Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2021, 03:51 PM   #1
DBM

Isata 3 Awning Bracket Screws

I have a 2019 Isata 3. I bought it new one year ago. Have only had the awning out on a handful of occasions and was always concerned because the mounting brackets always appeared too small to me for a cantilevered awning. So I watch this closely. Today I looked even closer and I noticed that indeed the bracket was in fact starting to pull away from the coach. I took the one corner screw out by hand and could immediately tell that these are too small of screws ( length wise ) especially considering that these are self tapping screws.

I'll try to attach photos but I admit to struggling with this whole chat program. I realize that the photos are crooked.

Has anyone else noticed this happening as well. Could Dynamax consider using longer screws going forward ? I plan to pull all the top ones and replace with longer screws. Dean
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpeg
Views:	75
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	260495   Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.jpeg
Views:	72
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	260496   Click image for larger version

Name:	image3.jpeg
Views:	68
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	260497  
DBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 04:18 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

You’re right. They look a little short for the job at hand.

Hopefully Bryan will drop by with his take on this.
He’s your best friend when it comes to Dynamax.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 07:26 PM   #3
Commercial Member

The length is fine. Might need to go up a diameter at this point though, possibly fill the hole with a little epoxy.

The backer for the awning is 1/8" or 1/4" aluminum plate. While we sometimes back that with plywood (to keep the screw from vibrating), that is not the primary material. Threads any longer would not really make any difference as they threads only bite into the 1/4" material.

Please see the Latitude awning installation instructins.

https://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/d...stallation.pdf

Notes about screws:
 For installations using metal backing plates: Attach using 1/4 x 1" self-drilling screws. The screws must be long enough for the threads to reach through the backing plate

There is zero reason to go longer. It will serve no purpose unless you want to go through the wall and bolt it.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 09:01 PM   #4
DBM

Roger that. Thanks. As the old screws have pulled out, I have opted to go wider and a little longer. Plus, and I know you will cringe, but and going to use and adhesive (vs, the sealant ) to place behind the bracket in an attempt to keep it in place.

I was hoping that there might be some wood structure behind all this to help carry the load.

I'm sure that you folks don't want these falling down and needing to absorb a warranty claim.

Thanks again fine sir. Dean
DBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 08:55 PM   #5
Rey

Isata 3 2021 24FW

[QUOTE=DBM;2612604] I have the same problem with mine, My Awning front bracket need a back plate to be bolt on from the inside, look at the pic:

The OEM install this with self tapping lag screw and yes I could have lost it, I noticed the play while parked.

3-4 screw are striped, I do not think they install a backing plate at all in the wall if so a tech (me will tell you it is not enough)

I intent to use construction adhesive, a metal back plate bolts, washers & lock nuts
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front plate.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	277785   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front plate 2.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	277786  
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 02:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
The length is fine. Might need to go up a diameter at this point though, possibly fill the hole with a little epoxy.

The backer for the awning is 1/8" or 1/4" aluminum plate. While we sometimes back that with plywood (to keep the screw from vibrating), that is not the primary material. Threads any longer would not really make any difference as they threads only bite into the 1/4" material.

Please see the Latitude awning installation instructins.

https://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/d...stallation.pdf

Notes about screws:
 For installations using metal backing plates: Attach using 1/4 x 1" self-drilling screws. The screws must be long enough for the threads to reach through the backing plate

There is zero reason to go longer. It will serve no purpose unless you want to go through the wall and bolt it.

I appears that the screw that was removed is only biting 2 threads into the back plate. IMO not enough bite. Perhaps a different type of self drilling screw should be used that is full length thread. Would be a stronger joint.

Maybe something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Thread-Cuttin...c-891e95133f20
Old 08-13-2022, 03:05 PM   #7
Rey

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRedburn View Post
I appears that the screw that was removed is only biting 2 threads into the back plate. IMO not enough bite. Perhaps a different type of self drilling screw should be used that is full length thread. Would be a stronger joint.

Maybe something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Thread-Cuttin...c-891e95133f20
Not going to work with self tapping those are not to be use on moving veh, bolt + lock nut side to side with a metal back plate is the only solution all this with some good adhesive to seal it all. As is the material is not strong enough for the weight of the awnings with self tapping screw a good engineer would figure this out really fast, Dynamax need to improve their product, this is my 3rd trip (less than 100 miles) and getting around to check everything next the rear sway bar, will check for torques! Cheers
Old 08-13-2022, 04:01 PM   #8
Rey

awning isata 3 2021

Not going to work with self tapping those are not to be use on moving veh, bolt + lock nut side to side with a metal back plate is the only solution all this with some good adhesive to seal it all. As is the material is not strong enough for the weight of the awnings with self tapping screw a good engineer would figure this out really fast, Dynamax need to improve their product, this is my 3rd trip (less than 100 miles) and getting around to check everything next the rear sway bar, will check for torques! Cheers

Tags
awning