Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2019, 04:44 PM   #1

Is this MH possessed?

My parents have a 2018 Isata 3 24FW that has been nothing but constant trouble since the day they bought it new in December 2017.

The very first sign of trouble was the radio, which couldn't pick up broadcast stations (AM or FM) and didn't work with Bluetooth. This was resolved by the dealer by replacing the unit entirely. No big deal.

Then the slide kept losing the programming for the stops, even though it was plugged in at the storage site and was generally operated with the engine or generator running or when plugged in at a campsite. To their knowledge the battery has never been an issue, but that's a "he said, she said argument", so let's ignore that for now - I mention it here for background before continuing.

Speaking of the slide, when it did operate, it tore the flooring up because (according to the dealer who fixed the flooring under warranty) the rollers were installed incorrectly. Not a good sign when judging build quality and QA processes! But hey, they replaced the floor, so not the end of the world, but it did mean they were without the unit for 4 months for this one issue. (Lack of being able to use it is one of the biggest complaints throughout this story!)

Now that everything seemed fixed, and the RV was back in their possession, things should be looking up, but hold your horses, I'm just getting started...

After getting it back and parking it at the storage place (where it was all locked up tight), they returned later to clean it up only to find the slide was out! After that trip they put it back in again, and the next time they went back (you guessed it) the slide was out again, this time accompanied by a nasty note from the person in the next stall about it. We're grateful they were good at backing up that 5th wheel without hitting anything...

After a while the slide problem got a bit more aggressive, and to this day it frequently just extends itself immediately whenever the engine isn't running (thankfully). This one hasn't been resolved, partly because the dealer is so far away (and nearby Forest River dealers refuse to do warranty work). They've had to just disconnect it for now.

And over the last 2 weeks, even more excitement:
  • When they went to pick it up from storage to leave on this trip, the thermostat was on even though it had been left off. (They live in Texas, so they would have known if it had been left on since it would have been running when they left for sure given the heat.)
  • When they turned on the heat pump, it was cycling on and off every 1-3 minutes; it wouldn't stay on even though the thermostat was set to 70 and the internal temperature was only 67. The furnace solved that problem, but that defeated the purpose of having/using a heat pump.
  • Also new this week - the auto leveling system just raises the front end straight up in the air, then fails with the "too steep" error. He's gotten pretty good at manually leveling it...
  • Starting last week, the steps would occasionally react to the opening/closing of the door even when the switch was off.
  • Last night, even though the switch was off and the door was closed, the steps started sporadically retracting and extending on their own (which makes the dogs bark because they think someone is coming in).
  • Today the steps are completely non-functional, and are stuck in the out position (even when driving).

Thanks for reading this far - that's a lot of problems (and I've left some out!) and at this point they're trying to decide whether to get all this warranty stuff fixed and then sell it or give up on the RV life all together. This is the 2nd RV they've had, but it might well be the last considering how much money they will have lost on the deal, how much time they've invested in troubleshooting, taking it in for service (2 hours one way), the fact they've barely been able to use it, and even when they do they are uncomfortable at best, dangerous at worst.

In a truly just and fair world, Forest River would simply give them their money back and say "sorry, we know that really sucked." Since I'm sure that's not a possible outcome, is there anything else we can do??
sjhill01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 04:54 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjhill01 View Post

In a truly just and fair world, Forest River would simply give them their money back and say "sorry, we know that really sucked." Since I'm sure that's not a possible outcome, is there anything else we can do??
It's not a fair world but depending on where you live there is always the lemon law...

I had to use it on an aluminum bodied Ford truck that they couldn't fix. Look up the law for your state (very important as every state is different) and do some research.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:13 PM   #3
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigH View Post
It's not a fair world but depending on where you live there is always the lemon law...

I had to use it on an aluminum bodied Ford truck that they couldn't fix. Look up the law for your state (very important as every state is different) and do some research.
RV's don't have the a lemon law like motor vehicles do, most states the lemon laws don't cover RV's at all. Since the OP is about a motorhome the lemon law will most likely cover the chassis only.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 05:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
RV's don't have the a lemon law like motor vehicles do, most states the lemon laws don't cover RV's at all. Since the OP is about a motorhome the lemon law will most likely cover the chassis only.
Some do and some don't. Mine does cover rv's, this is why I said look up the laws for your state because they are all different...
Old 10-18-2019, 06:20 PM   #5

CA lemon laws cover RV's. https://thelemonfirm.com/how-lemon-l...xoC4sMQAvD_BwE
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 06:53 PM   #6

I saw this today and found it very interesting, maybe it can help you.

Legacy C38. 2018.
South Texas.
SPCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 10:07 PM   #7

Be careful with a malfunctioning step with dogs

I have heard horror stories about them getting trapped in them.
slimetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 07:28 AM   #8

Thanks for the info on lemon laws. But I'm equally interested in any "aha!" ideas about some common simple issue that could be causing all these things that night be an easy fix, too
Old 10-19-2019, 08:09 AM   #9

Slide out - out, T-stat - on; sounds like someone's been inside. Change the locks.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 08:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Slide out - out, T-stat - on; sounds like someone's been inside. Change the locks.
We know the slide out problem is that it does it spontaneously. It's happened more than just at the storage place, and we've witnessed it.
Old 10-19-2019, 10:56 AM   #11

More cheezy slideout ******** (stuff)! Go back to hydraulics!!
Magnatudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 12:26 PM   #12

There is a thread on this forum about the slide issue. Maybe this will help with that one at least.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ly-190669.html

Also, I would call Dynamax and talk to the area service rep. They will do their best to help you resolve your issues even to the point of allowing you to use a local mobile service tech to do the work and reimburse you for the work under warranty.
Old 10-19-2019, 01:31 PM   #13

If you have Equalizer levelers, they have a really good tech department. Give them a call and they can probably walk you through a solution to your leveler issue.
There is a magnetic type switch on the entry door frame that may be out of adjustment that has to do with your entry step problem.
The cycling you describe for the heat pump seems to be fairly normal. We only use ours for A/C, which works fine. We carry a small electric heater and only use the furnace when the little electric can't keep up.
Old 10-19-2019, 03:28 PM   #14
Commercial Member

^^this^^ Please have them reach out to our people at Dynamax. There is "I think" a known issue with the slide controller and moisture...I don't know if it is heat and moisture or what, but they can replace the brain and switch and that seems to correct it. I have given them all the data and hoping they step up and are more proactive.

As for the steps/t-stat/jacks....that really starts to sound like a bad battery to me. Some things on their own just happen...but I have seen batteries that are WOEfully depleted or over heated, blow a cell and end up with an intermittent dead short INSIDE the battery. If you pull the batteries and do a load test you will know for sure.

At low voltage...weird things happen. So even if you are plugged in, sometimes a bad battery will draw all the juice for a charge and still be low and that is assuming in storage they never loose power.

https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us

As for hydraulics versus electric slides....its irrelevant. The issue is the electronics and hydraulic slides still have electronics.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 03:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post

As for hydraulics versus electric slides....its irrelevant. The issue is the electronics and hydraulic slides still have electronics.
Sorry, but I beg to differ. Less electronics, less switches, less synchronization issues & endstop issues. Less complicated & more reliable for the consumer. Spring centered solenoid operated valves, fixed stroke hydraulic cylinders, single electric motor driving a hydraulic pump/tank, manifolds & hydraulic lines.

Old 10-19-2019, 03:59 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Yep...and if the electronic controller tells it to go out for some reason (even when its not supposed to)...its going to go out....but in a very simple and reliable manner.

Old 10-19-2019, 04:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Yep...and if the electronic controller tells it to go out for some reason (even when its not supposed to)...its going to go out....but in a very simple and reliable manner.
What electronic controller? There is none. It's a simple key switch to enable the power to the pump and an extend/retract switch that energizes a solenoid operated valve. If the pump ain't running, the hydraulics ain't a flowing. Not even close to the problems that can occur in those electronic modules or confusion introduced to their firmware when the end points are lost due to the flexing of the coach while on the road or on uneven ground.
Old 10-19-2019, 04:21 PM   #18
Commercial Member

There is a switch, its electric, it controls the pump. I'm not denying there are potentially less issues, the simpler the better. But with multiplex systems, etc...if there is an electrical signal or "keyed switch" that malfunctions. It still goes out.

Its sort of a moot point on the sprinter anyway, in that there is not enough CCC for a hydraulic slide.

On the big trucks certainly, we can afford the weight, but I would not give up app control, too convenient. So the answer currently is to have them correct their part...either by them or for them.

Old 10-19-2019, 04:50 PM   #19

Quote:
^^this^^ Please have them reach out to our people at Dynamax. There is "I think" a known issue with the slide controller and moisture...I don't know if it is heat and moisture or what, but they can replace the brain and switch and that seems to correct it. I have given them all the data and hoping they step up and are more proactive.

As for the steps/t-stat/jacks....that really starts to sound like a bad battery to me. Some things on their own just happen...but I have seen batteries that are WOEfully depleted or over heated, blow a cell and end up with an intermittent dead short INSIDE the battery. If you pull the batteries and do a load test you will know for sure.

At low voltage...weird things happen. So even if you are plugged in, sometimes a bad battery will draw all the juice for a charge and still be low and that is assuming in storage they never loose power.

Thanks. I'll have him get in touch when they get back to TX. Working with the dealer is a real pain (the current dealer bought the dealer they originally purchased from, and neither one was/is very responsive), so I'm sure he'll be happy to talk to someone with some actual expertise!
Old 10-19-2019, 04:59 PM   #20

Quote:
There is a switch, its electric, it controls the pump. I'm not denying there are potentially less issues, the simpler the better. But with multiplex systems, etc...if there is an electrical signal or "keyed switch" that malfunctions. It still goes out.

Its sort of a moot point on the sprinter anyway, in that there is not enough CCC for a hydraulic slide.

On the big trucks certainly, we can afford the weight, but I would not give up app control, too convenient. So the answer currently is to have them correct their part...either by them or for them.
I agree about the Sprinter. It's maxed out as it is.
But all others, I would recommend going back to hydraulics. Maybe even share the pump with the leveling system.
Multiplex systems are more susceptible to voltage fluctuations, stray RF signals/noise, heat, humidity, dust, dirt & water, etc...

If a simple key switch fails, you replace the switch or jumper it to get temporary use. If a electronic input or output fails on a multiplex system you have to replace that. The screen is an electronic interface to a programmable controller (dedicated computer) where the outputs energize whatever gizmo they are programmed to energize. These outputs are typically low voltage/low current and they energize relays to handle higher current loads.

I spent much of my early life as a Control Systems Engineer (electromechanical, hydraulics, pneumatics, coolant systems, programmable controllers, NC machine controls, electronics and computers. I was also very familiar with HWH slide & leveling systems just from owning high-end Class A MHs. You should be able to have your vendor program and configure the ability to turn on/off a hydraulic pump and extend/retract a hydraulic slide thru your multiplex system if you have not done so already and make that available to your apple/android apps.