Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2017, 12:11 PM   #1

Isata 4 31DS step clearance

Took delivery of my new Isata 4 31DS 2 weeks ago. Love it. Well built and only a couple of minor "loose end" things to correct which were taken care very quickly by Dynamax. Great service.

I stayed near the dealer the first night and checked it all out. Got familiar with the rig and couldn't be happier. Drove it the 100 miles or so home and when I went to turn in my driveway I heard something drag. My drive is off of a curve on a state paved highway and there is a small crest. The retractable entry step hit the pavement, no damage. Then when I went to put it in my pole barn the step would not clear the transition from the drive to the building. It is a gravel drive with a very small incline. I had to build the rock up to get it to clear and then it only clears by less than an inch. The exhaust for the generator is only slightly higher.

I forsee issues clearing other terrain such as speed bumps or other inclines. Anyone else had an issue like this?

Thanks
FT58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:49 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Therein lies the catch 22.

At Sunseeker we dropped the step well down a bit within the sidewall and did NOT have a power step. We would often get complaints that the first step was too high. Typically 12" or so. A normal step ratio is 7/11. 11" of run for a 7" step height and the body can sense as little as a 1/2" change in that pattern...weirdly.

So we wanted to have the electric step which makes that first step so much better...problem is, this is the lightest, lowest profile step we can get. So while that first step is perfect...it does reduce ground clearance.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:05 PM   #3

Thanks. The first step inside the coach sits low enough that you almost don't even need the retractable step. It is lower than the first step was on my retractable step on my Itasca that I recently sold. Will see what happens. I think it is going to be an issue. But it's a very nice machine, you all did great!
Old 08-12-2017, 08:53 PM   #4
Commercial Member

We weren't sure if we left it off, for you to install if you have to have it, or put it on so you can take it off if you want. flip a coin.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:34 AM   #5

Regardless of what you had done or offered someone would complain! Can't please everyone.

I did use the coach again this weekend and it drug the ground on us at least 3 times.

If I remove the step assembly will this cause any computer issues or faults? Any warranty issues?

Thanks
Old 08-13-2017, 10:15 PM   #6

Mine hit also today twice
I was pulling into a parking lot

Thankfully it stayed on
Being disable it's perfect height

Just going to have to watch where I go a bit more intensely
kentuckianjr is offline   Reply With Quote