Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2017, 04:57 PM   #1

Isata 3 leaking shower; walls not caulked at pan

Water on bathroom floor; confirmed that the drain and pump are not the culprits. The shower walls are not caulked where they meet the shower floor pan. Probably a good quarter inch behind the shower wall and floor pan lip. When you look at it, you don't see a gap. But you can push the wall in until it hits the lip of the pan or the wood uprights. Seems like an obvious mistake at the factory, but then I was wondering if they are installed that way on purpose. Allows flexing? Anyone else know if their shower walls are caulked at pan area? Suggestions on type of caulk or adhesive to use?

On a side note, I was bummed to see that luan was used to make the panel that allows access to the pump. It is currently drying out. Azdel used in side walls only, per their web site. Too bad it is not used in any area near water; the bathroom wall between the shower and bathroom door is no longer attached wood; I assume the staples pulled out when some water got on the wood.
RolandRevenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 05:05 PM   #2

Isata 3 leaking shower; walls not caulked at pan

Pretty sure there suppose to be like that. I have read lots about that and mine is not sealed on bottom either. I have travel trailer but suspect most construction is similar.
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:51 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Designed that way. The pan, extends up about 2" from what you see..so water would have to go UP 2" to get over the pan lip. I took a picture of this and posed on another thread. I'll see if I can track it down.

And yes, no adel...it won't hold staples. Can only be laminated.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:14 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Here is the picture. The shower door, normally mounts right where that notch starts to angle down. IF, the shower door is installed too far forward, there could be a spot where the water runs along the lip of the shower panel and gets down at that point. I posted this picture out in the plant and they are caulking that spot before they put the shower door in...but maybe your unit was built before that. If the shower door gets installed in the correct spot..the water hits the door and is directed into the pan so it doesn't need caulked at that point. But this should give you a better idea of (A) how the lip goes up behind the pan and (B) what might explain the leak if the P-trap/drain are not leaking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shower Pan.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	377.2 KB
ID:	138911  

Old 05-24-2017, 11:57 AM   #5

Thanks to all for the quick responses. The photo really helped. I will use clear silicone caulk on the bottom right corner (as you face the shower looking into it). When the access panel was removed, I could see wet wood from top to bottom of the right side of it, on the back, in the area pictured. I thought water was running along the horizontal section of the pan lip. To confirm: it is okay for the wall to bow out about 3/8 of an inch in the center of the walls? It is only snug against the wall in the corners.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:37 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Yes...to keep things light, we use 1x's for interior wall framing Those can certainly bow a bit. Either that or the paneling has come loose in the "field area" and is only stapled in at the top and bottom. Rare, but if pressure is set too high they can pull through. Exterior walls are all laminated.

Old 05-24-2017, 01:13 PM   #7

I was not clear enough; sorry. I was talking about the shower walls; they are bowed away from the top of the floor pan. They are tight against the wall in the corners but all three shower walls bow out at the bottom, right where they meet the shower floor pan. You can push them in, at the center of each lower shower wall, at least 3/8 of an inch. I wonder if water is splashing up on the horizontal portion of the shower floor lip and running out the front area of the shower?
Old 05-24-2017, 01:22 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Shouldn't be an issue. Those walls are also sort of molded with some depth to them. If the corner sealant doesn't stop it, you can always add the plastic rivets at the bottom edge that would hold it tighter. We use those at the tops now just because people had concerns about water spraying UP and getting behind the shower panels.

Old 05-25-2017, 11:17 AM   #9

My walls on my Solera shower pan also have a gap. I had them caulked. I've noticed that they are beginning to pull away again. I'm guessing that it being a home on wheels there is just alot of movenent; bumps in road and leveling jacks that can make things loose or shift. On occasion my corner bathroom door handle will get stuck for no reason. I assume the wall shifted and I have to grab a knife to pick the lock. Once I got locked inside.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:16 PM   #10

Our shower was leaking from day one. It turned out to be the drain. Are you sure that is not it? It was a bitch to get in there to tighten it. I had to ask my wife to crawl in there with her smaller hands to tighten it from underneath.
Maybe there is an easier way to get it there, but we finally got it to stop.
mlyamkaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:43 PM   #11

Leak fixed.... we hope

Mlyamkaw, the first shower leak was due to the drain, but we had the dealer fix it. (and it sounds like I should be very grateful that I didn't have to work on it) The newest leak was right in the area shown in the picture posted by bclemens; the shower door frame, right in the corner where it meets the pan and shower wall, needed a small amount of caulk. I removed a couple inches of factory caulk and then laid down the new caulk, a little thicker than they did. I think the leak was intermittent due to the rig being less level at times; those two stabilizers mounted by the rear axle lift the rear up just enough to cause a tilt if I don't catch it before chocking the wheels and extending the slide. Leveling it manually is a challenge. I do plan on caulking around the top of the shower where the shower wall ends; if the shower head is in the more upright mounting hole water can get up there. It passed the test this weekend, and we will be testing it again this coming weekend.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:41 PM   #12

MORE caulk

Shower leaked again; removed front lower panel, turned the shower full blast, closed the door... not leaks. Not the pump, the drain, or any pipes as fare as I could tell. I had my wife turn off pump, I turned the shower head toward the door, let her rip, and a surprisingly large amount of water streamed out of the very area I had caulked; lower front right area. (see previously posted picture) Where the shower pan lip has an angle cut, most of the cut out area is exposed right next to the door frame. I will be more aggressive with the caulk (after removing the stuff there) and actually build it out to form a 45 degree slant away from the corner. Wish me luck.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:55 PM   #13

ours leaked bad as well.

I found the best use of silicon was from the outside of the door - there is void where the wall meets the shower pan section - you have to get some silicon up in there and then it stays dry. I also ran a bead along the floor and the wall all the way to the bathroom door.
slimetime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caulk, leak, show, shower