Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2019, 03:27 PM   #1

Isata 3 Windshield Cover

I got tired if unrolling and rolling up the foil window covers and found this exterior cover at Sprinter Parts Depot. It hooks on the upper corner of the doors and fits like a glove across the windshield and uses the wipers at the bottom and two magnets by the mirror to hold it in place.

I think keeping the heat out before it ever goes through the glass will be better and the exterior cover took half the time to put in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0C69A63F-F138-4A78-BE9A-904E1EF18F5C.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	271.7 KB
ID:	201817  
Old 04-15-2019, 03:40 PM   #2

I did the same with the Ram Promaster I have, really nice
nolanfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:56 PM   #3
Commercial Member

But don't you still have to un-fold this? and then re-fold this? Or just crumpled it up in an outside storage compartment?

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:03 PM   #4

It comes with a bag, very compact rolled up, much more than the foil panels.

The panels stopped sticking to the glass after a couple of years. Had to wet the suction cups to get them to stick and then left a mark on the window. The center foil panel had to be cut to fit around the rear view mirror (my 2017 has the camera in the rear view mirror). It started tearing where it was cut out.

In two years I have probably unrolled and re-rolled them 100 times and they are pretty worn. We will see how well the exterior holds up to wind.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:15 PM   #5
Old Engineer

I have the same cover, it works well.

Stops the infrared energy before it goes through the glass, no greenhouse effect.

I use it mostly if there is no shade.

FleckDreher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
But don't you still have to un-fold this? and then re-fold this? Or just crumpled it up in an outside storage compartment?
yes
really nicer then the curtain
nolanfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
We fold ours, but it's really easy. Lightweight material that we stuff in the storage compartment.

The advantage is not only can no one see in, but because it is on the outside of the rig the windshield is clean when we take it off in the morning. Ours also has some reflective properties that helps keep the rig cooler in the summer.
Old 04-16-2019, 04:19 PM   #8
AF CMSGT RET

windshield cover info

I have an 2018 ISata 3 and the same rollup reflector came with it so I did the same, bought a outside cover for the front windshield but, lo and behold for 2019 an option was the attached window shades, wow what a difference. I bought and installed them (need 2 persons and read the directions thoroughly) but success and work great, wife operated in a very few minutes and requires no storage. Only caveat is they are expensive. I would hope that the item would be made available for all I's
pickeljr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman55 View Post
I got tired if unrolling and rolling up the foil window covers and found this exterior cover at Sprinter Parts Depot. It hooks on the upper corner of the doors and fits like a glove across the windshield and uses the wipers at the bottom and two magnets by the mirror to hold it in place.

I think keeping the heat out before it ever goes through the glass will be better and the exterior cover took half the time to put in place.
We had one like this when we had our Class C on the Sprinter chassis. We loved it so much, that when we traded motorhomes, we went back to the company and they made one for our Ford chassis. They help keep the heat AND cold out!
Old 04-16-2019, 07:19 PM   #10

Have an 2018 Isata 3 FW. The primary windshield cover is the internal one that comes with the Isata 3. Haven't had problems with this solution for most cases. Secondary, we live in Arizona and based on summer temps have a secondary one as shown previously. This adds heat protection but additional reason to use is the unusual but sometimes hail we get during Monsoons. We travel to Midwest and East coast so we keep the outside protection cover always to ensure hail doesn't ruin a trip. It has worked wonderfully for hail in Minnesota.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:29 PM   #11

I forgot to add that the internal windshield privacy shade is not foil-based and slides back fairly easily within locked mechanisms within the windshield apparatus. This was included for my 2018 Isata3 FW. Sorry if I mistaken the original inquiry for reason to change to outside protection.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman55 View Post
It comes with a bag, very compact rolled up, much more than the foil panels.

The panels stopped sticking to the glass after a couple of years. Had to wet the suction cups to get them to stick and then left a mark on the window. The center foil panel had to be cut to fit around the rear view mirror (my 2017 has the camera in the rear view mirror). It started tearing where it was cut out.

In two years I have probably unrolled and re-rolled them 100 times and they are pretty worn. We will see how well the exterior holds up to wind.
We have both the interior panels and the exterior bra. We had the bra on overnight with 30 + mile an hour wind gusts and it held up and barely shifted. Those magnets are pretty strong & we were impressed.
Ace_Furley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:18 PM   #13
2012 Solera

We also have both for our MBS. Issue with the external is breaking camp in rain or snow. I use the external in the storage yard (keeps the windshield clean), the internal on the road. I also designed a “hood, grill and fenders” cover which I add to the windshield cover in the storage yard. The combo keeps the visible “horizontal surfaces” from collecting grunge.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 12:57 PM   #14

We have one of these outside windshield covers for our 25FW. They do a great job. However, be aware that in windy conditions or after some use, you will notice that the magnets on the doors cause some minor surface scratching of the beautiful paint. This could probably be buffed or waxed out. Maybe some additional fabric protection where magnet contacts cab doors.
Annekem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 01:49 PM   #15

Not sure where you bought your cover, but they are not all the same. I found some for half the price, but the quality concerned me.

The one for Sprinter Depot is marine grade and the magnets are sewn into the material on both sides. No magnets touch the paint. The vinyl is covering the magnet on both sides.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:52 PM   #16

We had one like that for our solara
But we beach camp a lot and the sewed magnets picked up iron filings and scratched up the paint
(Blowing sand)
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 06:16 PM   #17

Milkman55, ours has nice material and the magnets are covered thoroughly. The wind just does it’s work. I only wanted folks to know the potential. I would still prefer the pleated shades like some of the Winnebago coaches have.
Annekem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:37 PM   #18

We have the Remis shades and really like them. There is still a lot of heat getting into the cab and the air conditioner had a tough time keeping up. It also makes a difference which way the RV park has you facing!
wanderer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 05:52 PM   #19

We are on the beach at Port Aransas this week and the first extended use of the windshield cover. It was stormy this week and we had gale force winds in the 30-40 mph range and 5 inches of downpour. The windshield cover stayed in place. I got nervous in the worst of the storm when the RV was rocking and added a Velcro safety stap through the included D ring and through the door handle on both sides. Ended up not needing it because the cover didn’t budge.

Wasn’t planning on such a trial on the first trip, but please it handled the bad weather.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1652DAE7-C2F0-4138-82C9-8D4942311594.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	337.6 KB
ID:	204317  
Old 05-20-2019, 04:23 PM   #20
Bigwave

Isata 3 Windsheild Cover

Nice! We ordered one thanks
bigwave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags