Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2018, 02:20 PM   #1

I still see daylight, is this OK?

So, we got our Isata 5 30fw back from the dealer after our "fixit" appointment. (More on the experience in another thread). Our main concern was the slide function. So, after many emails and communications back and forth, the slide now functions as designed. However, there is a "hole" where I can see daylight at the bottom of the slide near the bed when the slide is open (see photos, The photos loaded sideways, left is top. You can see the outlet that sits on the bed pedestal.) From the outside, it simply looks like the piece of seal is not long enough to cover that area. The tech said that the factory says that because of the type of seals (something about bulb seal vs some other kind of seal, dang, I can't remember) that is way it is supposed to be. That when we are driving it is completely closed and sealed and no water will be able to get in, but when open, because it goes down hill, no water will get in, even when it rains. OK, I suppose I understand, but what about when its cold? That spot is open to the elements and will defeat any heat or insulation, won't it? Can someone explain this to me?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180620_113058[1].jpg
Views:	300
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	176659   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180620_113051[1].jpg
Views:	286
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	176660   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180620_121825[1].jpg
Views:	299
Size:	223.0 KB
ID:	176662  
Windsurf-mobile for us
LandKKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 02:29 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

While it 'may' not leak, I sure wouldn't want that.
Bugs, critters, cold, heat or any number of things could get through that hole.

What does the seal look like on the opposite side of the slide?
Is it too short too?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 02:35 PM   #3

So the tech thinks that not letting in rain is good when driving but OK when standing still and having the slide out.
Really!!! You are supposed to have a gaping hole to the outside. You have been had, I think. Seals are to seal out stuff like water, wind, dirt, critters and light. And keep in stuff like cool or warm air, depending on the season. The type of seal, bulb or wiper, or whatever is immaterial. The name says it all: Seal.
Second opinion time..
Old 06-20-2018, 02:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
While it 'may' not leak, I sure wouldn't want that.
Bugs, critters, cold, heat or any number of things could get through that hole.

What does the seal look like on the opposite side of the slide?
Is it too short too?
exactly! the last pic is of the outside (it loaded sideways, left is up), it simply looks like the seal is short but the factory is saying its the way its supposed to be. Makes no sense.
Windsurf-mobile for us
Old 06-20-2018, 02:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hook47 View Post
So the tech thinks that not letting in rain is good when driving but OK when standing still and having the slide out.
Really!!! You are supposed to have a gaping hole to the outside. You have been had, I think. Seals are to seal out stuff like water, wind, dirt, critters and light. And keep in stuff like cool or warm air, depending on the season. The type of seal, bulb or wiper, or whatever is immaterial. The name says it all: Seal.
Second opinion time..
Word. Brian? Any thoughts? The tech at DDRV says your guys say this is how its supposed to be. Doesn't seem right to me.
Windsurf-mobile for us
Old 06-20-2018, 02:48 PM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKKnight View Post
exactly! the last pic is of the outside (it loaded sideways, left is up), it simply looks like the seal is short but the factory is saying its the way its supposed to be. Makes no sense.
I'll ask again... what does the seal on the other side of the slide look like?

Old 06-20-2018, 02:49 PM   #7

Seal is definitely too short though I am no expert. It appears to me that in order to fix it, they have to replace the entire seal which means they probably have to take out the slide out and the dealer doesn't want to do that much work to replace a seal so they are trying to get you to just go away. "Yeah, it's supposed to be like that."
joeuncool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 02:57 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Quote:
I don't think you have to ask...it's actually in the 3rd picture.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 02:58 PM   #9

Or, their all like that. Have you looked at another rig, like model to see how it is?
Old 06-20-2018, 03:04 PM   #10

[QUOTE=5picker;1846458]I'll ask again... what does the seal on the other side of the slide look like?

Oh, sorry, I thought by other side you meant the outside. I guess you mean on the other end of the slide. I'll try to explain this so it is understandable. The slide actually has 3 places outside where it seals. The two actual physical ends of the slide room and then an indentation where the bed sits, this is where the seal doesn't meet the bottom and there is light showing. The seals on the 2 ends meet the bottom. In the 1st pic you can see the L shape of the slide at that point where the light comes in. The others are the actually physical ends of the slide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180620_125323[1].jpg
Views:	212
Size:	237.6 KB
ID:	176673   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180620_125329[1].jpg
Views:	243
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	176674   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180620_125338[1].jpg
Views:	199
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	176675   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180620_125348[1].jpg
Views:	202
Size:	194.0 KB
ID:	176676  
Windsurf-mobile for us
Old 06-20-2018, 03:07 PM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I don't think you have to ask...it's actually in the 3rd picture.
The 3rd picture is the same seal, same side, simply from the outside of the rig's perspective and not from the inside.

I'm asking about the seal on the other end of the slide.

Old 06-20-2018, 03:08 PM   #12
Commercial Member

it's supposed to be like that "with an asterisk".

I just spent a week in the exact same coach, zero issues, same gap.

It will not leak on the outside either. What others don't see in the pictures is this is a "step up" middle of a slide out. So water would have to figure out how to bend 90 degrees for 36" to get in there.

having said that...none of us really like openings and the reason it is that way, is that from the supplier they add a "drip pan" to all slide corners. The drip pan catches any water that gets on the seal, or on the track and behind the seal. As it drips down, the water is directed to the outside. In this case, they run the seal, all the way down to the top of the drip pan that sits about 1" high on the sides. (I need a sketch here). So while "it is supposed to be that way" according to the supplier, I think it can be better, by sort of notching the slide seal so that it extends down to the bottom ledge of the drip pan and does not stop at the side. Also, a slide seal/flap could be GLUED on the bottom of the existing seal to close that gap. You would not need to take the room out and replace the whole seal. Now, I would only do this on this particular area, because it is again...middle of a slide, sheltered from the overhang of the slide and were just trying to keep bugs out. Although, with the porch or awning light on, from experience...you will not stop them anyway.

Old 06-20-2018, 03:11 PM   #13
Pickin', Campin', Mason

[QUOTE=LandKKnight;1846488]
Quote:

Oh, sorry, I thought by other side you meant the outside. I guess you mean on the other end of the slide. I'll try to explain this so it is understandable. The slide actually has 3 places outside where it seals. The two actual physical ends of the slide room and then an indentation where the bed sits, this is where the seal doesn't meet the bottom and there is light showing. The seals on the 2 ends meet the bottom. In the 1st pic you can see the L shape of the slide at that point where the light comes in. The others are the actually physical ends of the slide.
OK that makes sense but none the less... why would the vertical seal in the indentation not come to the bottom as it does on both ends. Same concept.

Old 06-20-2018, 03:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeuncool View Post
Seal is definitely too short though I am no expert. It appears to me that in order to fix it, they have to replace the entire seal which means they probably have to take out the slide out and the dealer doesn't want to do that much work to replace a seal so they are trying to get you to just go away. "Yeah, it's supposed to be like that."
Seems like it would be a warranty fix so they'd get reimbursed. We are leaving in 10 days on a month long trip so we'd have taken it home now, anyway. We are still waiting on parts on two other issues (non essential) for which we will bring it back in August. I just want to know, is it truly supposed to be like this? Or is this something that should be fixed?
Windsurf-mobile for us
Old 06-20-2018, 03:14 PM   #15
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:

It will not leak on the outside either. What others don't see in the pictures is this is a "step up" middle of a slide out. So water would have to figure out how to bend 90 degrees for 36" to get in there.

having said that...none of us really like openings and the reason it is that way, is that from the supplier they add a "drip pan" to all slide corners. The drip pan catches any water that gets on the seal, or on the track and behind the seal. As it drips down, the water is directed to the outside. In this case, they run the seal, all the way down to the top of the drip pan that sits about 1" high on the sides. (I need a sketch here). So while "it is supposed to be that way" according to the supplier, I think it can be better, by sort of notching the slide seal so that it extends down to the bottom ledge of the drip pan and does not stop at the side. Also, a slide seal/flap could be GLUED on the bottom of the existing seal to close that gap. You would not need to take the room out and replace the whole seal. Now, I would only do this on this particular area, because it is again...middle of a slide, sheltered from the overhang of the slide and were just trying to keep bugs out. Although, with the porch or awning light on, from experience...you will not stop them anyway.
Sounds like a couple of reasonable fixes.
Thanks for the clarification.

Old 06-20-2018, 03:26 PM   #16
Commercial Member

[QUOTE=5picker;1846495]
Quote:

OK that makes sense but none the less... why would the vertical seal in the indentation not come to the bottom as it does on both ends. Same concept.
I asked the same question. And thus my asterisk. Yes, I think they should be able to glue on (we clean others with alcohol and superglue the corners so I know it works) an extension flap to close the gap. (hey, I rhymed).

Old 06-20-2018, 03:27 PM   #17

Quote:

Ok, thanks for the answer. So we can stick something there to cover the gap and it won't interfere with the function of the slide? Lacking seal material, DH was thinking stick a piece of foam in there. Which I guess we can place and remove whenever we move the slide in and out, then don't have to worry about slide function, but it'll keep critters, light and heat/cold out.
Windsurf-mobile for us
Old 06-20-2018, 03:29 PM   #18

[QUOTE=bclemens;1846514]
Quote:

I asked the same question. And thus my asterisk. Yes, I think they should be able to glue on (we clean others with alcohol and superglue the corners so I know it works) an extension flap to close the gap. (hey, I rhymed).
Where can I get a piece of seal for an extension flap?
Windsurf-mobile for us
Old 06-20-2018, 03:30 PM   #19
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:

I'll concur... it does work.
And I'll say again, sounds like a reasonable fix.

Old 06-20-2018, 03:31 PM   #20
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Ok, thanks for the answer. So we can stick something there to cover the gap and it won't interfere with the function of the slide? Lacking seal material, DH was thinking stick a piece of foam in there. Which I guess we can place and remove whenever we move the slide in and out, then don't have to worry about slide function, but it'll keep critters, light and heat/cold out.
That would work fine in the interim... just remember to remove it before retracting the slide.

Tags
light