Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2021, 07:05 AM   #1
Norwood Auto Italia
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Montana & TX
Posts: 931
Informal poll about tire pressure sensor - Isata 5

I have asked on the I-5 FB page for some feedback from other owners who have had unreliable, non-working tire pressure sensor problems on their Gen 5/2019+ Isata 5 coaches.

There have been about a dozen responses; all seem to have a rear problem and a few have had both front and rear; most are intermittent readings meaning they appear for a while and then drop out. Some are awaiting replacement sensors (weeks) which seems strange because even my hopeless (never sees 5500 models) was able to get me a replacement in days and I found them on Amazon. Unless both are fakes which is possible, but the 2 are identical in form and packaging.

A few of us that have had our sensors changed without an improvement and from what I have learned, no one seems to have found that a sensor replacement solves the problem. After the installation, the only coding required per the OM is to drive for 20 minutes at +15 mph. I drove for 50 miles at +50 mph; and then for another 750 miles in 2 spells at +50 mph before the replacement sensor activated - for an hour before dropping out. I have since driven another 1500 miles in extended spells with the intermittent fault.

To the extent that any readers have had the same issue, I am interested in getting a sense of of how wide this problem really is before creating a definitive poll thread. I suspect that there are a set of faulty receivers out there; or when RAM spec'd the sensors for the rear tire they did not put a QC process in place so that the batch delivered between certain dates will have a varied episodic problem.

I have read about but cannot find a purported TSB that apparently addressed this issue by implying that the sensors can be "recoded" to restore their function. This makes no sense in my (and some others case) because we replaced our defective sensors without improving the situation.

Both my original and new defective units are on the same (D/S-Inner) wheel. The reading is usually there when cold/nominal pressure and starts to drop out after an hour of run time. It does come back periodically for differing amounts of time. Sometimes this happens when I slow for city traffic and other times when the atmosphere cools (as in rain) but in both circumstances it will drop out again.

I realize the trite answer is ditch the system but this involves the cost of acquiring a system and demounting all 6 tires to remove the potentially conflicting Mopar sensors. Very time consuming and not offered under warranty even if the dealers could do that service function which few in the Truck Capital of the World (Texas) are equipped or willing to attempt.

I propose to use the results of the poll to get a Regional Factory Service Rep's attention and escalate the issue.
__________________
2000 Sportsmobile E350 EB
2006 Renegade/Peterbilt K1854 and T1220
2021 Isata 5 28SS Explorer
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 09:45 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 33
I have the the TPMS issue with my I5. Most of the time, the issue is with the rear, driver side tires (both). I have had the issue arise with one of the passenger rear tires (believe it was the inner) and another instance with the front passenger tire, IIRC.

I am leaning toward a bad batch of sensors. My problems typically surface once the tires warm up and the pressure increases.

DK
__________________
2021 Dynamax Isata 5 30FW Xplorer
DK_Isata5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 09:46 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 107
We have the tpms problem. There are 2 really bad actors that have worked maybe a couple times since we picked the truck up, two that work half the time and 2 that work most of the time. The outer drivers dual and passenger front are the worst ones. The driver front and the passenger inner dual are the best. Kinda weird.
The dealership we went to tried the reprogramming but no luck with the bad actors so they ordered new sensors, came in 2 weeks. I was surprised at how quickly they came in. We will be installing them in 2 weeks so hopefully they work.
There was a tsb mentioned on the work order, don't have the paperwork available to me to get the actual info.
__________________
2021 Isata 5 28SS Explorer
2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Recon
2017 Ram 3500 DRW
Mike946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 03:36 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 244
We have the TPMS issue with 3 back tires only. At times its just 1 back tire but at times 3 of them show up and it seems that issue pops up once the tires are at the desired pressure, after driving for 30 minutes.
We never had the issue come up on the front tires.

Our local shop tried reprogramming 2 times to no avail.

Chrysler issued a Technical Service Bulletin # 22-002-20 Rev A on 12/19/2020, stating that all sensors need to be replaced and reprogrammed.
msusslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 07:18 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 13
I've had the same experience with the rear TMPS. Readings come and go, seemingly, at random. However, I've (mostly) convinced myself that the sensors drop offline more frequently on rough roads - at least there seems to be some correlation between shock and vibration and sensor warnings. If that's the case, then it may be an issue with a harness connection to the TPMS pickups.

One of these days I'll crawl under the chassis and take a look around.

Dan
dtyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 08:18 AM   #6
Norwood Auto Italia
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Montana & TX
Posts: 931
On the I-5 FB page, the suggestion has been made that the receiver module is mounted behind the driver seat and also contains the key fob receiver. The theory is that if this is moved up the wall, in theory as high as possible, it will improve tire sensor connectivity.

This makes some sense because of the mass of metallic structure that lies in a straight line from that module to the left rear and also somewhat to the right or P/S. I have yet to remove mine but i suspect that the harness is sized only to deliver the multiplugs to that position so will requires the splicing of multiple strands to create a enough slack to move the module. Even for a trial/test/

This info came from an IN RAM dealer who says he has done this with success. Has anyone looked at this module's interior?
__________________
2000 Sportsmobile E350 EB
2006 Renegade/Peterbilt K1854 and T1220
2021 Isata 5 28SS Explorer
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 08:41 AM   #7
Norwood Auto Italia
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Montana & TX
Posts: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by msusslin View Post

Chrysler issued a Technical Service Bulletin # 22-002-20 Rev A on 12/19/2020, stating that all sensors need to be replaced and reprogrammed.
Please can you tell me the source of this TSB reference. I cannot find it on the Mopar site. I think it apples to other Chrysler vehicles because the 5500 sensors do not need programming. You just drive at +15 mph for 20 minutes or in my case at +50 mph for 800 miles !
__________________
2000 Sportsmobile E350 EB
2006 Renegade/Peterbilt K1854 and T1220
2021 Isata 5 28SS Explorer
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 02:24 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Bob2019's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 416
If you want to put an end to this madness, ditch the Mopar and go with the TST TPMS 507 System. I have never not had it not work properly for the past 2 years, or drop readings from any of the tires.
__________________
2019 Forester 2861DS
Bob2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 06:29 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 5,014
If...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamgat View Post
On the I-5 FB page, the suggestion has been made that the receiver module is mounted behind the driver seat and also contains the key fob receiver. The theory is that if this is moved up the wall, in theory as high as possible, it will improve tire sensor connectivity.

This makes some sense because of the mass of metallic structure that lies in a straight line from that module to the left rear and also somewhat to the right or P/S. I have yet to remove mine but i suspect that the harness is sized only to deliver the multiplugs to that position so will requires the splicing of multiple strands to create a enough slack to move the module. Even for a trial/test/

This info came from an IN RAM dealer who says he has done this with success. Has anyone looked at this module's interior?
If you can get another set of the plugs (junkyard?) you could make an "extension cord" so as not to modify the factory wiring.
__________________
Larry

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 07:11 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 16
My experience too. 5000 miles in last 3 weeks.
denlinsen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 08:25 AM   #11
Norwood Auto Italia
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Montana & TX
Posts: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob2019 View Post
If you want to put an end to this madness, ditch the Mopar and go with the TST TPMS 507 System. I have never not had it not work properly for the past 2 years, or drop readings from any of the tires.
The madness seems to be over and the problem possibly resolved: we just need to move the Receiver module mounted accessibly behind the drivers seat as far upwards as the harness will permit. That is about 12" and in at least one test case on this site, the problem goes away.

Two issues with your suggestion: I have a TST 507 set up on my Toad and my 18 wheeler with problems on both. Eventually both resolved by replacing the sensors with new ones. Its impossible to claim a warranty because TS has any number of excuses as to why I was unable to get a reading from the sensor, including the one that had the receiver alongside. Repeaters used on both vehicles and correctly mounted.

The other issue is why pay twice unless the system does not work. In the RAM's case we know it does. Not everyone has reported the problem; its not an issue (with this format) on any of the RAM/Cummins HD/Dodge sites that I have visited and so its possible to conclude its exclusive to RV and thereby Dynamax (as the only 500 RV user) and so must be a function of the RV install. A dealer in IN figured this out and its from them that this fix has been derived.

Anyone else moved the module yet? Effect?
__________________
2000 Sportsmobile E350 EB
2006 Renegade/Peterbilt K1854 and T1220
2021 Isata 5 28SS Explorer
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 08:46 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamgat View Post
Please can you tell me the source of this TSB reference. I cannot find it on the Mopar site. I think it apples to other Chrysler vehicles because the 5500 sensors do not need programming. You just drive at +15 mph for 20 minutes or in my case at +50 mph for 800 miles !
Click image for larger version

Name:	TPMS service.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	372.2 KB
ID:	263704
msusslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 09:02 AM   #13
Norwood Auto Italia
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Montana & TX
Posts: 931
This seems to be addressing the system failure as evidenced by a warning light on the panel. See Pages 113 and 114 of the OM. In the event of a system failure, the TPMS light that flashes when one of the sensors drops out, will continue flashing and remain ON. It will also reinitiate the warning at every start. Neither of these events happen with a dropped sensor.

So I do not believe this fix will restore the functionality we lose when the sensors drop in and out of the system. The problem needs to be addressed as to why any one, or a few sensors specifically do this. And as a non believer in coincidences, why this almost is always a rear sensor. Moving the receiver seems to do that.
__________________
2000 Sportsmobile E350 EB
2006 Renegade/Peterbilt K1854 and T1220
2021 Isata 5 28SS Explorer
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 10:20 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 5,014
Programming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamgat View Post
Please can you tell me the source of this TSB reference. I cannot find it on the Mopar site. I think it apples to other Chrysler vehicles because the 5500 sensors do not need programming. You just drive at +15 mph for 20 minutes or in my case at +50 mph for 800 miles !
Well, there were part numbers for TPMS sensors for every vehicle. That meant a different part number for the sensors for 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton pickups because the psi threshold was different for each vehicle. The manufactures soon learned that it made sense to have a test tool that could set the threshold in the sensor. This is the tool most tire dealer have. They "program" the threshold in the sensors.

Another piece of the puzzle is location. When a sensor triggers, the display needs to know/display which wheel it is. The same test tool lets the tire dealer walk from wheel to wheel and identify each wheel. As a paen to those who rotate their own tires (wheels, actually), they have to give you a way to re-identify which wheel+sensor is where. In GM vehicles, for example, you wiggle the key and light switch until the horn honks. Then go to the left front wheel and release air until the horn honks. Then right front, right rear, and left rear in sequence. After the horn honks at the last wheel, the system is "re-programmed" and you re-fill the tires.

There's probably at least one more feature that's programmed here. But (probably) only one of them is programmed by merely driving.
__________________
Larry

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 12:29 PM   #15
Norwood Auto Italia
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Montana & TX
Posts: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post

There's probably at least one more feature that's programmed here. But (probably) only one of them is programmed by merely driving.
The OM and workshop manual provided with the OM seems to indicate that the only programming required on this install is driving. There is no way to set the threshold limits. There is not even a specification provided as to what these are on the new deliveries. That is a different system and is known as the TPMS and is only available on the 10K GVWR vehicles. The 5500 has a TPIS (Page 140 of the OM) and its a binary system that just delivers the actual pressures to the screen. There is no apparent threshold or deflation warning and when I deflated a tire significantly while struggling with the user unfriendly inner tire valve position, I did not receive an alert.
__________________
2000 Sportsmobile E350 EB
2006 Renegade/Peterbilt K1854 and T1220
2021 Isata 5 28SS Explorer
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 12:49 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Well, there were part numbers for TPMS sensors for every vehicle. That meant a different part number for the sensors for 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton pickups because the psi threshold was different for each vehicle. The manufactures soon learned that it made sense to have a test tool that could set the threshold in the sensor. This is the tool most tire dealer have. They "program" the threshold in the sensors.

Another piece of the puzzle is location. When a sensor triggers, the display needs to know/display which wheel it is. The same test tool lets the tire dealer walk from wheel to wheel and identify each wheel. As a paen to those who rotate their own tires (wheels, actually), they have to give you a way to re-identify which wheel+sensor is where. In GM vehicles, for example, you wiggle the key and light switch until the horn honks. Then go to the left front wheel and release air until the horn honks. Then right front, right rear, and left rear in sequence. After the horn honks at the last wheel, the system is "re-programmed" and you re-fill the tires.

There's probably at least one more feature that's programmed here. But (probably) only one of them is programmed by merely driving.
In the Ram trucks the pressure setting for what the truck expects to see as the normal pressure is set in the computer. I have adjusted these settings on many Ram trucks over the years. The different sensors for a 1500 might be because they don't need to accommodate the higher pressures of the bigger trucks, but it could also be to fit different wheel styles. The Ram trucks can by themselves figure out which sensor is in which position, I've watched my 2500 do it.
Phreak480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 02:32 PM   #17
Norwood Auto Italia
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Montana & TX
Posts: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreak480 View Post
In the Ram trucks the pressure setting for what the truck expects to see as the normal pressure is set in the computer. I have adjusted these settings on many Ram trucks over the years. The different sensors for a 1500 might be because they don't need to accommodate the higher pressures of the bigger trucks, but it could also be to fit different wheel styles. The Ram trucks can by themselves figure out which sensor is in which position, I've watched my 2500 do it.
How are these settings adjusted. Again nothing in the manuals?

And yes, the manuals do say that the Receiver can figure out what the pressure is from any wheel just by driving and whether or not the wheels have been moved. But that's all they can do unless fitted with an option that is not available on the 5500.
__________________
2000 Sportsmobile E350 EB
2006 Renegade/Peterbilt K1854 and T1220
2021 Isata 5 28SS Explorer
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 02:50 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamgat View Post
How are these settings adjusted. Again nothing in the manuals?

And yes, the manuals do say that the Receiver can figure out what the pressure is from any wheel just by driving and whether or not the wheels have been moved. But that's all they can do unless fitted with an option that is not available on the 5500.
Manual won't have any info on adjusting it and the dealer may not either. I know on the 1500 and 2500 trucks the ability for the dealer to change the pressure threshold was removed from their witech software. Not sure on the 3500-5500 which have TPIS instead of TPMS. It gets adjusted using an aftermarket scan tool as wall as a module (or subscription service) to get past the security gateway module (the thing that was added to keep hackers from remote accessing the vehicle computer) along with the pin code for the keyless entry module (the same module that also interfaces the tire pressure sensors). I haven't done it on a 5500 or even on a 2021 ram in general as I don't have the bypass kits for the various models.
Phreak480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 08:26 AM   #19
Norwood Auto Italia
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Montana & TX
Posts: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreak480 View Post
It gets adjusted using an aftermarket scan tool as wall as a module (or subscription service) to get past the security gateway module (the thing that was added to keep hackers from remote accessing the vehicle computer) along with the pin code for the keyless entry module (the same module that also interfaces the tire pressure sensors). I haven't done it on a 5500 or even on a 2021 ram in general as I don't have the bypass kits for the various models.
I have seen these tools for sale but considered them dubious if there is no dealer or user approved way to adjust the pressures.

As a risk manager, I am also doubtful that Dodge/Ram can afford to leave these sensors to the random setting during a warranty period by not allowing the dealers to check the function. If one or more of the settings is incorrect and a fatal accident happens because the pressure threshold shows a setting that is significantly off and therefore unable to warn the driver of deflation, the plaintiff's bar would have a field day.

So I do not entirely buy your view that these settings are a secret unless one invests in a non approved tool to perform a non approved check for a setting that is not specified in any factory documentation. It makes no sense but then a lot of things like this are nonsense these days.

I have read on this and other Ram sites of dealers doing a "calibration" of the sensors but no one has had either the curiosity or capacity to figure out what that means. I know my dealer can do nothing other than check that there is a wireless signal and its S/N. What its sending and whether its received is not ascertainable.
__________________
2000 Sportsmobile E350 EB
2006 Renegade/Peterbilt K1854 and T1220
2021 Isata 5 28SS Explorer
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 07:41 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamgat View Post
I have seen these tools for sale but considered them dubious if there is no dealer or user approved way to adjust the pressures.

As a risk manager, I am also doubtful that Dodge/Ram can afford to leave these sensors to the random setting during a warranty period by not allowing the dealers to check the function. If one or more of the settings is incorrect and a fatal accident happens because the pressure threshold shows a setting that is significantly off and therefore unable to warn the driver of deflation, the plaintiff's bar would have a field day.

So I do not entirely buy your view that these settings are a secret unless one invests in a non approved tool to perform a non approved check for a setting that is not specified in any factory documentation. It makes no sense but then a lot of things like this are nonsense these days.

I have read on this and other Ram sites of dealers doing a "calibration" of the sensors but no one has had either the curiosity or capacity to figure out what that means. I know my dealer can do nothing other than check that there is a wireless signal and its S/N. What its sending and whether its received is not ascertainable.



It's not that the settings in the vehicle computer are a secret it's that the ram dealer tool cannot currently change them. Supposedly it was removed in error, but some claim it was intentional so that dealers would not be able to adjust the pressure thresholds lower for customers. The tools available are using the dealer approved way that exists in the vehicle's computer from when it was manufactured.



I never said the values were a secret, never said the tools are non approved, shops use non factory scan tools all the time. I also never said it's not in any factory documentation. I said it's not in the owners manual because it's not readily user adjustable. The owners manual doesn't tell you how to adjust the vehicle computer for different size tires but it is a function built in to the vehicle's computer and can be adjusted with the factory scan tool or an aftermarket one.



You can check what the setting is set to without being able to change it, and the end user can check what the TPMS threshold is set at simply by reducing air pressure and then the dash will tell you the tire is low and what pressure to inflate to, that is the threshold.


If using factory sensors i'd suspect the "calibration" is forced activation of the sensors to ensure they are operating but without having to drive down the road and wait for them to sync up. I do know there are in the aftermarket world universal type sensors that get "programmed" to different vehicle types.
Phreak480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
pressure, tire

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:36 AM.