50
The other newer by a few months has the same factory option listed for $2,328.

Have there been huge increases in w/d prices in the last few months?
In writing this I did a spreadsheet comparison.
The newer one base price is $5,700 more too.
But solar panels, Reclining seats, Entertainment Center are all the same price.
What gives? Anyone know?
Rancher Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 03:58 PM   #2

Tariffs, material and labor increases, and other factors. I've noticed the same on vehicle MSRP factory stickers but not quite to that level.
woo10-210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 05:16 PM   #3

Do the build sheets suggest two different model years?
steverkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 05:28 PM   #4

Are both the same (and separate machines?) model washer and dryer?
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 05:36 PM   #5

You know when a salesmen is lying. His mouth moves.

In the past the auto dealers printed all those documents in the back room.

The camper guys are several steps lower. They cheat in all kinds of fun ways with stickers and fees.

Only compare bottom lines. Learn to be a good shopper. Compare apples to apples.

In general dealers are worthless for much.

I will buy next time on bottom line only. You are on your own after you write the check.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:19 PM   #6
Seņor Miembro

The RV's are both advertised as 2019 but one of the build sheets does say 2020 on it. So maybe that is it, just the annual theft of our money through inflation.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:47 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancher Rob View Post
We're trying to buy a XL 37BH and received two build sheets from two different dealers.
One has the washer/dryer factory installed for $1,792.50
The other newer by a few months has the same factory option listed for $2,328.

Have there been huge increases in w/d prices in the last few months?
In writing this I did a spreadsheet comparison.
The newer one base price is $5,700 more too.
But solar panels, Reclining seats, Entertainment Center are all the same price.
What gives? Anyone know?
Sometimes we change brands, or sometimes during model change I will review option pricing. We may have gotten 3-4 price increases during that time so we end up adjusting the option price. So maybe, for a while we are under-charging for an option...we cannot change pricing very time we get a price increase, so sometimes we eat a few before we adjust.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:46 PM   #8

when we first looked at the Isata 5 30fw, one dealer substantially overpriced the manufacturer's sticker price.
look at other dealers comparing the exact same model and options.
good luck from rainy Surprise, Az

ps: not all dealers misrepresent
Dick Skeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 03:11 AM   #9

Even if you end up ordering one and put money down with a dealer and have a purchase agreement, the manufacturer sometimes still increases prices on your ordered unit and passes the price increase to the dealer who most likely will pass it to you and will give you all kind of reasons justifying why you need to pay more money than you originally agreed upon. I know it stinks but it is the way it is. So if you are buying you may want to buy one from a dealer that has one in stock rather than ordering one. At least you know what you are getting and actually paying for it. If you join Dynamax Owners Group, sometime you can find some nice used Dynamax's at a good price.
uh60silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:37 AM   #10
Broken Toe

Any numbers given to you by a dealer are as trustworthy as a wino's word of honor.

I recommend running away from any dealer that imsists on using any kind of pricing info from the factory. Even "invoice". I can guarantee they are fantasy right up there with Peter Pan.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:14 AM   #11

When we got our Cherokee in 2017, the difference in price between our local dealer and a dealer in MN. for the exact same TT was $10,000. We bought from the local dealer.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 04:13 PM   #12
Erinn

Also depends on WHERE the RV comes from, at least that's the case for motor homes, since dealer pays a shipping company to drive it to their lot, from the factory.

For example, we live in Oregon, & bought a motor home that came from Indiana - The same, exact MH with the exact same options was CHEAPER, if we had gone to Colorado to purchase it (less travel expense for the dealer to have it driven from Indiana to Colorado, then from Indiana to Oregon.)
SunseekerFunseekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by uh60silverback View Post
Even if you end up ordering one and put money down with a dealer and have a purchase agreement, the manufacturer sometimes still increases prices on your ordered unit and passes the price increase to the dealer who most likely will pass it to you and will give you all kind of reasons justifying why you need to pay more money than you originally agreed upon. I know it stinks but it is the way it is. So if you are buying you may want to buy one from a dealer that has one in stock rather than ordering one. At least you know what you are getting and actually paying for it. If you join Dynamax Owners Group, sometime you can find some nice used Dynamax's at a good price.
I don't agree. I know a lot of folks have legitimate issues with dealers and this is an opportunity to vent. But, if you have a valid purchase agreement signed by both parties, and there is no fine print that gives the dealer the right to adjust the price later, they can't do it. They can try to pressure you by saying if you don't pay the higher price they'll cancel the deal and sell it at the higher price to the 3 people lined up to buy it, but if they do you have a very enforceable breach of contract that will cost them money.

When I ordered my DX3 the dealer tried to claim it was an estimate only and subject to any factory cost increases. I refused. I told them to pick up the phone and get a commitment from the factory for the price on my specific unit and write that language into the agreement, which they did.

This same dealer was also originally pricing the unit about 15K higher than multiple, exact same units if we ordered them online from dealer in Florida, etc. I told them to match the lowest online price which they did.

There are too many other options out there today to not get the best price. I told them I preferred to buy from them so they could make money servicing the unit, but only if they give the best price. Otherwise I would have no qualms about buying from out of state and picking the rig up.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunseekerFunseekers View Post
Also depends on WHERE the RV comes from, at least that's the case for motor homes, since dealer pays a shipping company to drive it to their lot, from the factory.

For example, we live in Oregon, & bought a motor home that came from Indiana - The same, exact MH with the exact same options was CHEAPER, if we had gone to Colorado to purchase it (less travel expense for the dealer to have it driven from Indiana to Colorado, then from Indiana to Oregon.)
I think that may be partially due to the fact the factory has to provide some sort of special certification for units destined for Oregon. I know I bought my rig in Colorado but ended up registering it in Oregon and I had to pay an additional $1000 or $1500 because the unit was purchased outside of Oregon but then brought in for registration.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:19 PM   #15
Senior

As I see it there are only a few things to consider.
A. What is the price with everything included (the price at the bottom of the contract).
B. What is the price of the loan if you are not paying cash.
C. Does this unit have everything you would order if you wanted to wait th have it built.i i ything else
sailski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:38 PM   #16

There can be!

I was told years ago, big house dealers can request the MSRP they want. Is it true? Can't answer that, but, i have an opinion.
tonys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:49 PM   #17

I saw different MSRPs on the same model year on the trailer I was looking at. Same exact thing happens with cars and trucks depending on when they are built. Manufacturers can change the price of the base price and options when they want.

Shouldn't matter at all when buying though. Nobody pays MSRP.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:16 PM   #18

I am betting the models on the washer and dryer are different or there was a price change along the way as BC mentioned.

Many times price protection applies for a specific amount of time to protect the manufacturer (FR in this case) from prices in the supply chain (OEM for washer/dryer) from killing them as they cut over. This allows them to hold the price for a short time before they complete the cut over. This is why even the same model appliance could have 2 different prices but show differently on the sheet.

Not that I trust all dealers but there are reasons they are different and they may not know. It does not always mean they are in the back printing new sheets.

As others said, focus on the bottom line. Good luck with your choice.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 02:12 AM   #19
Commercial Member

PS. any OEM if you ask them for an MSRP, they will give you one. The same one, every time. So its not like dealers can just change them. We are required by law to include one with every unit.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:32 AM   #20
Seņor Miembro

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Nobody pays MSRP.
Unfortunately, there are those that do pay sticker. It makes the salesperson's day when it happens! On cars, that's why they tack on "dealer upgrades" for undercoating and paint protection, etc. It's all total BS but there are so many innocents that don't know any better. Then there are those that are rich enough, they don't care!

"Life is tough. Even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne