Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2019, 09:25 PM   #1

Internal Water Leak - 2019 Dynaquest XL 3801TS

Went on our second campout to clean up a few more issues on our punch list. On the second day, my wife noticed water oozing up along all four sides through the grout on a tile (just left of refrigerator) when she stepped on it. The tile just forward of it had a small crack across the entire tile.

I opened up all access panels and noticed water behind a panel located in the back of a cabinet. It also had a removable bottom shelf. There was no water leaking where I observed the standing water and stains. The MH was on city water with regulator set at 40 psi.

I turned on the shower and the water started to leak from above in the wall cavity. It was obviously leaking between the shower mixer value and the fitting for the shower head. I assumed the fitting on the mixer value or the shower head was loose. How to get to it with tearing the wall apart?

There was a mirror on the rear kitchen wall just above the counter top. I measured the approximate elevation and realized the mixer value and shower head fitting where located behind the mirror. The mirror was attached with velcro and easily removable. I then carefully cut through the wall panel with a razor knife.

This exposed the mixer value hose fitting and the show head hose fitting. Both fittings were tight. Turned the shower back on and still observed the leak from below. I placed my cell phone camera in the opening a took the attached picture.

The screw had punctured the hose approximately 1/16 of an inch. Amazing how much water leaked out. I removed the hose and went to local supply hose to replace it. The screw was neutralized and the hose installed. No more leak.

Placed a fan in the area over the next two days before returning home.

Did the water under the tile damage the tile glue and grout and is it the casual factor for the broke tile?

I understand the cost of quality and attempts keep this products AFFORDABLE, but my punch list is getting longer not shorter. I must assume there will be other surprises in store for us on future road trips.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	file-2.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	324.0 KB
ID:	208078   Click image for larger version

Name:	file-3.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	208079  
Alan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:16 PM   #2
2018 Dynaquest 38TS

The tile is a floating floor hopefully it will dry out.
DR Quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 11:16 PM   #3

Good job troubleshooting. Sorry you had to deal with that. I hope everything dries out thoroughly for you.
Rumline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 01:56 AM   #4
Señor Miembro

If it makes ya feel any better, we've had 6 or so water leaks now (that I've seen so far) in 3 weeks of ownership of our 2019 XL37BH. I only figured out the easy one from the supply side of the water pump (the easy one). The others are hidden and come and go. Thanks for the great post on ur leak. I'll keep an eye out for it.
Rancher Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:36 AM   #5

You gents are not alone. We have a 2020 XL 37RB and had a severe water leak behind and underneath our shower enclosure. It turnout that the mixing valve was improperly installed, the shower drain was not sealed and the pipe from the shower drain to the grey tank had leaking fitting connections. Soaked the flooring above our rear most 2 compartments. The dealer, Van City RV, and Dynamax took care of us (thank you) but still these things should not have happened. It all has dried out but we now have loose tiles that still need to be addressed. Now a fitting is leaking under one of the bathroom sinks ....
Old 08-29-2019, 08:12 AM   #6

The screw through the hose is awful.

The other comments about the drain fittings and faucet connections leaking. Our seem to loosen up after a few hundred miles. I just keep that on a check once or twice a year. Just had the bathroom hot water side loosen up and I had tightened it back in April.

shaking will loosen stuff up.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:15 AM   #7

You are right about fittings just working their way a bit loose - I have now gotten into the habit of checking frequently. My wife gets a kick out of my "paranoia" ....

Tags
leak, water, water leak