Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2018, 08:26 AM   #41
Commercial Member

PS. When we inspected, in the notes it says we could not get them to leak. Is there a specific set of circumstances where you are seeing this happen? as in, is it "re-creatable" or does it seem to be random?

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 11:08 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
PS. When we inspected, in the notes it says we could not get them to leak. Is there a specific set of circumstances where you are seeing this happen? as in, is it "re-creatable" or does it seem to be random?

Which inspection? I sent a video and pics from our last trip in August. Dealer was the last to look at it when it was there in May.

It typically leaks after running for about 3-4 hours, sometimes it drips, sometimes it pours out. The level of the coach impacts it, if it is level it drips, sometimes pours out, if I pitch it with the back of the coach lower it's not too bad.

I have tried to pay attention to humidity, it has occurred on all sorts of days. Last one it was 77 degrees. We also get the typical condensation on a humid day, especially if the door is opened a lot. That's not a problem and fully understand that.
vrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 11:08 AM   #43

What units are being installed in the '19 DX3?
mikew968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 01:51 PM   #44
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew968 View Post
What units are being installed in the '19 DX3?
Coleman-Mach. I think its the Coleman Mach 10...they also call it the low profile?

They have an ultra low profile, but it really doesn't serve much purpose because even with the 10, the Roof Sat becomes the highest point now.

Old 08-31-2018, 08:22 PM   #45

Quote:
So its going to be a bit of a crap shoot...only set the t-stat a few points above current. If it warms up in 20 minutes, you can likely take that higher then. If the gap is too large, 20 minutes may not be enough. So if its 51, I would take that no higher than 60 to start...see if that works.

On the bright side...unlike a heat pump, if the air temp is 40, you can still use the heat strip, just not more than 50 to start.
OK I got a good test in this morning. It was a chilly 65 (well I’m from California and 65 is chilly) and I set both thermostats to 70, both came on, only electric (quiet) ducted heat. No gas furnace and within 15 mins the chill was off and I could incrementally raise the temperature as desired.
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 10:34 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseymyers View Post
OK I got a good test in this morning. It was a chilly 65 (well I’m from California and 65 is chilly) and I set both thermostats to 70, both came on, only electric (quiet) ducted heat. No gas furnace and within 15 mins the chill was off and I could incrementally raise the temperature as desired.

Excellent! Thanks for reporting back on the positive test!
Old 09-03-2018, 08:39 PM   #47

Quote:
We are from the SW, we've recorded 122 on our porch so we know heat but it's been so cold in the mornings back here in the midwest and in Ontario, we've needed some heat in the morning. One morning it was only 51 and that was like freezing...

Thanks for the smile. We live in northeastern Ontario and this has been the hottest and until recently dryest summer ever. We're melting in this heat and humidity. Headed out later this week in our Lexington for our annual fall Ontario tour and hoping for some crisp cool temperatures. Enjoy your trip and drive safely.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:29 AM   #48

Easy Solution

It’s correct that the heat strip doesn’t heat hardly at all. The gas heat sucks ur propane. So we opted to use a small ceramic space heater. Those little guys will heat our trailer up fast & we end up turning it down because it gets too hot.
jdshess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 12:24 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdshess View Post
It’s correct that the heat strip doesn’t heat hardly at all. The gas heat sucks ur propane. So we opted to use a small ceramic space heater. Those little guys will heat our trailer up fast & we end up turning it down because it gets too hot.
We do the same. Splurged for the dyson one this past winter as we can use it for a fan in the summer also. Been really happy with its performance
Old 09-05-2018, 03:51 PM   #50

Isata 5 DS

I keep trying the AC Heaters- they seem to work for a few minutes and then not come back on- I was looking at the power panel to see actual current on both lines. It jumps to about 14 amps when ceiling heater comes on, then drops to 3 or 4 amps for the fans. It produces warm air; but that amount of power will heat the RV with small heaters- I bought several of the 350 watt ones that can hang off the wall outlet- so convient? A combination of 4 or 5 works down to 40 degrees and lower then that I start using the furnace too- it was in low 30's last weekend, 4500' in Mtn valley.

I'll try to test them again, this weekend- early evening- while it's still warmish outside.
Wrangler4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 07:22 AM   #51

My bedroom unit will run a lot longer than the front unit. But when it goes off just kick it up a couple degrees and it should come back on.
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 09-06-2018, 06:38 PM   #52

electric heaters

Thanks,
have not heard of such heaters. more info pls, brand models. very interesting
thank you
Dick Skeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:50 AM   #53

Quote:
We tested ours at the house last week before leaving for a week of camping and it worked as intended.

At the house we are plugged into a regular 110 outlet just to keep the batteries topped up. FYI, Just 1 of those electric heaters will trip a regular ole' household 20 amp circuit breaker.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:09 PM   #54

Electric Heat

I have tried this several times on different trips and I only get about 5 minutes of heat. I tried it multiple times Saturday. Select temp, set to Elec Heat, wait for it to turn on, it started heating (14 Amps), then after 5 minutes it stops heating- then its 2 or 3 amps for fans only. On previous trip I left it running for a couple hours- I never saw it switch back to heating cycle.

Is there anything else that might control the heating cycle time out- I remember looking at his option for my last camper. For the kits there was a rotary control switch- do we have any other switches in the AC for the heaters? I looked and see the heater; but without dissecting it I don't really know what is up there. Thanks.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:30 AM   #55
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler4X4 View Post
I have tried this several times on different trips and I only get about 5 minutes of heat. I tried it multiple times Saturday. Select temp, set to Elec Heat, wait for it to turn on, it started heating (14 Amps), then after 5 minutes it stops heating- then its 2 or 3 amps for fans only. On previous trip I left it running for a couple hours- I never saw it switch back to heating cycle.

Is there anything else that might control the heating cycle time out- I remember looking at his option for my last camper. For the kits there was a rotary control switch- do we have any other switches in the AC for the heaters? I looked and see the heater; but without dissecting it I don't really know what is up there. Thanks.
Which AC do you have? The Atwood or the Coleman/Suburban?

Old 09-11-2018, 09:02 AM   #56

Electric eat

I have a Isata 5 DS- same was Casey Meyers.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:11 AM   #57
Commercial Member

Yes, but we have used both AC's on the Isata 5. We were running the Atwood and then changed to the Coleman/Airxcel/Suburban (not sure which name is on the T-stat), so the instructions are different between the two. One is a heat pump and one is a heat strip. Also different T-stats and settings.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:16 AM   #58

Quote:
Yes, but we have used both AC's on the Isata 5. We were running the Atwood and then changed to the Coleman/Airxcel/Suburban (not sure which name is on the T-stat), so the instructions are different between the two. One is a heat pump and one is a heat strip. Also different T-stats and settings.
My 2019 I5 has the AIRXCEL (sic) TSTAT.
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 09-11-2018, 09:18 AM   #59

I have an electric coil up there for the electric heat, I would guess this is a 'heat strip' model? And they work very well at taking the chill off in the morning. If you set the differential temp too high on the TSTAT the Gas Furnace will come on.
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 09-11-2018, 01:52 PM   #60

Electric heat

Brian, I checked and have the Coleman Mach, with heaters in it, and an Airxcel thermostat. I can see heaters and I know it does work for 5 minutes. The heater kits for Coleman Mach AC, that I have seen also include a rotary switch to adjust the heat and turn off- you need to drill hole through the cover for the knob.

Since mine shuts off after 5 minutes- every time and I've never seen it come back on.

Tags
electric