Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2021, 01:38 PM   #1

Inverter Upgrade - Firefly Integration

I thought all 2021 Isata 3's had a 2000W inverter but noticed last night when i peeked my head in, it's only 1000W. I just ordered two Battle Born 100Ah LiFePO4 to replace the stock AGM's and I'm thinking I'd like to upgrade to a 2000W inverter to run the coffee maker and other items without worrying if the inverter can accommodate.

The question is ... what are my options in regard to what plays nice with the Firefly system? To maintain the ability to enable/disable via Firefly, do i need to go with the Magnum 2000W or will other inverters work? Not that I have a problem with Magnum, just looking for options
RudyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 02:16 PM   #2
Commercial Member

2000 watt inverter was a running change slated for 2022 Model year.

As a side note, you will not get the full advantage of lithium batteries unless you upgrade the other components as well...mainly converter (which depending on age, might have the lithium switch on it).

We are asking the same questions as the 2000 watt inverter is no longer plug and play with Firefly...but it looks like there are two versions.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 02:31 PM   #3

Thanks for the response, Brian.

I picked up the Victron battery monitor and Li-BIM as well. There's a sticker on the converter cover that indicates it's lithium ready via a switch. Based on perusing the forum and the video you guys put together, I think I covered all my bases ... anything I'm missing?

Are you guys installing the Magnum CSW2012 in the 2022 Isata 3? Could it be a simple software update from Firefly to get that model to work in my 2021?
Old 05-03-2021, 02:48 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyShoe View Post

I picked up the Victron battery monitor and Li-BIM as well. There's a sticker on the converter cover that indicates it's lithium ready via a switch. Based on perusing the forum and the video you guys put together, I think I covered all my bases ... anything I'm missing?

Are you guys installing the Magnum CSW2012 in the 2022 Isata 3? Could it be a simple software update from Firefly to get that model to work in my 2021?
There is a CSW and a CSW X. I am not sure why we lost Firefly integration, but it went from a simple on/off to a more involved switch. However, when I look at the 2000 watt CSW..it has the same switch we run today. Hope to know more after staff tomorrow.

Old 05-03-2021, 03:05 PM   #5

Quote:

You may want to check out my post on a lithium conversion on a 2021 24FW where I had issues with the LI-BIM not functioning well due to overvoltage from the smart alternator. I had to move to a victron DC-DC charger setup as a result.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ge-227988.html
sdbruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 03:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Hope to know more after staff tomorrow.
Thanks, Brian. Your involvement on the forum was definitely a contributing factor in my Dynamax purchase.
Old 05-03-2021, 03:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbruin View Post
You may want to check out my post on a lithium conversion on a 2021 24FW where I had issues with the LI-BIM not functioning well due to overvoltage from the smart alternator. I had to move to a victron DC-DC charger setup as a result.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ge-227988.html
Yeah, I saw your post and bookmarked it Going the DC-DC route if I experience the same issue you encountered. Did you figure out your alternator issue?
Old 05-03-2021, 03:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Yeah, I saw your post and bookmarked it Going the DC-DC route if I experience the same issue you encountered. Did you figure out your alternator issue?
After installing the DC-DC the voltage stays within a more normal range below 14.8V, so I'm going to guess that the Li-BIM combined with a post-dry camping thirsty set of Lithiums was causing the alternator to go into hyperdrive. I'd be curious if you or others have the same experience on the newer chassis MBS.

(One thing to note as well -- if you have the 3200 diesel gen + lithiums with this setup, you can't run the battery charger + AC at the same time, it will overload the gen given the amps being pushed into the lithiums.)
Old 05-03-2021, 03:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbruin View Post
After installing the DC-DC the voltage stays within a more normal range below 14.8V, so I'm going to guess that the Li-BIM combined with a post-dry camping thirsty set of Lithiums was causing the alternator to go into hyperdrive. I'd be curious if you or others have the same experience on the newer chassis MBS.

(One thing to note as well -- if you have the 3200 diesel gen + lithiums with this setup, you can't run the battery charger + AC at the same time, it will overload the gen given the amps being pushed into the lithiums.)
I'll report back on my experience once I get everything installed.

Thanks for the note but I have the LP gen. Assuming that limitation doesn't apply?
Old 05-03-2021, 04:02 PM   #10

Quote:
I'll report back on my experience once I get everything installed.

Thanks for the note but I have the LP gen. Assuming that limitation doesn't apply?
Unclear but I hope those 400 extra watts will serve you nicely!
Old 05-13-2021, 08:31 AM   #11

Quote:
There is a CSW and a CSW X. I am not sure why we lost Firefly integration, but it went from a simple on/off to a more involved switch. However, when I look at the 2000 watt CSW..it has the same switch we run today. Hope to know more after staff tomorrow.
Hey Brian, any progress here? Sounds like my batteries will be delivered sometime next week ... Wanting to upgrade the inverter at the same time if possible.
Old 05-13-2021, 08:33 AM   #12
Commercial Member

nope, waiting on the supplier at this point.

Old 05-13-2021, 08:44 AM   #13
Commercial Member

Quote:
Hey Brian, any progress here? Sounds like my batteries will be delivered sometime next week ... Wanting to upgrade the inverter at the same time if possible.
Literally just got a call from the supplier. The 2000 watt just has a different remote panel and it does not communicate with the multiplex. They are working on one that has RV-C, which is the standard communication language with the RV multiplex stuff, but that will be a bit. So for now, you just have to turn on/off the inverter at the wall switch

Old 05-13-2021, 10:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Literally just got a call from the supplier. The 2000 watt just has a different remote panel and it does not communicate with the multiplex. They are working on one that has RV-C, which is the standard communication language with the RV multiplex stuff, but that will be a bit. So for now, you just have to turn on/off the inverter at the wall switch
Appreciate the update! Is that the case for both 2000W models?

Regarding "you just have to turn on/off the inverter at the wall switch" ... do you mean that if I upgrade to the 2000W now, I'd have to install the wall switch?
Old 05-13-2021, 10:51 AM   #15
Commercial Member

Quote:
Appreciate the update! Is that the case for both 2000W models?

Regarding "you just have to turn on/off the inverter at the wall switch" ... do you mean that if I upgrade to the 2000W now, I'd have to install the wall switch?
As I recall, there was a remote switch either way. Could be wrong however.

Old 05-21-2021, 03:37 PM   #16

I received my LiFePO4's from Battle Born, as well as the Li-BIM and BMV-712. I'm planning to install everything this weekend but as I poked through the various threads, I'm still a little unclear of one thing ... where in the heck is the BIM located on a '21 Isata 3?

Hope someone can point me in the right direction

Tags
firefly integration, inverter upgrade