Old 07-02-2020, 10:30 AM   #1

Isata 3 CCC

I just weighed 2017 Isata 3 RW. All tanks empty except gas and propane which were mostly full. Without clothes, husband and dogs I'm already 10# over the 11,030 limit. My axle weight were Not carrying much at all and don't have husband or dogs, which will account for another 320 pounds. My axle ratings were 5-10% under the rear and front GAWR.

I was not aware of all of the weight rating when we bought the unit or I would've thought twice.

Any suggestions? We don't have cab over, we have propane gen, we have steel wheels, stabilizers (not levelers). My husband doesn't seem concerned about exceeding the weight rating, but I am.
Kimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:34 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimjim View Post
I just weighed 2017 Isata 3 RW. All tanks empty except gas and propane which were mostly full. Without clothes, husband and dogs I'm already 10# over the 11,030 limit. My axle weight were Not carrying much at all and don't have husband or dogs, which will account for another 320 pounds. My axle ratings were 5-10% under the rear and front GAWR.

I was not aware of all of the weight rating when we bought the unit or I would've thought twice.

Any suggestions? We don't have cab over, we have propane gen, we have steel wheels, stabilizers (not levelers). My husband doesn't seem concerned about exceeding the weight rating, but I am.
I have no overhead bunk,Stabilizers,aluminum wheels, diesel generator, full propane,Full fuel, empty holding tanks, 1/3 of a tank of fresh water, all clothes, food, and camping gear, electric theater seats. Me in the drivers seat(187#). Weight is 11,260. Steer axle 3900#,drive axle 7360#. 42,000 miles in that configuration with no issues. I also pull an enclosed trailer with a Harley and other gear With a tongue weight of 400#s when I travel to Wyoming mountain country.
Iíve pulled Dead Indian pass and Beartooth Pass Many times pulling the trailer without any problems. Just a note, I have added Sumo Springs front and rear, and Michelin Agillis Cross Country tires front and rear and Bilstein rear shocks. Handles like a dream and pulls like a work horse.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:39 PM   #3

So you're over too

So, you are over 230#? If you've had no issues, then I'm not going to be too concerned. I have the same Michelin tires all around. I just went thru the unit trying to lighten it up as much as possible.

Did the Bilsteins come on your unit from the factory or did you add both the Sumos and the Bilsteins?
Kimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:50 PM   #4

Quote:
So, you are over 230#? If you've had no issues, then I'm not going to be too concerned. I have the same Michelin tires all around. I just went thru the unit trying to lighten it up as much as possible.

Did the Bilsteins come on your unit from the factory or did you add both the Sumos and the Bilsteins?
I added both, they come with Bilsteins now I believe, but not the Sumos.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Old 07-02-2020, 05:29 PM   #5
Motorized GM

This is a double post. Admin. can we combine these two so all the responses are under on roof please?

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ue-210303.html
Also, please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 05:14 AM   #6

Quote:

Actually, when I pull the trailer Iím over by 700# but Iím still under the rear GVW and I never get close to the front GVW. So suspension wise Iím good. I have to take it easy on the engine and trans when pulling the mountain passes. I manually down shift and keep the RPMs up and watch the temperature gauge to make sure I donít work it to hard. When going down the mountain I drop it another gear and let the engine do most of the braking.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Old 07-03-2020, 10:55 AM   #7

Noticed the double thread as well...

I have been RV'ing for over 35 years and have been concerned w/ the issue for the same time. When my wife and I decided to downsize MH's a couple of years ago, I began researching this issue more re MBZ chassis MH's. This Forum has been a wealth of info along the way... We honed in on the Isata 3 24FW after attending a number of shows over the past 2 years as we liked the build, materials and floorplan even though in many cases that meant a lower CCC due to the sturdier construction.

After learning that the '19 chassis was going to have the same GVWR as the '18, we decided to get our feet wet on a used 24FW in Feb of this year. Saved a bundle too... Drove it from MO to CA on the way home w/ the coach virtually empty so CCC was not an issue and then took it on our first trip a week ago. We have a number of options and our CCC is 768 pounds, although between myself, the wife and our rather big dog, we are probably using up almost 2/3 of that before adding anything further to the coach. I would not be surprised if I am over weight fully loaded, but am very much trying to keep that to a bare minimum.

All of that said, I have a couple of questions re CCC as it pertains to the industry and Dynamax specifically.

1) It is my understanding that CCC includes a full tank of diesel and propane, but does it include a full tank of DEF?

2) The Aluminum wheel option (which we have) saves 30 pounds, however that is unsprung weight, and so the addition of that weight savings isn't really helping the CCC is it? Thoughts?

3) I have read on other posts that the RW weighs more than the FW (all options being equal), but have not seen how much more. Does anyone know what the approx. starting weight is for both before adding any options?

4) What is the weight difference between an '18 and '19 chassis? Assuming the extra 2 gears in the trans and added amenities in the cab may weigh more in the '19 chassis?

5) Has anyone found anything that can be removed from the coach to save weight? We have already removed the cushion that turns the dinette into a bed and the bedspread and pillow, but all of that is negligible weight wise. (Not even sure those items are included when Dynamax weighs the vehicle?) We did it mainly to save room as all of those items are bulky. I could remove the spare, but really like the idea of having a spare tire/wheel on the open road...

Guess I could always drain half of the engine oil... J/K

Thanks
Old 07-03-2020, 11:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneum525 View Post
2) The Aluminum wheel option (which we have) saves 30 pounds, however that is unsprung weight, and so the addition of that weight savings isn't really helping the CCC is it? Thoughts?
The way I see it, the CCC is the difference between the empty vehicle with some standard loads included (like fuel), and the chassis manufacturer‘s designated Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. When weighing the fully loaded vehicle, the wheels, even if unsprung, are still part of the gross vehicle weight. The empty weight includes the wheels; the GVWR includes the wheels. So if you lighten the wheels, you gain CCC. It’s not like you can exclude tires and wheels from the GVWR just because they are unsprung. In addition, the weight of the wheels still has to be carried by the tires.

At one time last year we were dead set on buying an ISATA3, but this CCC issue drove us away. Our last motorhome was right on the edge of it’s GVWR, and I no longer have any desire to drive a motorhome overweight. We went with a new Ford class C, and we now have 3,000 pounds of CCC.
Old 07-03-2020, 07:03 PM   #9

Had another question:

6). If the combined GAWR (front and rear) on an Isata 3 is a full 1000 pounds more (which some might suggest therefore that the true CCC is 1,000 pounds higher as well), how does that compare with other class C MH’s on Ford, Chevy, Dodge, etc chassis? Just curious if other manufacturers have a similar differential between GVWR and combined axle weight ratings.

Thanks
jneum525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 09:34 AM   #10

This whole Isata 3 CCC issue is a valid concern and nuts! No one should be counting pounds in order to determine whether their pet or spouse will take them over the weight rating. This is totally insane and the main reason why we dumped our 2018 Isata 3 RW after 3000 miles. While driving down the road we would slow down for every anticipated bump or dip because of the slamming/bottoming out and this got really old and ridiculous after a while. The rear leaf springs were already in a negative bend straight out of the dealer. Risking overload on tires and exceeding the weight limit of the vehicle is not smart. Most travelers don't want to pay attention to what their shoes and socks will add to the overall weight of the RV.
Magnatudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 09:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatudes View Post
This whole Isata 3 CCC issue is a valid concern and nuts! No one should be counting pounds in order to determine whether their pet or spouse will take them over the weight rating. This is totally insane and the main reason why we dumped our 2018 Isata 3 RW after 3000 miles. While driving down the road we would slow down for every anticipated bump or dip because of the slamming/bottoming out and this got really old and ridiculous after a while. The rear leaf springs were already in a negative bend straight out of the dealer. Risking overload on tires and exceeding the weight limit of the vehicle is not smart. Most travelers don't want to pay attention to what their shoes and socks will add to the overall weight of the RV.
Isnít it time for you to move on to the Explorer Forum?
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Old 07-04-2020, 10:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
Isnít it time for you to move on to the Explorer Forum?
Isn't it time for everyone to stay safe, state facts and face truths? The Internet is an amazing space, it allows one to peruse several sites, not just this one. Thanks for your perspective while I continue to minding my own business. Stay safe, big fella!
Magnatudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 10:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Had another question:

6). If the combined GAWR (front and rear) on an Isata 3 is a full 1000 pounds more (which some might suggest therefore that the true CCC is 1,000 pounds higher as well), how does that compare with other class C MH’s on Ford, Chevy, Dodge, etc chassis? Just curious if other manufacturers have a similar differential between GVWR and combined axle weight ratings.

Thanks
On the Ford E-450 cutaway chassis, the rear axle (9 600#) and front axle (5,000#) would combine to make 14,600#. The GVWR is close at 14,500#.

The Chevy 4500 cutaway chassis rear axle (9,600#) and front axle (4,600#) combined make 14,200#. The GVWR is also the same at 14,200#.

The Ford Transit cutaway chassis rear axle (7,275#) and front axle (4130#) combined make 11,405#. The GVWR is 10,360#.

It seems the lighter trucks have more differences between combined axle ratings and GVWR. Perhaps on the Sprinter and Transit, the brakes, frame, and/or drive train dictates the GVWR more so than axle ratings.
Old 07-04-2020, 12:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
On the Ford E-450 cutaway chassis, the rear axle (9 600#) and front axle (5,000#) would combine to make 14,600#. The GVWR is close at 14,500#.

The Chevy 4500 cutaway chassis rear axle (9,600#) and front axle (4,600#) combined make 14,200#. The GVWR is also the same at 14,200#.

The Ford Transit cutaway chassis rear axle (7,275#) and front axle (4130#) combined make 11,405#. The GVWR is 10,360#.

It seems the lighter trucks have more differences between combined axle ratings and GVWR. Perhaps on the Sprinter and Transit, the brakes, frame, and/or drive train dictates the GVWR more so than axle ratings.
I agree with your assessment. The axle weights and suspension will handle the weight. You just have to use caution and common sense when running over GVWR and within axle ratings. Gear down when pulling and descending. Watch your temperatures, and give yourself plenty of space ahead. ( my opinion, not advise) know your Own limitations.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Old 07-04-2020, 04:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post

That's very interesting. Especially the Ford and Chevy with same or very similar numbers (GVWR vs combined axle weight). Thanks BehindBars.

Curious if MBZ just factors in a much bigger margin of error when they determined the Sprinter's GVWR at 11,030. A full 1,000 pounds less than the combined Axel ratings.

Only speculating, but after putting on almost 2,000 miles on my coach and driving in lots of wind, I have never experienced that which Magnatudes mentioned in his post.

Compared to my previous Class A's that had a much bigger GVWR and CCC, my Isata 3 out accelerates, out stops, out handles, feels far more in control going up or down hills or over bumps or in wind.... and the list just continues.
Old 07-04-2020, 04:38 PM   #16

PS: Still looking for someone to weigh in on questions 1, 3, 4 and 5 of Post #7 if you could please.

BC?

Thanks
Old 07-04-2020, 04:53 PM   #17

Quote:
PS: Still looking for someone to weigh in on questions 1, 3, 4 and 5 of Post #7 if you could please.

BC?

Thanks
OK, answer for question #3:

Referencing this thread: https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...rw-204231.html

The Dynamax brochure never listed empty weights in the past but it does now. The Dynamax brochure says the RW is 20 pounds lighter than the FW. But then B. Clemens comes in and says the RW is 50 pounds heavier than the FW. So your guess is as good as mine, but the difference seems negligible and you’ll be struggling with CCC on either model.
Old 07-04-2020, 08:33 PM   #18

[QUOTE=jneum525;2359392]PS: Still looking for someone to weigh in on questions 1, 3, 4 and 5 of Post #7 if you could please.

As for #5. We've managed to travel within the weight limits , but if I just had to take something or a lot of somethings, I'd remove the Onan generator. We have yet to use it. Of course, like everything else, you have to decide for yourself if that would work for you. Also when we tow the Jeep, we could put a few things in it.
Old 07-05-2020, 07:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
...Just a note, I have added Sumo Springs front and rear, and Michelin Agillis Cross Country tires front and rear and Bilstein rear shocks. Handles like a dream and pulls like a work horse.

Hey Bill,
Curious to learn more about the Bilsteins and Sumos...

Do u recall the model # on the Bilsteins (F&R) and did they make much of a difference? If so, how or where? Any idea where did you get them and did u install them yourself?

Also,
I am not familiar with the Sumos. Are those a helper spring? Any idea on cost and same questions above? Also, how much do they weigh?

Thanks...
Old 07-05-2020, 09:15 PM   #20

I have the sumos. They replace the bump stops
With a piece of rubber that fits between bump stop holder and the axel. They work well at limiting some of the side to side sway. Havenít replaced shocks yet on my 2018 isata 3.
Sumos really helped.
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote