Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2019, 04:39 PM   #1

Isata 3 hard wired surge protector

Has anyone installed a hardwired surge protector in Isata 3 cb. Any tips or tricks? If I capture shore power at entry do I have to disconnect the shore batteries?

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Jeff
drjeff44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 04:51 PM   #2
Just as confused as you

I hope your are asking about a hard wired EMS (Electrical Management System).

There are many others who can help you better than I but I know the EMS will not effect your 12vdc system or vise versa.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf EMS vs Surge Protection.pdf (106.1 KB, 32 views)
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 05:03 PM   #3

Don't know what you mean by "Capture shore power at entry" but no, 12 volt has nothing to do with 120 volts. I hope you buy an EMS and not just a surge protector.

Hard wired vs portable. Your choice. They both do the same thing.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 06:29 PM   #4

We have the portable EMS for our Isata 3. For 30 amp service I just didn’t think it needed a hard wired unit. I used the Progressive Industries SSP30X
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 01:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman55 View Post
We have the portable EMS for our Isata 3. For 30 amp service I just didn’t think it needed a hard wired unit. I used the Progressive Industries SSP30X
X2. Much more versatile and easier to deal with problems IMHO.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 02:21 PM   #6

Mine is an FW but according to the floor plan drawings the converter seems to be in the same location as yours. There is a handy void behind the converter which is under the range and a drawer. I installed my EMS there with Velcro and twist lock electrical connectors for easy service. It was a very easy installation and I only had to do it once, not every time I set up camp. There’s no chance that it will get stolen or forgotten either.
xgarys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 02:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgarys View Post
Mine is an FW but according to the floor plan drawings the converter seems to be in the same location as yours. There is a handy void behind the converter which is under the range and a drawer. I installed my EMS there with Velcro and twist lock electrical connectors for easy service. It was a very easy installation and I only had to do it once, not every time I set up camp. There’s no chance that it will get stolen or forgotten either.
That's where I put mine also. Another advantage of the hardwired is it comes with a remote monitor that can be mounted inside for easy monitoring.
Be aware that this location is downstream of the transfer switch (at least on the FW), that was my preference so as to have protection in the unlikely event something goes wrong with the generator. Others prefer it upstream of the transfer switch so you get some protection in case the transfer switch goes awry. Pros and cons and personal preference.
Old 04-28-2019, 05:17 PM   #8
Dynamax Istata 3 RW

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjeff44 View Post
Has anyone installed a hardwired surge protector in Isata 3 cb. Any tips or tricks? If I capture shore power at entry do I have to disconnect the shore batteries?

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Jeff
I have used the Progressive portable for 2 years camping 6 months solid each year in state parks and private campgrounds. Hasn't been stolen and takes seconds to plug in with no installation required. I guess if someone steals it they must really need it.
gbatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 07:51 PM   #9

I use the new southwire portable 50 amp with wireless remote display. I have a long security cable I padlock to the unit and inside the electrical locker. If that gets stolen they must really need it. I looked at hardwire and just decide it was easier to go portable. Works fine
Motorhome1 is offline   Reply With Quote