Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2018, 10:25 PM   #41

I’m 40, wife is 36. We’re semi retired. Both own our own business, she has a cooperate foster care company, I own a small chain of vehicle enhancement facilities, patented a product I’m currently getting royalties from, just started importing and branding LED lights, currently expanding into E-commerce, and we own several income properties.

Work like a dog until you can pay someone else to do it then work on your business not in it.

I think sales is one of the fastest and easiest way to make money without having to get a degree.

You could buy a used one, write off the interest, and rent it out when you’re not using it. You might even turn a profit and get a free RV?
ablarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:12 AM   #42

advice

Buying one is one thing.affording to maintain it is the other.....big expense....
Old 05-16-2018, 08:22 AM   #43

Depends who’s doing the maintenance I guess
Old 05-16-2018, 08:47 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyinfla View Post
Buying one is one thing.affording to maintain it is the other.....big expense....
I guess I agree with Fourwhl. If you pay someone to maintain it for you, then yes it would be expensive.

I do almost all the work myself, no more expensive than my truck to maintain, but the oil and filters cost more. I pay $60 for my oil change in my truck, about $160 for the oil, fuel filters etc... for my Dynamax.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:53 AM   #45

It does make you wonder when you see campgrounds full of very expensive units. Our motorhome isn't a dynamax but the MSRP was still 92,500.00. No one pays MSRP.. we did much better than that by purchasing a dealer demo unit that had been rented (6500 miles). This allowed us to get the cost down to something we could finance on a 10 year note with our credit union. I don't like to be over-leveraged, if you can't pay something off in 10 years you shouldn't buy it IMHO. We are paying our home off in 2021 so after that we can retire the RV loan early by making triple payments, still several years out until the kids hit college. In short, it is all planning and some good luck.
retireearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:22 AM   #46

I'm a nurse, hubby was in construction management (he's retired, I'm retiring in Jan of next year). We are just typical working stiffs that always lived within our means and saved the max in retirement and other accounts. This is our 3rd RV so its not that we haven't had tons of fun along the way, took awesome vacations (just got back from surfing in Costa Rica), and didn't really deny ourselves much, but again, always within our means.

We actually have enough to pay cash (which I wanted to do) but our financial advisor and my hubby both said no as it would have really eaten into our savings and screwed up the plan we made for managing our cash for the first couple years of our retirement. Our house is paid for and no other debt and the payment is very manageable so I agreed. So as others have said, its about living within your means and keeping an eye on your goals.
Windsurf-mobile for us
LandKKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:44 AM   #47
Georgia Rally Coordinator

When I finally graduated from High school I'll always remembered one thing my dad said. Get a job that has a good retirement and good pay. So I did. I looked at all the folks around me over the years and saw new cars and homes and expensive furniture. I had boats campers and a home. Folks thought I had money, nope just live in means. yes its about living within your means and keeping an eye on your goals.

I've had MH 5ers and now a tt and yep could have bought Dynamax but that is no longer a desirable option. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:52 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
I used to do something like that, every year we got a raise it went into a raise in my 401 so with that and a pension ( remember what they are because we don't see many anymore ) and other investments we have what we do, not a Dynamax but that would be my motorhome choice but a large 5th wheel and full size tractor pulling it.
you get raises? LOL

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:55 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyinfla View Post
There is not much sense in buying anything if you cannot afford to run it and maintain it.
Las Vegas, NV
johnmbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:37 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
you get raises? LOL
I did when I worked, guess we had a good contract.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 12:07 PM   #51
Boondocking Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by shultz01 View Post
Real nice. Did someone go potty in your Wheaties this morning? Seriously, if you don't have anything positive and productive to say then I, for one, would rather you please say nothing. We don't need negative comments trashing those of us that chose to purchase a top quality motorhome because we can afford it. Kindly learn how to spell and go spread your ill will somewhere else. Thanks.
Go put your big boy pants on. Poopy baby! Lol
2010 F250 Lariat 6.8 V-10 w/Timbren SES
Custom Tunes by 5 Star Tuning
Boondocking Only
ddbck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 03:50 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs4029 View Post
Makes you wonder what the guy that bought the Dynamax thinks when he sees a Prevost or Foretravel rolling down the road Mmmmm I should have saved alittle more

I think is all relative and this quote by Willie Stargell sum's it up....Success is not measured by money or fame but how you feel about your own goals and accomplishments and the time and effort you put into them.
Had an interesting experience with that this summer. Stayed at a certain campground in Breckinridge and was told no you can’t park your Dynamax on the premium sites because it doesn’t meet the requirement of “Class A over 35 feet”. We joked that we got put on skid row but after getting there and seeing more prevost lined up than I’ve ever seen it all made sense.

Was the only camping experience where visitors had more questions about my Jeep than RV! Bunch of genuinely awesome people though. Highly recommend a stop if you’re in the area.
FOURWHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 03:59 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
Had an interesting experience with that this summer. Stayed at a certain campground in Breckinridge and was told no you can’t park your Dynamax on the premium sites because it doesn’t meet the requirement of “Class A over 35 feet”. We joked that we got put on skid row but after getting there and seeing more prevost lined up than I’ve ever seen it all made sense.

Was the only camping experience where visitors had more questions about my Jeep than RV! Bunch of genuinely awesome people though. Highly recommend a stop if you’re in the area.
We've had similar experiences. There is a private coach RV park in Vegas that won't take Class 'C', a lot of the high end coaches are in there. We've been in when we had the bus, very nice place. And a DX 3 is as nice as many of the Class A's in the park. Maybe if they made the rule on price of the vehicle? Then even an I 5 could camp there?
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 04:27 PM   #54

Hahah all the same conversations were had between the wife and I. At the end of the day it’s the HOAs perogative I guess. After seeing what all the site owners are rolling in I understand now.

What was really interesting was we stayed in feb during ski season and it’s a completely different atmosphere. No restrictions and a completely different crowd.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:58 PM   #55

Quote:
DINK ... need i say more?
Yep, same here.

We're both just 40, both work for my business 6 months/year and retire the other 6 to the FL Keys and North FL the other 6, then repeat. I use our Force HD on some jobs and then for our cross-country journeys and up and down FL. Drilling and blasting is the game I chose, started it up 10 years ago and never looked back. Not a single regret.
Keys-Tahoe TNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:03 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Was it the RV or Divorce that was on the 30 year Bucket List? Youroo!!
Both!(well maybe 16 yrs. for the divorce when kids were finally grown.)
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:18 PM   #57

Quote:
DINK ... need i say more?
All right I'll bite. What does DINK stand for??
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:27 PM   #58

Dual income no kids.
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 05-16-2018, 06:30 PM   #59

Or DRINK. DUAL Retired Income No Kids. Like me and Stella, we’re DRINKS.
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 05-16-2018, 07:19 PM   #60

I got a long way to go to get that R yet

Tags
ford