Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2019, 06:57 PM   #1

Isata 3 Cargo Carrying Capacity

I have questions regarding how Dynamax arrives at the cargo capacity of the Isata 3 24FW motorhomes.

I have looked at old threads in this forum and other places on the net and I keep getting conflicting information. I also called Dynamax and no one ever called me back.

This is the first time that I have looked at MB Sprinter based mohos. I was expecting a lower CCC than mohos based on Ford and Chevy chassis, however, I didn't expect the CCC to be so low, unless Dynamax calculates its ratings differently.

Based on Dynamax specs, the GVWR for the Isata 3 is 11,030 pounds. According to the yellow sticker on a unit that I'm interested in, the "Dry Weight" is 10,086, leaving 944 pounds.

My question is: Does the dry weight include a full tank of fuel and a full tank of propane, or not?

A tankful of fuel is 182 pounds. A full tank of propane is about 85 pounds. A full tank of water will weigh about 290 pounds.

This is where my concern comes in. If I have to deduct the weigh of the fuel, propane and fresh water, I end up with only 387 pounds left. The wife and I, plus our dog weigh almost that much and leaves zero for carrying capacity.

I would be very grateful if someone can check these numbers and tell me if I'm correct or not on my assumptions. I can't fathom an RV manufacturer putting out a motorhome with only 400 pounds of carrying capacity for passengers and cargo.

The sticker shown in the picture is from the Isata 3 that I'm interested in.
Gemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 08:54 PM   #2

My CCC is 943 lbs on my Isata 3. It does already deduct a full tank of fuel and full propane. It does NOT deduct any fresh water, grey or black tank contents.

The RV is just for my wife and I so we get along fine with the 943 lbs. IMO the Isata 3 is made for couples and not families.

Here is my weight sticker. You add the 132 kg fresh water to the CCC of 296 kg for a total of 428 kg without any fresh water, which is 943 lbs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9BE17931-46A0-45D7-BB8D-F62C665C14CA.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	292.9 KB
ID:	194103  
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:16 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. It seems I calculated my numbers correctly by adding fuel and propane to the "dry weight." If I travel with a tank full of fresh water, which we do often since we dry camp often, the coach can only handle the weigh of my wife, our dog and I, with nothing else. I must say I'm very disappointed since I like the 24FW quite a bit.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:35 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Options cost weight. The sub 1,000 CCC is normally due to options. If you do not option the cab-over bunk you save about 100 lbs and if you take the standard levelers, instead of optioning the 4 point levelers, you gain another 100 or more.

But yes, we're all fairly limited on the Sprinter at 11,000 lbs.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:44 PM   #5

It’s all about what your needs are in an RV. We are 20 months into owning our Isata 3 and we have yet to put a drop of water in the fresh water tank. We always stay where we have full hookups, sewer if possible but always water and electric. If you have a need to do a lot of dry camping, then maybe you should look at the Isata 5 and a higher CCC.

We have the propane generator to save weight and I only start up the generator occasionally to exercise the generator and maybe when I am working in the RV at home where I don’t have a plug in.
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
... instead of optioning the 4 point levelers, you gain another 100 or more.

Will the coach stay level without the aid of the four levelers on the full wall model? Having owned previous mohos with slideouts, the weight of the slideouts made the coach lean but the using the levelers solved the problem.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:32 AM   #7

If you are going to have a toad, you may be able to put some cargo in it.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
Will the coach stay level without the aid of the four levelers on the full wall model? Having owned previous mohos with slideouts, the weight of the slideouts made the coach lean but the using the levelers solved the problem.
Yes, it will stay quite level. Rarely even need the two stabilizers. Forget the four point leveler option. They add a lot of weight and just are not needed.

But, I don't trifle much about being absolutely level either. We all know the Earth is flat. If the frig still works at a several degree angle, the rig is level enough for my needs.

Now watch some poster vehemently deny that Earth is flat or explain in excruciatingly painful detail how an unlevel frig will somehow ruin your life.

You will love the Isata 3!
namusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:42 AM   #9
Commercial Member

The rear stabilizers are also individually controlled. So it does give you a little flexibility. Just don't try to life the coach, they were not designed for that and you're likely to blow a motor.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chroniekon View Post
If you are going to have a toad, you may be able to put some cargo in it.
The primary reason we're entertaining a coach this small is so we don't have to have a toad.

We intended to pull a utility trailer with a SxS but it seems that's not possible since the tongue weight will add at least a couple of hundred pounds to the coach.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc View Post
Yes, it will stay quite level. Rarely even need the two stabilizers. Forget the four point leveler option. They add a lot of weight and just are not needed.

But, I don't trifle much about being absolutely level either. We all know the Earth is flat. If the frig still works at a several degree angle, the rig is level enough for my needs.

Now watch some poster vehemently deny that Earth is flat or explain in excruciatingly painful detail how an unlevel frig will somehow ruin your life.

You will love the Isata 3!
I'm not a perfectionist when it comes to leveling but I like the coach to be reasonably leveled.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
I'm not a perfectionist when it comes to leveling but I like the coach to be reasonably leveled.
I don’t have the levelers and have not needed them. I can usually move around the the camp site and get level enough. I do carry LEGO’s and have used them on occasion. I’ve owned several rvs with levelers and at some point have always had issues with them. One of the reasons I downsized was to get away from all the added gadgets required to operate the larger rvs. That said I have the rw floor plan with the two smaller slides. I have noticed the full wall models do lean with the slide extended so maybe that’s why people are optioning the levelers. The rw also has a lot more storage space than the fw so maybe it weighs less to begin with?
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
I have noticed the full wall models do lean with the slide extended so maybe that’s why people are optioning the levelers.

That's what I was afraid of. We were leaning toward the FW model because of the open layout makes the interior feel very roomy. I may start looking at the RW model and its CCC more closely.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:03 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Isata 5, 30FW....all the CCC you could want and still the diesel most desire.

Old 01-07-2019, 12:09 PM   #15

The 4 point levelers are my favorite option. It is pure luxury to pull into a spot, push a button...and done. Not to mention, the rig is rock solid if some one else is moving around or its windy outside. And I think the full wall slide works a little smoother when all four corners are level to each other. We've never needed it, but if you needed to change a tire or put on tire chains, you can use the levelers to raise up the rig for that (I think I would use the jack also as an added safety measure). A member here with one of the big rigs even used his levelers to raise his rig to put something under his tires after getting stuck in soft ground.
I weighed my Isata 3 last summer on the way home after a weekend camping trip. As mentioned, I have 4 point levelers, along with solar panels, aluminum wheels, full body paint and the regular dinette set. No cab over. The wife and I and a Golden Retriever (about 450 lbs) and all our stuff (food, clothes,a small tool kit, some fire wood, water hose, electrical cord, chairs,photography gear, etc) fuel tank 1/2 full, propane was 3/4 full, all holding tanks empty. 10,900
Old 01-07-2019, 02:21 PM   #16

There was some talk a while back about some lightweight aluminum levelers that might be available. I’m not sure what became of that.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 02:25 PM   #17

Agree with the post above. I have posted many times on this topic before and after purchasing my 2019 Isata 3 FW. I have no cab over, trifold sofa, levelers, aluminum wheels and diesel gen. I usually run with empty holding tanks, full propane, 1/3 fresh water and top off before heading into the back country. My wife and I carry a lot of stuff including mountain bikes. Absolutely no issues with handling. I love the levelers as well. I have even seen ISATA 3's with motorbikes on the back! I can't recommend you run grossly overweight, but from my 8 months experience, I no longer worry as long as I am close.
Barch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 02:54 PM   #18
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
There was some talk a while back about some lightweight aluminum levelers that might be available. I’m not sure what became of that.
Smoke and mirrors from the supplier. LCI is working on a new leveling system that simplifies the cylinder and cuts a decent amount of weight...not the 100 lbs total we were looking for, but close enough. We're also making some changes to our glass composition. I think we'll start seeing CCC up over 1,000 lbs by the end of the year.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:05 PM   #19

We purchased an 2018 Isata 3 FW and have loved it. BLUF: Pack as you would normally for any camping trip. Yes, the CCC is near the top or above for normal use. We purchased the Isata 3 with full auto-levelers. solar strips, Theater seats in place of Dinette set, and realized for any trip we were close. Be smart with tire pressure but as long as you pack as you need for trip and nothing more things will work out.

Tags
cargo