Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2018, 11:36 PM   #21

Hard work and solid investments. End result house paid for and DX3 in the barn.

DW and I working together for nearly 40 years now enjoying a comfortable retirement.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:37 AM   #22

Anytime you get a raise , save half of the pay increase.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 06:11 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFred View Post
Anytime you get a raise , save half of the pay increase.
I used to do something like that, every year we got a raise it went into a raise in my 401 so with that and a pension ( remember what they are because we don't see many anymore ) and other investments we have what we do, not a Dynamax but that would be my motorhome choice but a large 5th wheel and full size tractor pulling it.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:32 AM   #24

Wow! So many awesome replies! Thanks to everyone that took the time to answer. And thanks for the warm welcome.

It sounds like most here are retired (or nearly so) so maybe I'm getting ahead of myself a bit. I'm about 15 years from retirement and was able to acquire a decent 5th wheel a couple of years ago that we use now but the prices of the new Dynamax's make me look in disbelief. I guess I need to keep plugging away. We have a good sized retirement fund but I'm not sure I could ever dip into that for an RV.

I have read The Millionaire Next Door (one of my favorite books ever!) but was curious what niche Dynamx owners here may have found to acquire some wealth. Sounds like the "live frugally and invest, invest, invest" maxim holds true with most here.
Snidely Whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:14 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Marry someone who got one in a Divorce settlement! Youroo!!
Well, as a divorced female, I bought my MBS Solera AFTER my divorce. It was on my bucket list for 30 yrs. and the ex never was interested and I couldn't persuade him to camp/travel. Now, all the men who see my Solera in my driveway hit on me mostly for my rv......

Ps- for me it's always been real estate & doing fixer uppers.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:22 PM   #26

Send a message via AIM to letsgorving Send a message via MSN to letsgorving Send a message via Yahoo to letsgorving
Quote:
Originally Posted by shultz01 View Post
Real nice. Did someone go potty in your Wheaties this morning? Seriously, if you don't have anything positive and productive to say then I, for one, would rather you please say nothing. We don't need negative comments trashing those of us that chose to purchase a top quality motorhome because we can afford it. Kindly learn how to spell and go spread your ill will somewhere else. Thanks.
Agree, and you can't put a price on the memories you make RVing. And we make them in a beautiful coach that travels down the road like a dream. No need for trolls on here pls
Old 05-15-2018, 01:36 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnlvr View Post
Well, as a divorced female, I bought my MBS Solera AFTER my divorce. It was on my bucket list for 30 yrs. and the ex never was interested and I couldn't persuade him to camp/travel. Now, all the men who see my Solera in my driveway hit on me mostly for my rv......

Ps- for me it's always been real estate & doing fixer uppers.
Was it the RV or Divorce that was on the 30 year Bucket List? Youroo!!
Old 05-15-2018, 01:42 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedu View Post
It takes LOTS and LOTS of money. To aford expensive toys you need a job that pays lots of it. And then you need to throw that money down the toilet. Wise investers put their available cash to work for them.
I haven't worked for 18 years. I did make investments that are paying off now. No money was ever thrown down the drain. Not every investment was successful, but enough were successful to pay cash for our DX3. While working I was always reminded by management Don't expect to have a comfortable retirement off Social Security. That is what drove our investment choices.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 02:30 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerdog1 View Post
It's not always about how much you earn. Although a fatter paycheck sure doesn't hurt. It's more about how you live your life. I personally know 7 people with no more than a high school diploma ( so no killer incomes ). All from modest backgrounds, so did not inherit. All are millionaires ( three are multi-millionaires ). Maybe read THE MILLIONAIRE NEXT DOOR for some pointers.

Tuckerdog1
X2 on MND book. Just get the revised edition, not the 80's edition.
mbbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 02:33 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snidely Whiplash View Post
Wow! So many awesome replies! Thanks to everyone that took the time to answer. And thanks for the warm welcome.

It sounds like most here are retired (or nearly so) so maybe I'm getting ahead of myself a bit. I'm about 15 years from retirement and was able to acquire a decent 5th wheel a couple of years ago that we use now but the prices of the new Dynamax's make me look in disbelief. I guess I need to keep plugging away. We have a good sized retirement fund but I'm not sure I could ever dip into that for an RV.

I have read The Millionaire Next Door (one of my favorite books ever!) but was curious what niche Dynamx owners here may have found to acquire some wealth. Sounds like the "live frugally and invest, invest, invest" maxim holds true with most here.
Read Dave Ramsey. He has great advice.
mbbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 02:51 PM   #31

Makes you wonder what the guy that bought the Dynamax thinks when he sees a Prevost or Foretravel rolling down the road Mmmmm I should have saved alittle more

I think is all relative and this quote by Willie Stargell sum's it up....Success is not measured by money or fame but how you feel about your own goals and accomplishments and the time and effort you put into them.
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 04:12 PM   #32

I'm kinda curious as to the profession of the members here who can afford these beautiful rigs and maybe some advice as to how to follow in your steps?

I live in south Texas and think the same about horse people. I see them starting their weekends on Thursdays, driving down the road in a new or fairly new 1 ton 4 door dually, pulling an aluminum 3-4 horse trailer with living quarters. These living quarters and slide outs and awnings, bath, etc. Wish I had a 3 day work week.
ard58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 04:45 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
DINK ... need i say more?
Same here! 👍
Webefine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 04:57 PM   #34

It wasn't my profession that supported our rig. 35 years ago I bought a small 4 unit apartment building in Redondo Beach, CA. It had negative cash flow meaning what the rents didn't cover I did out of pocket. I did all maintenance, renting, court appearances, everything. Three years later I had tripled my equity and bought an 11 unit building in an adjoining town. The idea was inflation protection. increasing cash flow over time and building equity. There were some major glitches along the way, but we just had to figure out how to get around them. Basically our investments were income property. i.e. let the tenants pay the bills. Soon we were able to hire a management company to do ALL the work. Today we do nothing! Except for maybe enjoy a 2018 DX3 37TS. It does not occur overnight!! Bottom line JUST DO IT!
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 05:14 PM   #35

Who said we could afford them......lol

2018 Isata 5 DS
sseaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 05:29 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rskeans View Post
It wasn't my profession that supported our rig. 35 years ago I bought a small 4 unit apartment building in Redondo Beach, CA. It had negative cash flow meaning what the rents didn't cover I did out of pocket. I did all maintenance, renting, court appearances, everything. Three years later I had tripled my equity and bought an 11 unit building in an adjoining town. The idea was inflation protection. increasing cash flow over time and building equity. There were some major glitches along the way, but we just had to figure out how to get around them. Basically our investments were income property. i.e. let the tenants pay the bills. Soon we were able to hire a management company to do ALL the work. Today we do nothing! Except for maybe enjoy a 2018 DX3 37TS. It does not occur overnight!! Bottom line JUST DO IT!
Great story. I retire in 2 years and started, like a lot of people, flat broke. I saved my money and built my first house at age 25. Sold it and built another. My father and I built houses and ran another business doing concrete. Real estate is a great investment after you max out the 401k match. Always saved money and didn't spend foolishly. It has paid off, I figure my retirement income will be about $4000 a month with everything paid for.

It's all about priorities. I see the younger guys I work with that don't own a home driving $40,000 cars. One good tip I got from someone is look for something you can do to generate another income. The guy that suggested that built lamps out of wine bottles and sold them online. In a few years he made enough to buy a new car.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 06:10 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rskeans View Post
Exactly.... Some people look at real estate investments and want them to make money right off the bat. If they are breaking even and even if you have to kick them a little, you are building equity. Done it many times.

Also to the OP. Flip a fixer upper but get help from someone who can o.k. the first purchase price. Flip it and dont spend the profit. Put it back in the next one. It takes time but it works.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:28 PM   #38

Prevost are way cool but you pay the price parking & manuriving. I'm sure they are beautiful but there are limits on campgrounds & you pay$$ to own one. I'm just a dumb mechanic that fixes BMW, Mercedes, Saab, Mini, Euro cars etc cars so people can drive to work. I make money so I can drive to our next destinations. Work hard, save big has been my ma to.

David & Mary Button - Ithaca NY
2011 Dynaquest XL 36' Freightliner
Cummins ISC 330HP/1000TQ
dbutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:46 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
DINK ... need i say more?

DINKs here also, plus retirement planning within 10-12 yrs and live within our means.
Sunset beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:06 PM   #40

2 grown kids and 3 grandkids. I think we actually spend more on the grandkids than we ever did our kids..

Tags
ford