RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-27-2020, 04:08 PM   #1
Ekg

Invisible Hand Turns off Battery Charger

Problem:
When we plug into 50amp shore power the Magnum inverter/charger charges the batteries to 100%, but at some point after that the it stops charging the batteries (resulting in a slow energy drain). We can still run the AC units and the refrigerator, indicating that the system is passing power through to the coach even when it isnít charging the battery bank. We can restart charging by doing a soft reset of the Inverter/Charger (holding the Inverter/Chargerís on/off button down until the green indicator light goes into a sustained rapid pulse and the RVC Bridge ďfaultĒ light flashes red). After the soft reset the system will charge the batteries normallyÖ for a few hoursÖ and then it magically turns back off and we do it all over again!

Has anyone dealt with this problem before? Alternatively, does anyone have any guesses about what might be causing it?

Iíve taken a few pictures to illustrate the problem. The first is of the system when it is NOT working. You can see the the that the white line with arrows go from shore power to the Transfer Switch, to the Breaker Box, and then to the Inverter/Charger, but not to the House Batteries. You can also see that the rear pump is on (under EMS Line 2), which would be impossible if the shore power wasnít reaching it.

The second picture shows what the I/C Settings screen indicates while the system is not working.

The last picture is what it the panel shows after the reset. Now the white line with arrows go all the way to the House Batteries.

My first guesses include:
1. Iíve somehow changed a key setting on the firefly
2. The Inverter/Charger or the Bridge have a problem
3. The Victron system is messing with me!

Any thoughts would be much appreciated! Thanks,

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	73A5A4B8-27D1-4720-B413-089FDB88E568.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	348.0 KB
ID:	242052   Click image for larger version

Name:	0D49BFA5-58B9-4551-92ED-BEA50F505855.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	356.9 KB
ID:	242053   Click image for larger version

Name:	D498399C-A0BC-4FC8-80AE-95F326B3BAA0.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	335.9 KB
ID:	242054  
Ekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 06:47 PM   #2
Motorized GM

If it is at 100% then it doesn't need to charge. What does it drop to when it is not charging? Have you let it drop far enough to see if it will start back up again? 12.8 is just about full for acid batteries.

Edit: in a quick look back, it appears maybe you have a 28SS with Xplorer? So do you have factory installed lithium?
Please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 07:04 PM   #3
Ekg

Hi Brian, and thanks for responding.

I've let it discharge as low as 74% before hitting reset, and yes, I have the lithium package.

I went ahead and took screenshots of the Victron settings (see below):

Thanks again for taking a look.

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	033564A5-C00C-428D-84A4-95963666D00B.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	242078   Click image for larger version

Name:	AE89CA12-C6FD-4107-9C84-7A722C61F20C.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	242079  
Old 10-27-2020, 07:16 PM   #4
Motorized GM

Just to clarify, the Victron is a monitor not a charger.

Ah, if you look at your I/C settings, it shows the battery type as flooded. That needs to be lithium.
Please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
Old 10-27-2020, 07:22 PM   #5
Ekg

Yes, I misspoke on the VictronConnect! Love it, though...

Lithium isnít an option for some reason. Maybe the version?
Old 10-27-2020, 07:37 PM   #6
Motorized GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekg View Post
Yes, I misspoke on the VictronConnect! Love it, though...

Lithium isnít an option for some reason. Maybe the version?
Is custom? Or fixed?
Old 10-27-2020, 07:49 PM   #7
Ekg

Yes, "Custom" is an option (screenshot of the inputs below).

It has always reverted to "Flooded" for some reason. I once asked Kyle T. about it, and he indicated that the automatic choice of flooded might be a good thing in the absence of a lithium option. If I can adjust "custom" to be a better fit, though, I'm all for it.

Since the setting hasn't changed but the charger changed its behavior a few weeks ago, are you thinking that there is a new miscommunication between the pieces of the system? If something updated then perhaps I can track down the new inconsistency...
Old 10-27-2020, 09:00 PM   #8
Motorized GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekg View Post
Yes, "Custom" is an option (screenshot of the inputs below).

It has always reverted to "Flooded" for some reason. I once asked Kyle T. about it, and he indicated that the automatic choice of flooded might be a good thing in the absence of a lithium option. If I can adjust "custom" to be a better fit, though, I'm all for it.

Since the setting hasn't changed but the charger changed its behavior a few weeks ago, are you thinking that there is a new miscommunication between the pieces of the system? If something updated then perhaps I can track down the new inconsistency...
As I recall, we set the custom parameters so that it is set up for lithium. Flooded certainly won't work as the batteries will almost always show fully charged.
Old 10-29-2020, 12:07 AM   #9

I have a Victron solar charger, on the battery settings, I had to scroll down on the pop up list of battery types to find lithium. I read many blogs that users of victron had the same problem of not finding the lithium battery setting, because it is not visible and no indication of the scroll function, may be the same with the battery monitor
Daniel.mullins4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery