Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2017, 12:37 PM   #1

Isata 3/ What is the Electronic Stability Package? doesn't seem to work

I have the Isata 3 2016. It has the Electronic Stability Package but I don't know what that is and it doesn't seem to work. I have so much sway on the road I think I'm in a boat. People have suggested upgrading the shocks to the Bilstein shocks, but then somebody said they won't do it due to the Electronic Stability Package. So not sure what to do. Love the unit but hate driving it in winds.
thanks
Larry
tvlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 01:42 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Below is a good description on ESP...its not really a "comfort" feature as much as it is a safety feature.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electr...bility_control

Are you a first time RV'er? I'm never really sure how to follow up with a stability question, because so many people have different expectations. These are RV's and won't handle like a car or SUV, especially in high winds. So I hesitate to say "well that's just the way it is" before I know your background. Because you may actually have an issue or it may actually be "just the way it is". The Sprinter is sprung pretty light...which makes it a very soft, comfortable ride, but that lack of stiffness also allows some sway. The Isata 3 actually comes with an upgraded sway bar that reduces the amount of sway and roll in corners. They will still roll in the corner, but it springs back quickly...without the bar it will go back and forth a bit until it finds center.

First thing I would do is verify tire pressure. That plays a much larger roll in handling and suspension that people think. All 6 tires.

second, make sure the helwig is on there. Its a gray/silver sway bar that follows along the rear axle. The factory bar is just paint black..the Helwig has sort of a "rhino liner" finish.

If all that checks out....then its probably normal. Then if you're still not happy with the ride...you can look at Sumo springs and possibly shocks.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:03 PM   #3

Thanks

Thanks bclemens for the quick response. I see your replys on here to many questions, thanks for the helpfull information.

The ESP isn't what I thought it did at all, good to know.

Ive rented RV's in the past, Usually a ford frame, which I understand is a little wider and the unit wasn't as tall as the Isata. The ride was stiffer and not as much roll.
I checked and I do have the roll bar and I got a GOOD digital air pressure gauge and the tires were low and corrected that and it helped a lot! But I still don't enjoy the ride, so I guess I'm going to install the sumo springs and see how that goes and if needed add the shocks.

Its a great unit, we've had it for just over a year and have 13,000 miles on it and love it.

Thanks for your great info, I read these forums a lot and its been a huge help!

Larry
Old 06-21-2017, 05:43 PM   #4

I added the Sumo springs and Brillstien shocks. WOW! What a major difference in the ride, night and day! It's a real pleasure to drive now.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:19 AM   #5

ESP has to do with the abs and braking system.