Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2020, 04:02 PM   #1

Isata 3 or melbourne prestige

Greetings,

We are going to be selling/trading our '17Heritage Glen 35ft and getting a smaller class C. Will also be selling our 2019 F-250 diesel with 3000 miles. I've done some research and the two look very comparable. Does anyone have any personal experience/regrets on buying one of these units? I realize that this is a FR forum so I'm only expecting comments regarding the Isata.

Thanks in advance!!
udflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 04:25 PM   #2
Commercial Member

I'm not sure how comparable.

At last check, the Melbourne Prestige did not have all the chassis upgrades. From what I understand, they are going to start buying it that way, but the current one did not. That will take the price up (if it does not have the MBUX today) another $8-9k.

They do not use solid surface counters with undermount sink (they are a thermoformed with a top mount sink)

Smaller fridge, smaller LP tank.

I did not see a heat pump listed for the A/C and I did not see what water heater they were using. I know at one time they had the Truma on some things....but the cost proved too high, so they dropped it.

Aluminum wheels look standard though.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by udflyer View Post
Greetings,

We are going to be selling/trading our '17Heritage Glen 35ft and getting a smaller class C. Will also be selling our 2019 F-250 diesel with 3000 miles. I've done some research and the two look very comparable. Does anyone have any personal experience/regrets on buying one of these units? I realize that this is a FR forum so I'm only expecting comments regarding the Isata.

Thanks in advance!!
My two cents, stay away from the Sprinter-base. They are all on the brink of full load.
Magnatudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:09 PM   #4

I'd be willing to bet you will not have the same access to the GM at Jayco as you do to the one at Dynamax.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:57 AM   #5

We looked extensively and compared several makes and models before deciding on our used 2019 Isata 3. It's such a tough industry with manufacturers all vying for our dollars and trying to stay profitable at the same time. So be realistic when you start looking and understand that these smaller MH's all have their limitations. The Sprinter is good for their engine and transmission. The cab is entirely underwhelming and lacks even a proper cup holder, and the weight limitations, while very livable, can be a shock to others. There's no doubt that Dynamax leads the class, but you'll find 3/4" screws blasted thru 3/16" plywood everywhere with crookedly mounted cover plates and heater vents with little recourse. I've been trying for a year just to clean up the mess made by all the putty used for poor fitting trim and pin nail holes on my slide-out trim. It's some of the absolute worst craftsmanship I've ever seen in my life, but yet I saw it in every brand we researched. This forum, and all the great help afforded here from members and some great FR leaders, is absolutely fantastic, and would tip the scales down the road if we were to purchase another.
Riverbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:12 AM   #6
Commercial Member

As for Weight: We just had a fully loaded 24FW cross with 900lbs of CCC. That did not have the cab-over....but, as before we can get you over 1000 if you wanted it.

As for Cab: Riverbend, you bought too early. The new 2019 Mercedes dash is awesome...so, don't crush the whole line based on a used purchase of the 18 chassis...it was underwhelming, but I am very pleased with the upgrades. The new one has (10) TEN cupholders. Steering wheel controls, 10" screen, voice control, etc.

Old 05-27-2020, 10:15 AM   #7

I agree with Brian. I am still learning my Isata 3FW, but the cab has a lot of upgrades from what I have seen in the past. And yes there are plenty of cup holders.
Hardhead417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:23 AM   #8
Commercial Member

I will admit....some of the cupholders can only be used for certain things. Corporate cut out that section of the video, but it dawned on me that the smaller, skinny cupholders were the perfect size for "White Claws". Even though we put an asterisk to not drink and drive...they did not like my reference. It was funny though.

Old 05-27-2020, 11:20 AM   #9

I think “White Claw” refers to the grip on the steering wheel
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 12:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
As for Weight: We just had a fully loaded 24FW cross with 900lbs of CCC. That did not have the cab-over....but, as before we can get you over 1000 if you wanted it.

As for Cab: Riverbend, you bought too early. The new 2019 Mercedes dash is awesome...so, don't crush the whole line based on a used purchase of the 18 chassis...it was underwhelming, but I am very pleased with the upgrades. The new one has (10) TEN cupholders. Steering wheel controls, 10" screen, voice control, etc.
Message well taken, and it was not my intention to crush the whole line. The chassis we bought was what was available at the time. Maybe in a few years I'll look at the newer chassis, and I especially like the upcoming LiFePo option, although my do-it-yourself lithium project was lots of fun, and very educational. But the plan is to keep driving right past the showrooms for now...I hope.
Riverbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 12:57 PM   #11

The new 2019 MB chassis is amazing! I drove a MB 2016 with the lack luster cab for 3 years & it was OK, but the new upgrade makes driving the MB actually enjoyable! Good job MB!
petrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 02:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbend View Post
The Sprinter is good for their engine and transmission. The cab is entirely underwhelming and lacks even a proper cup holder, and the weight limitations, while very livable, can be a shock to others. There's no doubt that Dynamax leads the class

By the way the new Mercedes-Benz sprinter chassis has been updated and now one of the many improvements is now you get 10( yes 10)cup holders in the front cab now!
RVersLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 03:47 PM   #13

I have the 2019 Isata 24FW and first started with an overhead bunk and couch floorplan. After our first trip we decided we bought too soon so we consigned it and special ordered the 2019 24FW with the two lounger chairs and Entertainment Center. Great comfort and plenty of cupboard storage up front. Our special order included two galley drawers which are now offered on newer models. We also added a second power outlet in the galley.
(Unfortunately, hubby passed last year and I am hanging up my RV keys. I cannot post for sale info here but send me a private message for a photo album link.)

Make sure you check for RECALLS. I had to have full wall slide mechanism replaced while traveling in Arizona.Recall said the slide could have activated on its own. Not what you want when traveling!
Coolrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:13 PM   #14

Isata or Melbourne

I wanted to thank everyone for their comments regarding this purchase. After reviewing the LP tank size and refrigerator size I'm definitely going with the Isata 3. It also seems like it has an advantage with the suspension components. However, I wish Dynamax would take a look at the cabinetry of the Melbourne Prestige and consider a possible upgrade down the road.
udflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:40 PM   #15

Quote:
I wanted to thank everyone for their comments regarding this purchase. After reviewing the LP tank size and refrigerator size I'm definitely going with the Isata 3. It also seems like it has an advantage with the suspension components. However, I wish Dynamax would take a look at the cabinetry of the Melbourne Prestige and consider a possible upgrade down the road.

One thing no one mentioned, the awning on the isata 3 is way better. The Dynamax one is 2 feet longer and it dips down 1/2 way. The Melbourne goes straight out. I really love the awning!
Click image for larger version

Name:	F400A5E8-4DBC-4163-A10F-546013E37E3F.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	342.5 KB
ID:	230032
RVersLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 06:03 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Quote:
its not so much an upgrade as it is just a different look. They actually use a wrapped/laminate cabinet wood and vinyl wrapped stiles and we use real, solid cherry wood cabinets and frames. Just more traditional in appearance.

Old 05-27-2020, 10:57 PM   #17

A whole 900 lbs of CCC disappears fast . Just add 2 adults, load the frig, fill the water tank, essentials in the closet, pots, pans, coffee maker, a few rugs, kitchen utensils, and then wonder if you have any margin or space for a BBQ grill, tools, chairs, whatever else … and off you go for a road slamming ride. But you have lots of cupholders, a cool dashboard, and first class Mercedes service prices.

Magnatudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:46 AM   #18

Quote:
I dont knowing if you’re referring to looks or functionality with your cabinetry comment. A significant reason we did not buy an ISATA 3 or 4 was that the Dynamax models generally had fewer cabinets, fewer drawers, and less useful cabinet sizes/interiors than the competition. Maybe this does not matter to you, but you may want to compare cabinetry functionality and determine if it will meet your storage needs.
Old 05-28-2020, 01:08 PM   #19

I didn't see what floor plan the OP was looking for. If considering a full wall slide plan, they may want to consider the Forester 2401B or Sunseeker 2400B models. The entire rear wall section near the bed on those models is utilized for a closet/dresser, instead of just for a window as on the ISATA3 24FW. Effectively using all of the available wall space seems important for getting the most from a small coach.

As mentioned already in the thread, don't overlook the cargo capacity limitations of the Sprinter 3500 chassis.
Old 05-28-2020, 01:22 PM   #20
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
I didn't see what floor plan the OP was looking for. If considering a full wall slide plan, they may want to consider the Forester 2401B or Sunseeker 2400B models. The entire rear wall section near the bed on those models is utilized for a closet/dresser, instead of just for a window as on the ISATA3 24FW. Effectively using all of the available wall space seems important for getting the most from a small coach.

As mentioned already in the thread, don't overlook the cargo capacity limitations of the Sprinter 3500 chassis.
Just remember...the 2400B is 25'-5", the 24FW is 24'-7". So almost a foot shorter.

So I would not necessary say it is an effective use of the space, as much as they are just adding more space.

Personally, on the "rear wardrobe" set ups, I find it a little tough when the wife and I are trying to get ready at the same time. Not a dealer breaker in my mind and it doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen and something to think about.