Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2022, 10:23 AM   #1

How to remove '21 DX3 wheel and lug caps?

Please help, I need to add oil to the front hubs but I'm not sure how to get the full wheel and lug nut cover off. I removed the small center 5" cover and found the wheel hubs are low on oil but I can't get at the oil filler without removing the full cover.

I know this has been asked before but the previous link on the forum does not work. I also cannot find it in the manuals.

Thanks,
Bob
Rehirsch8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 06:31 AM   #2
2022 Dynamax Europa 31SS

After removing the 5" center cap on the wheel as you have already done, you can add fluid by removing the rubber vent plug in the center of the hub cap to the indicated full line. Check your manual and be sure to use the correct fluid. My manual indicates a 75W-90 synthetic drive axle lube meeting spec J2360 or military spec MIL-L-2105E. Read the label of whatever you use--not all 75W-90 meets this required spec.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-07-03 at 4.22.04 AM.png
Views:	47
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	275869  
M_I_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 11:25 AM   #3

The full cover has 2 of the "lug nuts" that are larger than the others. These are have internal nuts that screw onto two of the wheel lugs. Unscrew the two and the cover comes off.
Old 07-03-2022, 11:31 AM   #4

Might have changed in '21, but, or maybe it's something different between DX3 and XL. Our '21 XL needs a large spanner wrench, Freightliner sells a plastic one on amazon, to remove the center nut and the hub cover then comes off. All 10 of the lugs have a false chrome cover over them as well to remove wheels.

Jim
CyberShanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 10:45 AM   #5

I had a hard time getting those two special lug nuts off the covers of my 2021 force. First, contrary to what I read there were no dimples or other distinguishing indicators on the two special ones. The, the special wrench that came with my M2 had a piece of steel rod inside the shaft the prevented it from slipping all the way on the chrome nut so it spun instead of.taking the nut off. So, I resorted to very carefully using channel locks, and finally got them off, which then releases the entire wheel cover. It took me several hours. Wasn't a happy camper. Hope this helps.

2021 Force 37TS (Detroit DD8)
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
2020 Isata-5 36DS (traded in)
Invisibleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 10:53 AM   #6

I had a hard time getting those two special lug covers off my 2021 force. First, contrary to what I read there were no dimples or other distinguishing indicators on the two special ones. The special wrench that came with my M2 had a piece of steel rod inside the shaft the prevented it from slipping all the way on the chrome nut so it spun instead of.taking the nut off. So, I resorted to very carefully using channel locks, and finally got them off, which then releases the entire wheel cover. It took me several hours. Wasn't a happy camper. Hope this helps.

2021 Force 37TS (Detroit DD8)
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
2020 Isata-5 36DS (traded in)
Invisibleman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dx3, wheel