Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2018, 02:43 PM   #1

Isata 3 obnoxious noises

Some obnoxious and annoying sounds have developed in our 2019 Isata 3 FW non-overhead bunk model.
We picked up our new coach mid May and took a 7500 mile trip from California to the East Coast and back. The motorhome worked great and we love it. It now has a little over 10 k miles. When we got back it sat for about 3 months without use. When we drove it back to Arizona we immediately heard a very annoying rattling sound coming from directly above the drivers head. It occurs on smooth or rough roads at highway speeds only. When the coach is impacted by a fairly strong left to right cross wind the rattle sound goes away completely. Also, if you push up on the small flat panel directly above the drivers head you can pretty much make it stop. This is something new which started up after our trip when the coach sat for a time without use. It is definitely not something loose in the cabinet.

In addition to this there is another noise that the coach has had from the start. I originally thought it might be normal and coming from the nylon rollers supporting the slide-out. This sounds like a can of soup rolling around and banging against the sides of a lower cabinet. It occurs at low speed when the coach rolls over unlevel ground and rocks back and forth. From what I've read I now realize this might be a loose stabilizer bar.

I have an appointment to take it in to the local dealer in a few weeks to fix it but would love to do it myself and avoid taking it in.
Clark Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 04:33 PM   #2

I don't know about the I3 but I have an I5 and had a similar noise above the driver's head. I took the upholstered panels off the face of the overhead bed and was able to get into the nose cone area where I found a piece of sheet metal that was rubbing on the framework. I was able to put a couple of self tapping screws in it and haven't heard the noise since.

Is the other noise possibly the counter top extension? We get that sometimes too. Now I just slow down turning corners to the right....
Old 10-15-2018, 12:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Miller View Post
Some obnoxious and annoying sounds have developed in our 2019 Isata 3 FW non-overhead bunk model.
We picked up our new coach mid May and took a 7500 mile trip from California to the East Coast and back. The motorhome worked great and we love it. It now has a little over 10 k miles. When we got back it sat for about 3 months without use. When we drove it back to Arizona we immediately heard a very annoying rattling sound coming from directly above the drivers head. It occurs on smooth or rough roads at highway speeds only. When the coach is impacted by a fairly strong left to right cross wind the rattle sound goes away completely. Also, if you push up on the small flat panel directly above the drivers head you can pretty much make it stop. This is something new which started up after our trip when the coach sat for a time without use. It is definitely not something loose in the cabinet.

In addition to this there is another noise that the coach has had from the start. I originally thought it might be normal and coming from the nylon rollers supporting the slide-out. This sounds like a can of soup rolling around and banging against the sides of a lower cabinet. It occurs at low speed when the coach rolls over unlevel ground and rocks back and forth. From what I've read I now realize this might be a loose stabilizer bar.

I have an appointment to take it in to the local dealer in a few weeks to fix it but would love to do it myself and avoid taking it in.
I also have a 2019 ISATA 3 FW with no cabover. I have the second noise that you describe as well. It has been present since I took possession of the Coach. I inspected the Helwig Anti-sway bar, and although it wasn't torqued to specs, it wasn''t loose. If you figure out what is causing that "rolling banging sound" that occurs as the coach rocks at low speeds, please let me know. It is very annoying and troublesome. Thanks.
Barch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:25 PM   #4

I would be happy to share what the fix is for both problems.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:32 PM   #5

We have a 2018 3 FW and it had the same loud noise at low speed turns. Dealer tried several time to hear it but it never occurred for them. Then when they were moving the RV on the lot they heard it. They couldn't find anything wrong but tightened up the front suspension. Never heard the noise again.
NearDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:52 PM   #6

We drive a MBS based 2017 Forest River SunSeeker that came with the Hellwig anti-sway bar much like your I-3. From the beginning we got a clunking/knocking sound whenever we got to rocking at slow speed going in a driveway or over a rough road. At the “A” service I asked that the sway bar mounting bolts be checked, and was told all was ok. We just got our “B” service, and I mentioned the issue to the service manager at a new shop we are trying out. He told me that they installed a lot of Hellwig bars on Sprinter work vans, and that they come from Hellwig with their own mounting brackets. Although the OEM MB bar brackets will work with the Hellwigs, there is a slight English/Metric difference between OEM and Hellwig that causes the clunk. For about $100 they modified the OEM brackets (drilled them out slightly, I think) and used the Helwig bolts, which eliminated the noise. There must one big box of Hellwig mounting brackets at the factory!

One less thing to hear and worry about!
Old 10-18-2018, 10:17 PM   #7

Very useful information. Thank you! It sounds like the mounting brackets for the Helwig may be the problem. Now I just need to find someone that can fix it.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:22 PM   #8

Hey, Brian Clemens, are you monitoring this thread? I’m bring my Isata in on the 1st to get this taken care of. Do you agree with this solution. If so, can the local dealer get the necessary parts so I don’t have to bring it in again. Or, just send them to me. Thanks
Old 10-18-2018, 11:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Miller View Post
Hey, Brian Clemens, are you monitoring this thread? I’m bring my Isata in on the 1st to get this taken care of. Do you agree with this solution. If so, can the local dealer get the necessary parts so I don’t have to bring it in again. Or, just send them to me. Thanks
X2
Old 10-19-2018, 07:59 AM   #10
Commercial Member

I do not think that is the issue.

1. We use the Helwig mounts. In fact, it was my guys, that actually informed Helwig (as I recall) that they also should be sending fasteners as well. The bolts in the OEM sway bar are not supposed to be re-used...based on the type of fastener they were. (that one was over my head).

2. We have heard the issue and have re-torqued some and it goes away.

3. It can also be caused by variations in the brackets/bar. There is a little slop and a washer is called for. But our guys have been installing the washer as well.

But all of this is a good place to start...
Check torque
Check mounting brackets
Check washer
cross fingers
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 135007254 Installation.pdf (1.21 MB, 28 views)

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise