Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2017, 08:39 PM   #1

Is a Dynamax Isata 5 in my future?

Hello all,

The wife, 2 dogs and I have been RVing for about 3 years since we retired. We started out with a 2012 Newmar Dutchstar 38. We really liked it except for it being a bit too large for many state and national parks plus it only got 6 MPG.

We decided to downsize, sold it and bought a Roadtrek CS Adventurous with solar and lithium batteries for more boondocking. While the mileage is great at 16+ MPG, it's pushing the limit to pull my Jeep JKU Wrangler and with 2 people and 2 dogs it gets a bit cramped inside.

So now we're like Goldilocks with the class A being too big, Class B too small, will a class C be "just right"

The Jeep weighs over 4500# so I want tow capacity to be 7000#. We live in Florida and have already done 3 trips to the west coast and are planning another plus thinking about a trip to Alaska.

So this brings me to looking at an Isata 5. I had a 2004 Ram 2500 CTD that I had for 200k miles. Sold it to my brother who put another 100k on it, still has and it is still going strong. Except for ball joints, a water pump (DIY for $40 )and routine maintenance it has been trouble free, so another Ram would be a plus.

Can you tell me why you bought an Isata 5? What else did you consider? We're trying to look at one but nobody in the area has one in stock. We hope we don't have to wait until the Tampa RV show in January to see one in person.
Slolane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 11:52 PM   #2

We just bought ours, 35DB. Excellent unit! We traded a Jayco E450 class C for similar reasons, we wanted towing capacity without getting something too big. We pull a Ram 1500, about 5300 lbs.

It's a beautiful rig that drives like a regular truck, honesty I forget we are a 36ft motorhome. Pulling the truck nets me about 9 MPG. It pulls it with no problems.

There is plenty of room for us, 5 in total. The cummins is a proven power train that's easy to maintain.

Check Lazydays in Tampa. I was about to buy mine there until my local dealer matched the price. They were supposed to get it mid October.
vrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 02:08 PM   #3

We are a 2 person, 2 dog family as well and have been RVing first in a 21 ft Class C (too small) and then, since 2009, in a 23 ft travel trailer. We've been happy in the trailer but want to upgrade. So tired of dealing with the hooking up process and leveling process. Saw the Isata 5 30fw at the Pomona show and fell in love. The actual box is closer to 27 feet as the engine is so big compared to a gas rig, it measures 32 ft bumper to bumper. There is so much more outside storage than in our trailer we were blown away. It's rated to tow 10k lbs. It looks like it will fit our family perfectly!
Windsurf-mobile for us
LandKKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:02 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies.

Anyone else care to share their reason for choosing an Isata 5 over competitors?
Old 10-23-2017, 09:43 PM   #5

I love my Isata 5. You just need to go to their specs page and you can see why I made the purchase. My list would look like the page itself. I absolutely love the paint job as well as the interior. I went to Pismo a couple weeks ago and parked my Isata 5 between two Dutch Star Class A's and had more people stopping and asking about the 5 and never paid attention to those rigs. It just stands out. The Cummins really sealed the deal. I pull a Jeep or my fully rigged bass boat with a 250 engine and don't know it's there. Did I mention it's a 4x4? Since I live near Tahoe it was a must for me.

I'm sorry if I'm not answering your question but I think the Isata 5 sells itself.

Just my 2 cents.

Paul
4XGLMPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:33 PM   #6

Is a Dynamax Isata 5 in my future?

There really is no competition... unless you go to a freightliner chassis. The Isata 5 ride and towing is light years ahead of all other class C. We looked at some class A's too, Nice room but that was about it. The best part is driving it. Comfortable and confident is the best way to describe it.
vrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrunner View Post
There really is no competition... unless you go to a freightliner chassis. The Isata 5 ride and towing is light years ahead of all other class C. We looked at some class A's too, Nice room but that was about it. The best part is driving it. Comfortable and confident is the best way to describe it.
I agree 100%
4XGLMPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:08 AM   #8

Got word that a nearby dealer just got one in!!!

We're going to check it out tomorrow.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:34 AM   #9

We've been researching which RV to purchase for a year and a half. Due to towing capacity and resell value of a diesel started seriously comparing Super Cs. The Dynamax clearly stands out as a front runner. We traveled to the Pomona RV show to look them over and to see their new 30fw model. Immediately fell in love with the 30fw and placed an order at the show. The hard part is waiting for the April delivery..LOL.
SusieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 11:08 AM   #10

Susie, I tried to pm you but I think it went somewhere called profile comments. Couldn't figure out how to send pm from my phone. Maybe you can look there and pm me?
Windsurf-mobile for us
Old 10-24-2017, 04:05 PM   #11

Susie:
Replied to your pm on the forum. couldn't find you on FB.
Linda
Windsurf-mobile for us
Old 10-24-2017, 04:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieR View Post
We've been researching which RV to purchase for a year and a half. Due to towing capacity and resell value of a diesel started seriously comparing Super Cs. The Dynamax clearly stands out as a front runner. We traveled to the Pomona RV show to look them over and to see their new 30fw model. Immediately fell in love with the 30fw and placed an order at the show. The hard part is waiting for the April delivery..LOL.
I dont know how you guys all play the waiting game. We were lucky enought to find ours the week we decided to buy and even that seemed like agony
Old 10-24-2017, 04:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
I dont know how you guys all play the waiting game. We were lucky enought to find ours the week we decided to buy and even that seemed like agony
30fw's aren't even on line yet! if that's what we want, we gotta wait. I was told late April/early May. I want a Dynamax and the others are just too big, this 30fw is it!!
Windsurf-mobile for us
Old 10-24-2017, 04:28 PM   #14

I was shopping for one and ended up wuth a Dyanmax REv but i can tell you the best price for a new one is in EBAy at a dealer bear Elkhart. Forgot the guys name but you'll find him on Ebay. Dynamax is quality.
Dpelaez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKKnight View Post
30fw's aren't even on line yet! if that's what we want, we gotta wait. I was told late April/early May. I want a Dynamax and the others are just too big, this 30fw is it!!
Ya I totally hear ya. In all honesty if the 30fw was out while we were shopping it likely would do for what we need. Now that we're spoiled, probably not...

Still admire your patience
Old 10-24-2017, 05:21 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to letsgorving Send a message via MSN to letsgorving Send a message via Yahoo to letsgorving
Really fourwhl? You bought a DX3 and you could do with a 30fw? Yeah, me too.
My husband says I want everything the DX3 has, but in the size of a van
Old 10-24-2017, 07:56 PM   #17

Haha. Well I'll say I could do with the 30fw, maybe not the wife though...
Old 10-24-2017, 08:35 PM   #18

I was very happy with a slide in truck camper. But because of DW I now have a DX3, Oh Well!
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:49 PM   #19

It's a rough compromise but I think we'll survive!
Old 10-24-2017, 09:33 PM   #20

Send a message via AIM to letsgorving Send a message via MSN to letsgorving Send a message via Yahoo to letsgorving
Can't wait to meet everyone!!!