Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2017, 09:06 AM   #1

Isata 3 - Air Valve Extensions

I have the aluminum wheels on my new Isata 3. Has anyone added air valve extensions and if so, what brand fit the aluminum wheel slots?

Also looking at the Tire Minder pressure monitoring that links to my iPhone if anyone has experience with this product.

Thanks
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 12:33 PM   #2

I just added longer valve stems to mine. Found them here Duallyvalve Kits for Class B or C - Sprinter Trucks
They have several kits available depending on the wheels you have. Since I only needed the stem for the inside dual, I called to get just that part. Very knowledgeable people to talk to. The kit that most closely matched what I have (Hispec aluminum wheels with steel inner dual) is the DL1SPAL. The valve stem alone is part # VH515S6CSP It is a straight 6" long stem that needs to be bent a little bit in two places to make a 3/4" offset.
They are the entire stem that bolt in from the inside of the wheel, not just an extension that screws on. $55. plus shipping
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3538.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	263.1 KB
ID:	137825   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3545.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	275.6 KB
ID:	137826   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3546.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	268.9 KB
ID:	137827  
chroniekon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 12:45 PM   #3

So you had a tire shop dismount and break the tire down to install?

I have heard conflicting results with the braided stainless extension which seem to work if you can keep them from rubbing on any of the rim and causing a leak.

Probably best to go with the solid extensions and have them installed at a tire shop.
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 01:19 PM   #4

I have an old tire machine in my shop that kept this a DIY project. But yes, the outside bead needs to be broken down from the wheel. The tire doesn't need to be removed from the wheel though.
The problem I ran into with all the other options was there isn't any good way to support the stem if you use an extension or braided lines. The Hispec brand aluminum wheels used by Dynamax (at least on mine) have a smaller sized 'hand hole' and there doesn't seem to be anybody that makes the rubber stabilizer bushing to support the style of stem that would tend to flop around. It made sense to go with the solid stem replacement. If you have actual Alcoa brand wheels, they make bushings for those.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:34 PM   #5

On a side note for anybody removing the lug nuts on the aluminum wheels, they have a decorative chrome tin cover that looks like a solid chrome lug nut at first, but isn't. The lug wrench that comes in the tool compartment will fit once you pull off this cover. There is however, no wrench included to remove the cover. I will be adding a pair of rubber jawed pliers to my tool kit. And a 'cheater bar' to give added leverage to the lug wrench.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_3547.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	406.9 KB
ID:	137840  
Old 05-15-2017, 12:33 PM   #6

TireMinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman55 View Post
I have the aluminum wheels on my new Isata 3. Has anyone added air valve extensions and if so, what brand fit the aluminum wheel slots?

Also looking at the Tire Minder pressure monitoring that links to my iPhone if anyone has experience with this product.

Thanks
We purchased a TireMinder pressure monitoring system. We ordered extensions when we ordered the system. It is monitored on our phone and a laptop. We have been pleased with it. The repeater was mounted on the side of the cabinet with all the other switches.

Doris & Bob
2017 Isata 3
Dori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 03:27 PM   #7

I was going to install them on our GS350 but was told they could leak. I spoke to a couple of truck drivers they said the same thing .
Baddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:39 AM   #8

what will you do when the tires are rotated every 6000 mls.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip51 View Post
what will you do when the tires are rotated every 6000 mls.
If you are talking about the extended valve stems, it doesn't change anything. The Aluminum wheel/steel inner dual combination can only be rotated side to side. Front to back won't work because the front aluminum wheels won't fit on the rear, and the rear aluminum wheels won't fit on the front. At least on the Hispec brand wheels, not sure about Alcoa.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:56 PM   #10

Skips question above in post #8 got me to thinking about another scenario I hadn't considered. Would I be able to put the spare on in the event I had a flat on an outside dual? That is, would the long valve stem on the inner dual pass through a hole on the spare wheel? Answer is yes, but it's close.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_3558.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	276.6 KB
ID:	138754  
Old 05-22-2017, 07:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chroniekon View Post
On a side note for anybody removing the lug nuts on the aluminum wheels, they have a decorative chrome tin cover that looks like a solid chrome lug nut at first, but isn't. The lug wrench that comes in the tool compartment will fit once you pull off this cover. There is however, no wrench included to remove the cover. I will be adding a pair of rubber jawed pliers to my tool kit. And a 'cheater bar' to give added leverage to the lug wrench.
Here is the tool I ended up with to remove the decorative lug nut covers. $9.97 at Home Depot.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_3563.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	521.9 KB
ID:	138755  

Tags
valve