Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2020, 02:08 PM   #1

Question Isata 3 Chassis Battery / Animal Repeller Install

I've got a 2020 Isata 3 (2018 MBZ Chassis) and I can't find the 12V chassis battery. Page 230 of the MBZ Sprinter Manual shows it on the driver side but I can't find it there. I'm trying to install a LORAFFE Model ZN-508 under hood animal repeller to protect the wiring. The instructions show how to connect to the vehicle battery posts for automatic operation but I con't figure out what happened to the chassis battery - where did it go?
The2002Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 02:17 PM   #2

Check under the floor on the driver’s side.
Old 07-15-2020, 02:20 PM   #3
Dynamax Isata 5 FW

Quote:
Originally Posted by The2002Wanderer View Post
I've got a 2020 Isata 3 (2018 MBZ Chassis) and I can't find the 12V chassis battery. Page 230 of the MBZ Sprinter Manual shows it on the driver side but I can't find it there. I'm trying to install a LORAFFE Model ZN-508 under hood animal repeller to protect the wiring. The instructions show how to connect to the vehicle battery posts for automatic operation but I con't figure out what happened to the chassis battery - where did it go?

Drivers side under floor mat. You will have to remove the door trim at the bottom of the door. The screws are star heads. Then after the floor mat is removed remove the cover on the floor. ( if you have carpet, the MB rubber mat under it must be removed)
Old 07-17-2020, 02:14 PM   #4

This was a timely post that I read the other night as I just went out to start my MH only to find that the battery is dead. I had no idea that the battery was not located in the engine compartment. Never noticed it missing when giving my MH a service a couple of months ago.

I threw a charger on it, but will probably have to replace it as it has only been a month or so since it last started. Don't think I left anything on the last time it ran.

Does anyone know if the Chassis battery is a standard size and if so, what size?

That thing looks huge. Will most likely try to get an Interstate battery which I have had good luck with in the past unless someone here points me in a different direction.

Also,

Isn't the switch on the far left side of the dash supposed to connect the chassis and coach batteries together when the Chassis battery has low voltage. I pushed the button and heard a click of a solenoid but the engine still wouldn't turn over. Any ideas?

Thanks...
Old 07-17-2020, 03:31 PM   #5

[QUOTE

Isn't the switch on the far left side of the dash supposed to connect the chassis and coach batteries together when the Chassis battery has low voltage. I pushed the button and heard a click of a solenoid but the engine still wouldn't turn over. Any ideas?

Thanks...[/QUOTE]
You need to hold that switch while starting using the house batteries. At least that's how I remember it!
Riverbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 04:09 PM   #6

[/QUOTE]
You need to hold that switch while starting using the house batteries. At least that's how I remember it![/QUOTE]

Yes. That was my understanding as well. Depressed the switch while turning the ignition key wo success.
jneum525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 05:11 PM   #7

There are jump posts under the hood on the drivers side near the rear. You don’t have to access the battery to jump. I would jump start and let the alternator run to assess the condition of your battery.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4D2FFA3A-E2EF-43E3-B760-B09FB3108B0B.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	234113  
Old 07-17-2020, 05:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman55 View Post
There are jump posts under the hood on the drivers side near the rear. You don’t have to access the battery to jump. I would jump start and let the alternator run to assess the condition of your battery.

Wow. Thanks. Great to know. Had seen that red plastic cap numerous times and even had to remove it's housing from the air cleaner when I serviced the MH, but never pushed in on the plastic to expose the + terminal. Guess I need to wear my reading glasses more often...

Is there a terminal post for neg side or do you just find a suitable ground to clamp on to?
Old 07-17-2020, 05:30 PM   #9

From Sprinter Van USA website -

“Just clip the negative jumper cable to an exposed metal area of the engine, and you can jump the van just like any other car. If you want, there’s a special brass bolt attached to the driver’s side inner wheel arch just above the aux battery location. It’s a great place to clip the negative jumper lead.”

I only jumped my Isata 3 once in the three years I owned it. That was right after I bought it and didn’t understand all the transient voltage affecting both the chassis and house batteries. It was plugged in 24/7 after that point.
Old 07-17-2020, 07:03 PM   #10

Quote:
From Sprinter Van USA website -

“Just clip the negative jumper cable to an exposed metal area of the engine, and you can jump the van just like any other car. If you want, there’s a special brass bolt attached to the driver’s side inner wheel arch just above the aux battery location. It’s a great place to clip the negative jumper lead.”

I only jumped my Isata 3 once in the three years I owned it. That was right after I bought it and didn’t understand all the transient voltage affecting both the chassis and house batteries. It was plugged in 24/7 after that point.

Great to know... Thanks. I just assumed that I didn't need to plug it in with the solar panels on the roof.

Do they not charge the Chassis and Coach batteries when the MH is not plugged in?

Thx
Old 07-17-2020, 07:48 PM   #11

I have always stored mine indoors and had 15 amp power, so plugging it in was not difficult and solar obviously not operable. I assume the solar would keep up and yes it doesn’t charge both house and chassis battery.
Old 07-17-2020, 08:41 PM   #12

Quote:
I have always stored mine indoors and had 15 amp power, so plugging it in was not difficult and solar obviously not operable. I assume the solar would keep up and yes it doesn’t charge both house and chassis battery.

... Does or doesn’t charge both house and chassis batteries?

PS: wish I could park mine indoors. Good for u!!!
Old 07-17-2020, 09:17 PM   #13

Sorry, it DOES charge both.
Old 07-17-2020, 10:48 PM   #14

Great. Thanks Milkman. Appreciate the great info. Will be checking out Everything tomorrow.

Can’t quite understand why the chassis battery was low on charge (11ish volts) if the solar panels are charging it properly.
Old 07-18-2020, 12:11 PM   #15

Question Additional Help Needed

Put a charger on my chassis battery yesterday for about an hour or so and raised the voltage to about 12.4V, enough so I could start the engine. When I start the engine, the alternator appears to be working properly as the battery shows 14+V.

That said, there is no increase in voltage at the Chassis battery (or at the auxiliary terminals in the engine compartment that Milkman informed me of), when running the generator or plugged in to house power. Battery voltage does not deviate from the ~12.4V.

Conversely, the AGM House batteries show a dramatic increase in voltage (>13.5V) when the coach is plugged in to A/C or when the Generator is on and to a lesser degree when the solar panels are getting sun.

Is there a switch somewhere that needs to be thrown so that the Chassis battery is also charged w Solar, A/C and Gen? My previous MH's charged all (House and Chassis) batteries w those 3 methods.

What am I missing? No wonder my Chassis battery was low when sitting for an extended period apparently wo being charged.

Thanks
Old 07-18-2020, 01:12 PM   #16

Talking

A hearty THANK YOU to all of you for these posts concerning the coach battery on our Isata 3s. I managed to pull the floor carpets out and access the battery -just where you said it would be. Wondering why all of the manuals that came with the 2020 Isata 3 didn't show where the battery was located and the purpose of the red 12V+ terminal and the brass negative stud on the fender well. Shows how important and useful it is to read the forum everyday to learn about the rig's secrets.
The2002Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 01:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by The2002Wanderer View Post
A hearty THANK YOU to all of you for these posts concerning the coach battery on our Isata 3s. I managed to pull the floor carpets out and access the battery -just where you said it would be. Wondering why all of the manuals that came with the 2020 Isata 3 didn't show where the battery was located and the purpose of the red 12V+ terminal and the brass negative stud on the fender well. Shows how important and useful it is to read the forum everyday to learn about the rig's secrets.
You must not have the Mercedes Sprinter manuals. That information is in there.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery