Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2021, 09:53 AM   #1

Isata 3 - Skid Pad Location in Rear of Coach

FYI Only

I always try and exit steep driveways on an angle to avoid scraping the backend. That said I had no choice the other day when leaving a steep driveway due to traffic. Heard a big scrape and made a mental note to take a look underneath when convenient.

Just climbed under the rear of the coach and noticed that the skid pads have never been scraped. That said, the low point in the back appears to be the metal bracket for the trailer plug.

The bottom of the bracket was scraped and bent back slightly and the forward most part of the plastic trailer plug was also scraped as well.

Ours is a 2017 so this issue may have already been rectified, but if not DYNAMAX may want to lower the skid pad brackets or change the position of the trailer hitch plug bracket. My 2 cents only.

Thanks…
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	589CACA2-EDE4-4933-BF2D-011FA608DE97.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	253.3 KB
ID:	259041  
jneum525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 03:42 PM   #2

My 2019 Isata 3 24FW is similar construction. I've never dragged the trailer plug. My rear auto levelers are much more prone to drag and are definitely the 'low point'!
flighttest1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 04:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flighttest1999 View Post
My 2019 Isata 3 24FW is similar construction. I've never dragged the trailer plug. My rear auto levelers are much more prone to drag and are definitely the 'low point'!
Interesting. I think in '17 the levelers (which we also have) were closer together and closer to the axle so they are definitely not the lowest point for dragging. Thanks for the response.
Old 07-17-2021, 10:13 AM   #4
DBM

This solved the concern

Your concern over the low bracket was one of the first things I changed on my 2019 Isata 3. I feared that a good scraping would damage the plug more than the bracket.

So I removed the plug, sawed off the bracket, and then used the bracket hole as a template to relocate the plug into the rear bumper. It is a bit flimsy plugging the trailer lights into now, but not unmanageable. Dean

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bracket.PNG
Views:	540
Size:	418.2 KB
ID:	259247  
DBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 10:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBM View Post
Your concern over the low bracket was one of the first things I changed on my 2019 Isata 3. I feared that a good scraping would damage the plug more than the bracket.

So I removed the plug, sawed off the bracket, and then used the bracket hole as a template to relocate the plug into the rear bumper. It is a bit flimsy plugging the trailer lights into now, but not unmanageable. Dean

Thanks. I may have to do something similar and yes the plug got a good scraping and lost a good portion of the plastic. Still intact and no breach of wires, but can't afford to be scraped again wo probably having to replace it.

Curious if they changed the placement of the plug bracket or lowered the skid pads on the newer ones.

Brian, any idea?
Thanks again...
Old 07-17-2021, 01:25 PM   #6

My 2016 did the same thing, I moved it in 2016 after it dragged.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Hitch Connector.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	222.5 KB
ID:	259263  
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 03:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneum525 View Post
FYI Only

I always try and exit steep driveways on an angle to avoid scraping the backend. That said I had no choice the other day when leaving a steep driveway due to traffic. Heard a big scrape and made a mental note to take a look underneath when convenient.

Just climbed under the rear of the coach and noticed that the skid pads have never been scraped. That said, the low point in the back appears to be the metal bracket for the trailer plug.

The bottom of the bracket was scraped and bent back slightly and the forward most part of the plastic trailer plug was also scraped as well.

Ours is a 2017 so this issue may have already been rectified, but if not DYNAMAX may want to lower the skid pad brackets or change the position of the trailer hitch plug bracket. My 2 cents only.

Thanks…

Great information and I thank you.

You are being unrealistic if you think they will relocate or make a design change just because it might drag and break. I don't think anyone at dynamax has ever camped a day in their live.

Again thanks for the information.
Old 07-17-2021, 03:37 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by campers302 View Post
You are being unrealistic if you think they will relocate or make a design change just because it might drag and break. I don't think anyone at dynamax has ever camped a day in their live.
Oh boy. You sir win the award for being "most clueless" poster of the year, congrats.

1. My profile picture is literally of me (GM) winter RV'ing (E450).
2. I have several "live through" videos where I walk through a coach with MY STUFF in it, discussing the good and the bad.
3. Below is a video where I took the national sales manager, production manager, engineering manager and myself on a weekend trip to test out different rigs.
4. I recently attended the east coast owners rally/gathering where I spent time in our new europa. About a week and 2000 miles.
5. This is a screen shot of an email I sent today on this very thread. I sent that to my sales manager to review the thread and see if we can copy a better location. He adds it to our "running" product development list that we meet about every two weeks on.
6. I have about 15,000 posts on this forum as I am here, to do EXACTLY what you say is "unrealistic" learning what breaks and making it better.

Reading is free. Not sure how you picked "this" thread to make that comment, but it could not be more off base if you tried.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot 2021-07-17 163021.png
Views:	62
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	259274  

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 03:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by campers302 View Post
Great information and I thank you.

Again thanks for the information.
You must not follow this forum much. The number one reason I bought a Dynamax was due to the support and feedback found here. I've read several posts where a better way of doing something was discussed and brian would mention that they already switched.
NearDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 04:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NearDenver View Post
You must not follow this forum much. The number one reason I bought a Dynamax was due to the support and feedback found here. I've read several posts where a better way of doing something was discussed and brian would mention that they already switched.

x2

That is exactly why I asked the question of Brian about whether or not the trailer plug bracket had already been moved. Almost assumed it probably already had been as I have seen so many similar issues get upgraded in the newer builds after being brought to their attention by folks on this Forum and elsewhere.

Brian,
Thanks for the response to my thread and for passing it along to your staff for a future upgrade.

I wholeheartedly echo what so many others on this forum have said about your participation on this forum helping Dynamax owners (as you have done for me countless times in the year and a half we have owned our 24FW - purchased used I might add) and your company's willingness to listen to the customers and to incorporate changes accordingly.

We have been RV'ing for 40 years and when it came time to get a newer rig, there was only one choice we considered after lots of research. Not just a superior product as compared to everything else we had seen, but support 2nd to NONE...

Thank You!!!
Old 07-18-2021, 07:58 AM   #11
Commercial Member

Quote:
x2

That is exactly why I asked the question of Brian about whether or not the trailer plug bracket had already been moved. Almost assumed it probably already had been as I have seen so many similar issues get upgraded in the newer builds after being brought to their attention by folks on this Forum and elsewhere.
I actually thought we had changed it as well. I know it was brought up, but it might have been on the M2? Either way, its on the list now.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 11:01 AM   #12

Isata 3 - Skid Pad Location in Rear of Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NearDenver View Post

X3

campers302:

I recently had the privilege of upgrading from a 2018 XL to a 2021 XL. Many of the upgrades I am now enjoying, compared to the 2018, are things that are directly related to Brian’s involvement and response to suggestions and owner modifications made on this forum. If you spent 5 minutes actually reading through a few threads this would be obvious, even to someone like yourself who doesn’t own a Dynamax.
BTW, I was at the Dynamax Owners Gathering that Brian attended last month. I personally observed him getting involved with Dynamax owners, listening to their concerns and suggestions as well offering suggestions to improve their ownership experience.
“Breathe in, Breathe out, Move on”
MoJoe1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 02:09 PM   #13

Great idea. Thanks!
BudC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 06:49 PM   #14

Quote:
FYI Only

Thanks…
I believe I brought this issue up back in early 2018.
I bought a 90 degree receptacle bracket, bolted to metal above trailer hitch bar, transferred the receptacle, and die-grinded the weld off the old bracket. Poor location & welded to boot.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180503_153800.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	350.6 KB
ID:	259821   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer Receptacle Bracket.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	259822  
Magnatudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 07:24 PM   #15
hhl

I put a receiver with hitch ball in the hitch. Do not tow. Good reminder to slow down getting out of driveways.
You hear it scrape the pavement.
hhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 07:26 PM   #16
hhl

Here is a picture.Click image for larger version

Name:	20210725_171744.jpeg
Views:	53
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	259824
hhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 10:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhl View Post
I put a receiver with hitch ball in the hitch. Do not tow. Good reminder to slow down getting out of driveways.
You hear it scrape the pavement.

Not sure if you mean slow down before or when it scrapes. Actually I speed up. Also if you hear it scrape DO NOT slow down. Slowing down is not going to help anything. You need to floor the accelerator. If you slow down in such a situation you may (as I did) get hung up!

Keep in mind this is in a dx3 where there is nothing to damage there, so it’s just the hitch rubbing. So speed and momentum is key if you think it might hit!

I have the air lift system with the switch now. I’m careful but if I do hear a scrape start i go go go.

—john
johndjmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 03:33 PM   #18

Quick Follow-up on new Trailer Plug Bracket Location

As others on this string have done, I ended up mounting a new trailer plug bracket to the back MH frame rail above the trailer hitch.

Originally was going to just use the old plug but realized it was damage from scraping it on the ground and also a couple of the holes that hold it in place were Damaged as well. Ended up getting another Hopkins 7 way plug from Amazon. Not much difference in price for getting the plug and the bracket versus just getting the bracket anyway.

https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-48480...8368615&sr=8-3

I was able to drill the holes up into the frame rail using a drill extension and positioning the drill bit up through the hole used for the safety chains on the Driver's side.

All went very smooth, except for the fact that even with having the Auxillary positive (red) wire taped up, I still shorted it somehow and blew a fuse. For future reference, if anyone does the same and blows a fuse for the lights in the back, it can be found in a fuse holder under the driver seat. Got lucky and found it fairly quickly. Picture attached.

The motorhome should be far less susceptible to scraping now when exiting driveways.

Thanks again to all that provided suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A373E0B0-44B1-4530-B09E-D2FB35DCB706.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	257.9 KB
ID:	260553   Click image for larger version

Name:	11FD7F2B-04F1-495D-8D21-EBBA5463AB00.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	202.5 KB
ID:	260554   Click image for larger version

Name:	1AC86F48-0094-4C4E-A479-C84668A37D74.jpg
Views:	48