Old 09-09-2020, 02:57 PM   #1
Motorized GM

Is Truck/RV Nav > 10.1" Screen????

We have been waiting for this for some time...but it appears they will not have the Garmin Truck/RV Nav available at the start.

So. If push comes to shove and you had to choose???
Garmin RV/Truck Nav 6.95" Screen OR 10.1" Screen with Apple CarPlay

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-1qktnn...AaAk0vEALw_wcB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	g113DMX1057-o_other3.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	238744  
Please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 03:14 PM   #2
Motorized GM

Twice the area. Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	511.4 KB
ID:	238747
Please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
Old 09-09-2020, 03:55 PM   #3

I’d vote for the truck/RV specific Garmin. When we first got our Force, we used both a Garmin and Waze - just to see how they compared with each other. We thought it strange when the Garmin said it was going to take us 45 minutes longer to get to a state park we wanted to try. As it turned out, there was a low bridge that we wouldn’t have cleared if we didn’t follow the Garmin directions.
Cactus Canyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 05:45 PM   #4

Garmin now has an 8" unit, I mounted on on the dash of my Isata 5 and moved the camera display up where the rear view mirror was.
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/705997#overview
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5925.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	305.5 KB
ID:	238761  
No longer mine: 2006 Rockwood Roo 23SS
All pop-up and tent camping before...
mjbenedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 06:55 PM   #5

Where are you going to fit another 10" unit? Not going to be able to see out the windshield soon!

https://fourwhl.com - Traveling the country in our DX3 for the next year
FOURWHL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 08:01 PM   #6
Retired Army Paratrooper

I'm waiting for the HUD like an F16, just saying
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
Where are you going to fit another 10" unit? Not going to be able to see out the windshield soon!

As I suggested long ago... overhead display

With the flick of a switch (or remote), change video input to display mirrored Nav screen.

Via remote, control rear camera up & down for viewing hitch or road or select other camera inputs such as trailer camera

Regarding Garmin solutions, whether RV 890 or one size fits all Vieo Infotainment, allow for detaching the wireless touchscreen providing the navigator the convenience to peruse/route... on their lap instead of leaning & bending forward.

In my opinion, separating the Nav from entertainment provides more flexibility for future upgrades. It's likely that upgrades for more feature/function Nav units will be more frequent than changing out the stereo head unit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Split Screen Overhead Monitor 12-Inch 3-Cameras.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	238780  
Where There's a Will, There's a Way
Fish or Cut Bait
Magnatudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 11:59 AM   #8
Motorized GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatudes View Post

As I suggested long ago... overhead display

With the flick of a switch (or remote), change video input to display mirrored Nav screen.

Via remote, control rear camera up & down for viewing hitch or road or select other camera inputs such as trailer camera

Regarding Garmin solutions, whether RV 890 or one size fits all Vieo Infotainment, allow for detaching the wireless touchscreen providing the navigator the convenience to peruse/route... on their lap instead of leaning & bending forward.

In my opinion, separating the Nav from entertainment provides more flexibility for future upgrades. It's likely that upgrades for more feature/function Nav units will be more frequent than changing out the stereo head unit.
I'll jot that down as a 10" screen, no nav then. Perfect.

Edit: PS. This system (even the Kenwood we use today) allows you to mirror the screen to an tablet on your lap and it is controllable as I recall.
Old 09-10-2020, 12:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Canyon View Post
I’d vote for the truck/RV specific Garmin. When we first got our Force, we used both a Garmin and Waze - just to see how they compared with each other. We thought it strange when the Garmin said it was going to take us 45 minutes longer to get to a state park we wanted to try. As it turned out, there was a low bridge that we wouldn’t have cleared if we didn’t follow the Garmin directions.
I agree. I have a Garmin dzel Truck/RV/auto unit. My F150 has factory navigation and we also use Waze. Several times the RV routing algorithm has saved us grief. We usually monitor Waze when around large cities because it has been quicker than the others in picking up and routing around traffic, etc., but personally I would never rely on regular auto routing as my primary when towing. In addition to picking routes that negotiate bridges and suck, my Garmin also advises about steep grades, s curves, and other conditions, plus I can tell it when I am carrying propane and get routed around tunnels that prohibit.
wjrdmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 01:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I'll jot that down as a 10" screen, no nav then. Perfect.

Edit: PS. This system (even the Kenwood we use today) allows you to mirror the screen to an tablet on your lap and it is controllable as I recall.
Yes, 10", no nav

Garmin RV890 or Overlander Nav with ProClip dash mounts & Garmin mag adapters in all vehicles. Set it up when at camp or home. Place it back when done. Move it to the toad or when home put in your daily driver.

Miracast does allow for control but if you have no nav in this 10" DMX1057XR, what would you want to control from a tablet, music, audio books, messages,...? Just do it on the 10" screen. Let the kids play with the tablet or have the navigator use it for internet perusal.

Heck, for that matter, why even have a 10" screen for a Navless head.
Fish or Cut Bait
Old 09-10-2020, 01:34 PM   #11
Motorized GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatudes View Post
Heck, for that matter, why even have a 10" screen for a Navless head.
It has (4) camera inputs. We could eliminate the extra screen for the cameras. Or split screen cameras and Nav.

PS. Ok, I have you down now for a 6.95" screen and no nav.

(which isn't an option for this exercise so "invalid response. Data does not match expected value")
Old 09-10-2020, 05:08 PM   #12

Truck/RV Garmin 7" with nav. Very helpful, not too distracting nor does it block vision.
Dirt Sifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 05:22 PM   #13

Garmin 6.9" Nav display here.

Bill
WrkdbfGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
It has (4) camera inputs. We could eliminate the extra screen for the cameras. Or split screen cameras and Nav.

PS. Ok, I have you down now for a 6.95" screen and no nav.

(which isn't an option for this exercise so "invalid response. Data does not match expected value")
Well now you bring in 4 camera inputs into the picture. So I guess you are thinking of getting rid of your dedicated dash mount solution and reverting back to sharing one screen for cameras, radio, MP3, Sat, blah, blah, blah.

You already know my opinion about camera display location in the middle of the dash. That is the worst place and least ergonomic location for it. Accident or crick-in-the-neck waiting to happen. Your dash mount was much more in your face, reachable and flexible.

So to expand on your original question, does your audience really want multi-camera display in the middle of the dash and do they care about what it takes to switch around what is displayed?

Regarding size of the dash display, 10" vs 7" (6.95") without cameras, folks that have a 7" dash mounted head might only wish they had a better RV Nav and maybe something with a larger display located more in your face. Also, will the 10" dash mount interfere with access to other stuff like switches, vents, gauges, ...? Bigger display is always nice, but at what cost/benefit. Is there a sacrifice?

Before you go invalid, let's try to get all of the parameters, preferences and scenarios clearly defined for this ambiguous expected value.
Fish or Cut Bait
Old 09-10-2020, 08:23 PM   #15
Motorized GM

Lol...not sure how ambiguous it is. I clearly give two choices. it’s a simple question, asking for a simple response. To gauge the importance of a 10” screen in the double din location vs another variable, Is one thing more important than another.
Old 09-11-2020, 12:15 AM   #16

Garmin RV Nav!
SusieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 12:57 PM   #17

Garim RV Nav for us.
JC70 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 05:40 PM   #18

Garmin RV nav here too. I'd have to see the 10" mounted. The 7" Kenwood is serving me fine now.
shultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 04:50 AM   #19

Garmin RV Nav.

2020 Isata 5 30FW 4x4
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
TrailWayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 07:39 AM   #20

Garmin RV/Truck Nav 6.95"

Tags
truck