Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2017, 09:06 AM   #41

Thanks everyone for your great feedback. I plan to put on the Sumo springs front and back also and deal with the plus and minuses. I' also plan to change the rear shocks at first but wait in the front . Some folks have used Bilstein shocks and some used Koni. Does anyone have a comparison on the Iasata 3? I've seen comparisons on bigger rigs but I believe the results will vary with underloaded and underloaded suspension (as the Isata 3). Anyone using the b4 original equipment Bilstein vs the b6 4600 Heavy duty Bilstein and have a comparison? I'd like to get it right the first time.
ddemoret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 04:14 PM   #42

When we got our new 2017 Isata 3 from the dealer, MH only had 50 psi in each of the tires. We changed the tire pressure to 61 psi as recommended on the door. Just ordered Sumo Springs front and rear. Believe it or not Amazon was the least expensive with prime shipping. We'll let you know if handling has improved after installation. Next with be the shocks, if necessary!
mistysky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:07 PM   #43

That is my plan too. Starting with the Sumo springs when my Isata 3 comes in about 2-3 weeks. Just need a little help picking out the best shocks
Old 08-28-2017, 08:27 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistysky View Post
We just went out our first trip with our new 2017 Isata 3. Very disappointed with the side to side sway. Difficulty driving on highway over 60 mph. Any wind or truck traffic passing makes it uncomfortable to drive. We have the Hellwig Sway Bar installed at the factory. It's not doing the job. Following your thread. Interested in upgrading the suspension to try to correct the problem. Researching Sumo Springs front and rear. From what I gather, we must have the Sprinter 3500 and not the 2500. No markings on the vehicle. I think we have the 2 inch blocks on the rear and if I'm understanding this correctly we would need the Solo application, not the Maxim.
Part #SSR 338-47 rear and SSF 106-40 front. Please share any experiences positive or negative. Looking for advise! Thanks
Mistysky,

Be sure your motorhome does not suffer from the "tail wagging the dog" phenomena. That is, the coach is swaying on the rear axle due to play in the connection. The result is a need to constantly correct steering. If it is a problem, you should fix that problem first. See Tail Wagging the Dog | Henderson's Line-Up Brake & RV Inc.
Thebackpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:37 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Just drove a unit today with Bilsteins and it did make a nice improvement.

My question would be...has anyone done just the Bilsteins and not the Sumo springs?

We already do the helwig sway bar for sway. I think the Bilsteins reduce that even further, so I would contemplate the Bilsteins as standard. If I had to do Bilsteins AND Sumo's I would probably have to option that.
Let us know what you're going to do when you can. I plan to do Sumos or Bilsteins after market, but would rather have the factory do them.

I really like BC's idea of seeing which does more, shocks or Sumos. A previous post said that the Sumos made the road joints rougher. Shocks + the Hellwig might be the bestest for the leastest.

Dave
caswelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:38 PM   #46

I talked to a mechanic at my local Ford fleet - RV repair and he says he pulls more Sumos off than he installs. He said customers complain it's too stiff of a ride. I was disappointed to hear that response.
ASloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 02:08 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulTNaples View Post
I did the sumos front and rear, as well as the bilsteins front and rear. In for a penny, in for a pound! Bought the parts online. Approx 1100. 590 for the install at Certified Diesel in Naples. That included a front end alignment and checking the rear alignment too. " She who must be obeyed" gave two thumbs up. [emoji41][emoji41]
Hey Paul, did the mechanic have to adjust the front or rear end alignment? Did he say just how much it was out?

Just curious if the alignment needs to be checked once the "hotel" is built onto the chassis.

Dave
Old 08-29-2017, 06:24 AM   #48

Most Sprinter folks have no problems with either "ride or handling".

If I were concerned having the front and rear alignment checked would be First Stop. .
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:59 AM   #49

Quote:
Just drove a unit today with Bilsteins and it did make a nice improvement.

My question would be...has anyone done just the Bilsteins and not the Sumo springs?

We already do the helwig sway bar for sway. I think the Bilsteins reduce that even further, so I would contemplate the Bilsteins as standard. If I had to do Bilsteins AND Sumo's I would probably have to option that.
I have one on order, is that an option yet?
JohnPavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:05 AM   #50
Commercial Member

not at this time.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:08 AM   #51

I don't know how many Sprinter folks have problems with handling and/or ride. But for those that do, we are exploring ways to improve it. I assume that owners of Sprinter vans that have not been modified tend to be quite happy with handling and ride. But those that have been turned into motor homes must ride/handle differently. And different models and units from different manufacturers probably all handle/ride somewhat differently. Hard to believe that an Isata 3 with a full slide rides the same as a Sprinter based MH with no slides. Before making costly changes, I think that tire pressure and alignment should be checked. I think that Sprinters leave the factory after being aligned; but after the coach is added and the units are driven to dealers, there is a good chance the alignment needs to again be checked. If the ride/handling is still not to the owners liking, the search for a cure starts. I think I read on the forum that Dynamax may add different shocks as a standard feature or as an option. This forum is a great resource for those that want to modify their MH in order to enhance handling and/or ride. I do assume that , as with some cars, improved handling may cause a decline in ride comfort; I think that is going to be the trade-off, and a very individual choice.
RolandRevenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:38 AM   #52

I ask that question some time ago to my rep at the factory. The resent answer was no.

I find one if the newer post of "the tail wagging the dog" interesting and potentially something to look at further instead of the Sumo Springs.

I'm still wondering which Model Bilstein shock is being used.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:51 AM   #53
Commercial Member

BIL24-177702

That is the part number for the ones we tested.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:51 AM   #54

Thank you. Your input is always valuable.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:03 AM   #55

Quote:
BIL24-177702

That is the part number for the ones we tested.
Were these rear shocks only?

Dave
Old 08-31-2017, 08:03 AM   #56
Commercial Member

Yes

Old 08-31-2017, 08:38 AM   #57

Yes that part number is for the rear. More importantly is it tells me they used the Bilstein B6 4600 heavy duty series. Your part number may be different depending on the year.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:20 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandRevenger View Post
When we picked up our Isata 3 to drive it home, the ride was very rough; shake,rattle and roll caused a real downer for this new owner. I later checked tire air pressure, and the tires were overinflated by almost ten pounds; the dealer admitted they should have checked them but they report that was how they came from the factory. I reduced pressure to amount listed on door jamb; 62 for all tires. We got a smoother ride. We still have bad handling when there are cross winds or tail winds in the 18 to 24 range. Other class C's pass me as I slow down in order to have better control. Dealer told me to take it to the Sprinter service center; they report that the Sprinter suspension was fine. Any suggestions on how to improve handling when there are what I consider moderate winds? As I stated, other motorhomes in same conditions operate better. I did contact a truck suspension shop; they thought I should see if Sprinter shop could suggest upgraded shocks. Hesitant to return since they saw no problem. Anyone make modifications that improved handling? Has Dynmax 'tweaked' the suspension in the past year? Thanks.
MODIFICATIONS FOR HANDING: Best thing I did for my 33ft motor home class C on a 2016 E 450 Ford chassis was installing Roadmaster heavy duty anti sway bars, both front and back. Drove it West/Southwest United States this summer about 4300 miles and it is the best suspension upgrade I have ever made to a vehicle. Cost was around $1100.00 for both. Biggest improvement was while on the Interstates, didn't get shoved around when the semi trucks passed and big improvement in handing when encountered side winds. Another company to check would be Hellwig Co suspension products.
dwjonesrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:00 PM   #59

Update on improve handling on our new 2017 Isata 3. Just installed the Sumo Springs front and rear. Huge, huge difference in improved handling! Night and day. Now the only thing we need to do is get the wheels balanced and check the alignment, slight shimmy at 65 mph which was there before installation.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:03 PM   #60

Thanks Milkman 55 for the advise. Sumo Springs really work!