Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2022, 10:55 PM   #1

How to replace porch light?

I ordered the replacement part from Dynamax but I’m told it doesn’t come with install instructions. Anyone know how it comes off and installs? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6784.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	281385 I have a ‘19 RW but the porch light looks the same on most Dynamax RVs. It still works using the on/off switch at the entry steps but the area that I assume was the motion sensor is all rusted out.
acoxFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 01:20 PM   #2
Commercial Member

I don't recall that we ever offered a porch light with a motion sensor. The porch lights are operated off of the on/off switch at the entry. To verify, I showed this photo to our lead service tech - Greg - and he, too, could not recall a time where we ran a porch light with a motion sensor.

So that leads to the question of what that rusting center circle could be. Maybe an aftermarket porch light or rather a screw that was added by a previous owner (Greg couldn't remember a time where we as the OEM ever has a center screw on those porch lights).

If the current light is working off the entry switch, then not sure I'd replace (since the replacement will have the same functionality).

If you decide to replace with the light you ordered, then you'll cut the seal around the current light (and likely remove that later-added center screw - if proven to be a screw upon further inspection). Then you'll pull out the black surround and find screws to fully dismount the light. Once you wire in the new replacement light you'll see that it screws into the wall behind the black surround and you'll pop on the faceplate and re-seal around it.
Please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
JGraber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 01:28 PM   #3

Interesting, as I am the original owner and haven't touched the porch light. For now I just put electrical tape over the rusted hole as I suspected it could be the source of a small water intrusion. I will mull over how to proceed, I'm inclined to leave it as is for now given this additional info. I also question whether or not it is actually a screw in the middle, to me it looks more like the corroded element of a motion sensor.
And there is (or was) a model of that light with a motion sensor so I'm pretty sure that's what it is. See here: https://www.jupiterledlighting.com/led-porch-lights
Old 11-09-2022, 01:43 PM   #4

I wonder if the dealer replaced the porch light before you picked up the unit.
Old 11-09-2022, 01:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRedburn View Post
I wonder if the dealer replaced the porch light before you picked up the unit.
That is very possible.
Old 11-09-2022, 07:40 PM   #6

Are you sure it isn't a screw access hole that you remove a screw to remove light sometimes it has a small plug that you remove then there is a screw in there to remove light from chassis.
doanshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 08:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by doanshop View Post
Are you sure it isn't a screw access hole that you remove a screw to remove light sometimes it has a small plug that you remove then there is a screw in there to remove light from chassis.
I can’t tell for sure, it’s very corroded.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F00933E3-9761-43C6-B196-8E05FF5827E6.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	248.4 KB
ID:	281431  
Old 11-09-2022, 08:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoxFL View Post
It might be a square head screw that is common on RV's. You can take a pick and clean out square and see if it is a screw. Looking at picture that what it looks like to me but I 'm not there to get a good look at it. It's not a true square but still looks like a screw. If you find out for sure let us know.

https://www.amazon.com/HORUSDY-4-Pie...s%2C133&sr=8-5
Old 11-10-2022, 08:19 AM   #9

Quote:
I can see where it might be a sensor. Even looks like some of the plastic bubble around the edges.
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2022, 06:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimboadm View Post
I can see where it might be a sensor. Even looks like some of the plastic bubble around the edges.
Will the clear lens for lights pop off. I see two dark areas on the bottom of lens two bulbs in from each end that could be ears and it pop out from the top. Giving you access to bulbs and screws to remove light. You might check it out?
But I agree it does look like the Sensor you posted with the top cover missing. Those dark areas could be pry points also to remove lens.
Old 11-11-2022, 12:00 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Quote:
That is 100% a robertson head screw.

Edit: 10%. Plus it looks like there might have been a plastic dome covering it at one time.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 12:15 PM   #12

Don't think I've ever seen a rectangular shaped robertson head screwdriver.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 12:17 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Looked more square to me...but then again.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 12:44 PM   #14

I agree with bubbles. rectangular not square

measured image proportions it is rectangular
Old 11-11-2022, 01:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Don't think I've ever seen a rectangular shaped robertson head screwdriver.
Robertson head screwdrivers do have rectangular heads. All squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares
Old 11-11-2022, 01:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
That is 100% a robertson head screw.

Edit: 10%. Plus it looks like there might have been a plastic dome covering it at one time.
^^x2. looks to me like a cap snapped in and the hazy ring around the O.D. is where the cap sat on the housing and a non stainless screw was used. My $.02
Trialrun85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 03:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
Robertson head screwdrivers do have rectangular heads. All squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares
OK
Rectangle: a plane figure with four straight sides and four right angles, especially one with unequal adjacent sides, in contrast to a square.

Be sure and ask for a rectangle drive.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 05:57 PM   #18

Well, I took it to a local RV dealer and they confirmed the corroded object is a sensor and it is a 3 wire connection. They tried replacing it with the 2 wire light that I received from Dynamax, but it didn't work, so they put the original one back on. Oh well.
Old 12-10-2022, 12:21 PM   #19

Quote:
Well, I took it to a local RV dealer and they confirmed the corroded object is a sensor and it is a 3 wire connection. They tried replacing it with the 2 wire light that I received from Dynamax, but it didn't work, so they put the original one back on. Oh well.
Did the dealer verify the switch was sending 12v to the light?
i. e . I had an issue with the porch light and it was fixed by replacing the switch.
My light was dim and dealer thought it was the light. Wrong!
I found that the switch was not making good contact with the mechanism inside. Went to local hardware store and purchased same switch for a few bucks and haven't had any issues since.
Many dealer "repair" shops are parts replacers and do not investigate root cause of an issue. Then throw their arms up when the part replacement doesn't fix it.

You might try bypassing the sensor/measure the voltage to the light. The light should work. If not then I would investigate the switch.
Old 12-10-2022, 06:32 PM   #20

The switch and wiring work fine with the original light, which is back in place. The mystery at this point is how a 3 wire porch light with sensor was installed, although that is moot at this point; and how to replace it with the one I bought from Dynamax whenever I give that another try, most likely back where I bought it new 4 years ago at North Trail RV. I'm sure they can figure it out.

Tags
light