Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2022, 01:02 PM   #1

I5, 34DS Mattress Slide Issues

2021 I5, 34DS. For those that don't know, on a 34DS the bed stays flat it does not fold.

My bed slide is starting to make clicking noises and pops when opening and closing. I'm worried I'm about to have issues. I've re-adjusted the motors to be sure the wall is coming in straight and stopping in the correct locations.

I'm questioning the size (length) of the mattress (see photos). When the slide is in, it pushes hard against the dresser to the point of bunching up the end of the mattress (this is without sheets or a comforter on the bed). This just doesn't seem right to stress the motors that way. If I adjust the motors so it closes with the mattress just touching the dresser, there is a fairly large gap (3") outside where the weather seal does not come close to touching.

Last observation, the mattress is up against the headboard (not the wall). The mattress is thick enough it does not fit under the headboard. If the headboard was not there (mattress against wall) the mattress would not bunch up as much with the slide-in.

Other 34DS owners or Brian, any thoughts? See photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mattress.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	279808   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gear Rail.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	279809   Click image for larger version

Name:	Headboard gap.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	279810   Click image for larger version

Name:	Weather Seal.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	279811  
Old 09-29-2022, 09:23 AM   #2

I'm no expert, but that appears to be the wrong size mattress... unless it's flattened out over time. If it were me, I'd probably either find a smaller mattress or have one made to fit that space. Slides repairs cost more than a new mattress.
Old 09-29-2022, 05:17 PM   #3
Commercial Member

That mattress is foam and fabric...compressing it 3" is not going to do anything to the slide motors. They are rated for far more weight.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 09:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
That mattress is foam and fabric...compressing it 3" is not going to do anything to the slide motors. They are rated for far more weight.
OK, thanks Brian. I'm guessing with the clicking and noise the slide is making, I'm looking at a future slide problem/break. I can't find why it is doing this and the markings on the rail do not look good.
Old 10-04-2022, 10:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvnthedream View Post
OK, thanks Brian. I'm guessing with the clicking and noise the slide is making, I'm looking at a future slide problem/break. I can't find why it is doing this and the markings on the rail do not look good.
As I'm not a slide expert I would guess (SWAG) that the rack marks come from the slide motor gear moving your slide. I would check the slide alignment as it might be binding up towards the end.
msusslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 10:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by msusslin View Post
As I'm not a slide expert I would guess (SWAG) that the rack marks come from the slide motor gear moving your slide. I would check the slide alignment as it might be binding up towards the end.
Yes, I've played with the alignment several times to be sure it is lining up however, thanks for the suggestion. None of the other rails are showing signs of wear like this one is.
Old 10-04-2022, 10:53 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvnthedream View Post
That very well could be, but the mattress shouldn't have anything to do with that. Something might have been misaligned at one time or is currently...so it is slipping. Could need a new motor and/or rack on that side.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide