Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2019, 03:40 PM   #1

Install our tow hardware ourself? also is supplemental brake necessary?

We have purchased all our hardware to tow our 2018 Ford Explorer 3.5L Eco boost (yes, it is def flat towable, that's the reason we bought this gas guzzler!). We got the Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 All Terrain tow bar with the Roadmaster base plate. DH was going to install himself but after watching a video, its a lot of steps and we are moving toward having someone install it for us. However, I got one estimate of $1000+ just for the labor. Is that reasonable? Also, we are being told we need a brake system as well and are wondering if its really necessary.

Anyone know of a place in Los Angeles, preferably north of the 101 freeway, that you would recommend to install for us?

Thanks for the help!
Windsurf-mobile for us
LandKKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 04:59 PM   #2

To be legal in most places you will need a supplemental braking system. If you have an accident without one you are in legal jeopardy. Don't know about installation in the Valley as we keep our rig at Lake Havasu. Lake Havasu has many places. It is probably a 4 hour job. That says about $500-$600 plus the braking system.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rskeans View Post
To be legal in most places you will need a supplemental braking system. If you have an accident without one you are in legal jeopardy. Don't know about installation in the Valley as we keep our rig at Lake Havasu. Lake Havasu has many places. It is probably a 4 hour job. That says about $500-$600 plus the braking system.
There it is again. Another legal beagle. Please post your references for these statements your making.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
There it is again. Another legal beagle. Please post your references for these statements your making.
Not my post to defend, but AAA's website lists trailer braking requirements by state. A quick overview shows that most every state requires trailers (tows) over 3000 pounds (or so) to have a supplemental or independent braking system. Even if your state doesn't, if you are going to travel much, you will likely go into a state that does.
Seeking70 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:38 PM   #5
D W

As the OP lives in CA, that appears to be Law in CA.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:46 PM   #6

Quote:
It's getting to be common place for braking on toads anymore .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKKnight View Post
We have purchased all our hardware to tow our 2018 Ford Explorer 3.5L Eco boost (yes, it is def flat towable, that's the reason we bought this gas guzzler!). We got the Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 All Terrain tow bar with the Roadmaster base plate. DH was going to install himself but after watching a video, its a lot of steps and we are moving toward having someone install it for us. However, I got one estimate of $1000+ just for the labor. Is that reasonable? Also, we are being told we need a brake system as well and are wondering if its really necessary.

Anyone know of a place in Los Angeles, preferably north of the 101 freeway, that you would recommend to install for us?

Thanks for the help!
Benchmark in Sun Valley used to have a great rep but looks like it has gone down hill. If i still had my shop in LA I would have done it for you. A friend had a great shop in Reseda but retired 10 years ago
Winger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:46 PM   #8

Quote:

Thanks for the help!

You might call Tom at Benlo in Irwindale, great people and appear to do good work. I've not used their services but do buy a lot of parts there.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:47 PM   #9

Our Dynamax Dealer in Thousand Oaks referred me to Conejo Vacation Trailer to figure out Flat Tow situation. Our coach should be arriving in about a week so I'm just about to give them a call.

We will also be going with the Rvi3 brake system with all the gadgets.
FuelandFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelandFire View Post
Our Dynamax Dealer in Thousand Oaks referred me to Conejo Vacation Trailer to figure out Flat Tow situation. Our coach should be arriving in about a week so I'm just about to give them a call.

We will also be going with the Rvi3 brake system with all the gadgets.
+1 for conejo vacation trailer. Mike is a stand-up guy.
cpttimerstraint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Well you totally mis-understood my point. The point was not to be a 'legal beagle' but to prevent being used as 'Cannon Fodder' for lawyers.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Well you totally mis-understood my point. The point was not to be a 'legal beagle' but to prevent being used as 'Cannon Fodder' for lawyers.
So, it appears you have no references then. That's ok.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:21 PM   #13

There are many references available, some were provided by others in this thread. But I have no intention to dig them up for you.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:35 PM   #14

Quote:

Thanks for the help!
If you have basic mechanical skills and tools you can install the base plate. I did it on my jeep with no problems. Just follow the steps. I don't know about Roadmaster but the Blue Ox I have has very good detailed instructions.

I use RVI3 brake system. As others point out using a brake system is required by some states and it makes sense. You will have 5,000 + pushing on the tow bar when stopping. In normal controlled stops usually not an issue. But in an emergency braking situation it is needed. In the unlikely event the tow bar or hitched fails the brake system will activate. This prevents the tow vehicle from passing you. [emoji6]

We have a lot of $$ in the motorhome and tow vehicle. I don't understand why folks debate not using a brake system which improves safety for the user and others on the road.

Happy RVing.
Old 04-26-2019, 05:20 AM   #15

I did my own install on a Jeep GC. I would call it a moderate job. There were two 1/2” holes to drill and that was the biggest challenge. The support videos were a life saver.
mikew968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 07:52 AM   #16
Commercial Member

Quote:
There are many references available, some were provided by others in this thread. But I have no intention to dig them up for you.
I will, cause this guy is acting like Kanye West... Or a "Know it all Nancy" if we like alliteration/rhyming.

"Intellectual Ineffectual"

California Trailer Code
26302 Every trailer over 1500 lbs must be equipped with brakes on at least 2 wheels.

State and Province Towing Laws

Here are the California Towing Laws You Need To Know Before You Tow

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 09:07 AM   #17
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I will, cause this guy is acting like Kanye West... Or a "Know it all Nancy" if we like alliteration/rhyming.

California Trailer Code
26302Every trailer over 1500 lbs must be equipped with brakes on at least 2 wheels.

Love it! [emoji106]

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 09:11 AM   #18
DW's 401(k) Plan

My 20-something son installed our baseplate on the Liberty. I think he said he had to drill 2 holes. Proper tools, place to work and time and you will save the money to spend on your braking system.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 12:51 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post

California Trailer Code
26302Every trailer over 1500 lbs must be equipped with brakes on at least 2 wheels.

Read this, it states trailers I called DMV they said if under 3000 # and can come to a control stop in 40' not required on a towed car. The key word they said is trailer as stated in the law, but suggest it's better to have one plus a breakaway. Call DMV

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 12:56 PM   #20
Commercial Member

I will agree that there is some differences related to terminology...but how many passenger vehicles are under 3000 lbs? Certainly not a Ford Explorer.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote