Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2017, 11:15 AM   #1

Isata 3 Canopy

We have been using our Isata 3 FW for about 2 months and on our 4th trip.

I was closing the awning yesterday and heard a snap and the attach plastic piece came falling down. I have looked all over and can't see anything missing. The awning still seems to work fine. Any ideas where this goes. It broke off, so need to get a new piece from Carefree, but don't know what to ask for.

General question - does everyone leave your awning out when you go away for a few hours and depend on the wind sensor to close if needed? Have not had any winds yet to see how the sensor even works?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0732.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	330.9 KB
ID:	144735   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0733.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	323.1 KB
ID:	144736  
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:42 AM   #2

Different awning but I dont trust the wind sensor more than a nice to have when we're sitting there. I wont leave it out unless its dead calm when we leave. On the first setting it'll roll up if you look at it the wrong way, but on the second one I had one storm we were using it for some rain protection cooking dinner and when the wind finally kicked up and folded one of the arms halfway in (and then sprung back out) I ended up running inside to close it manually.

If its blowing the right direction it works great, but I've seen some funny stuff that makes me way to uneasy to leave it out unsupervised.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:38 PM   #3

I'm glad you posted this. The same piece popped off on mine the first time I put the awning out and I could never figure out where it came from.
chroniekon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 05:54 PM   #4

My only thought is it's some kind of retainer used in shipping and it is supposed to be taken off before use? It has a plastic screw that slips in the mounting hole with friction, no threads.

We will see if anyone else knows what it is.

I saw another post by BClemens on jerking the canopy fringe 18" to test the auto retract. I plan to try that when I get my rig out again.
Old 07-15-2017, 06:31 PM   #5
Commercial Member

I sent this pic to the production manager...see if he recognizes it.

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 07:41 PM   #6

Thanks Brian,

It will help when I call carefree if I know what I am talking about 😀
Old 07-16-2017, 02:18 PM   #7

The first time I opened mine the same thing happened I was told it was a retainer clip for transport/shipping
yojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:19 AM   #8
Commercial Member

It is a "guide clip" for lack of a better term. It is supposed to guide the center support back into the proper place. My production manager says they break all the time. Its the little Christmas tree clip that breaks in most cases. He says the awning seems to work with or without that clip.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:44 AM   #9

Mine broke the first time the awning was opened during pdi. Clip is to guide the awning onto properly closed position. The guys at the dealership took a clip off another unit and adjusted the awning to close properly. No problems (at least with the awning) since.
V8vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:18 AM   #10

All good info, thanks. Does everyone's awning making a one time loud bang noise when it closes right up against the mount? I wonder if mine needs to be adjusted as well. Will call Carefree and get a new guide.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:54 PM   #11

If adjusted properly the awning shouldn't make the noise you describe. Mine did when it broke the clip. After the adjustment was made at the dealership the noise is gone.
V8vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman55 View Post
All good info, thanks. Does everyone's awning making a one time loud bang noise when it closes right up against the mount? I wonder if mine needs to be adjusted as well. Will call Carefree and get a new guide.

Mine makes that sound, and I fully expect something to break when I hear it.
Kstreet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:04 AM   #13
Commercial Member

That sound is normally when it is coming in, slightly off center. it gets hung up on an edge of some sort, eventually it will find center...with a slight notification that it did

Old 07-19-2017, 11:43 AM   #14

OK, got a response from helpful folks at Carefree who told me the Isata 3 has the Dual Latitude canopy and the part that broke was #16 in the attached diagram. Here is also a link to the parts list. So it's not a retainer clip, but part of the awning mechanism.

https://www.e-carefree.com/ecarefree...r?productId=91

Make sure you are on the dual latitude list and not the single.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0745.PNG
Views:	100
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	145295  
Old 07-19-2017, 12:52 PM   #15

Good info, thanks for sharing.
chroniekon is offline   Reply With Quote