Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2022, 06:13 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Boat View Post
The entrance door has 22” clearance. Not going out the windshield on a Ram. If it doesn’t fit the entrance door, then has to go out the slide.

The Dynamax site shows three belts on the 28ss couch in the floor plan, which I presume is accurate.

Looks like the 12V wiring is at least 16 gauge, but you are directly over the fuse panel, so new wiring would be the easiest part of the upgrade, if required.
It'd be more of a PITA (since it'd prob involve removing the front seats too) but why wouldn't the windshield be an option? I know that's usually a Class A thing, but it still looks like the windshield is a bigger opening than the door. It'd be a freaking nightmare to do... but perhaps possible.

Bummer the door is only 22"... that Norcold is apparently 59-7/8 x 23-1/2 x 24. Now, I assume that's with the doors on it, so perhaps it could make it with the doors removed (though the hinge and top panel might mean it doesn't actually reduce the depth).

EDIT: 59-7/8 x 23-1/2 x 24 is the "cutout dimensions" so I'm trying to find a spec on the actual unit dimensions.

-TJ
Old 02-07-2022, 06:35 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjZ06 View Post
It'd be more of a PITA (since it'd prob involve removing the front seats too) but why wouldn't the windshield be an option? I know that's usually a Class A thing, but it still looks like the windshield is a bigger opening than the door. It'd be a freaking nightmare to do... but perhaps possible.

Bummer the door is only 22"... that Norcold is apparently 59-7/8 x 23-1/2 x 24. Now, I assume that's with the doors on it, so perhaps it could make it with the doors removed (though the hinge and top panel might mean it doesn't actually reduce the depth).

EDIT: 59-7/8 x 23-1/2 x 24 is the "cutout dimensions" so I'm trying to find a spec on the actual unit dimensions.

-TJ
Underside of the cab over to bottom of windshield glass is about 20”. And true clearance is prolly less than that, with angle of the dashboard, etc.

Controlling dimension on the entry door is the inner flanges that seat against the door at 22”. This assumes you would dismount the door.

I am discounting the work to completely decaulk and remove the door frame, which might give 26”. This would also impact inner trim, etc., and not sure you could restore it to factory appearance afterwards.
Desert Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 06:43 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Boat View Post
Underside of the cab over to bottom of windshield glass is about 20”. And true clearance is prolly less than that, with angle of the dashboard, etc.

Controlling dimension on the entry door is the inner flanges that seat against the door at 22”. This assumes you would dismount the door.

I am discounting the work to completely decaulk and remove the door frame, which might give 26”. This would also impact inner trim, etc., and not sure you could restore it to factory appearance afterwards.
Great info, thank you. I guess the question is whether it's more or less work to do the work with the door trim than to have the slide removed to bring a fridge in/out that way...

Suuuuuuuuuuure would be nice if they'd just let us pay to have it added at the factory.

-TJ
Old 02-07-2022, 08:34 PM   #24
Commercial Member

We take them through windows depending on floor plan.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 10:00 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
We take them through windows depending on floor plan.
Are you able to speak to why we can't option a compressor unit in the 28SS? Especially with the Xplorer package's battery capacity it just seems like a much better option - and it gives more capacity in the same footprint.

-TJ
Old 02-08-2022, 08:18 AM   #26
Commercial Member

Quote:
Are you able to speak to why we can't option a compressor unit in the 28SS? Especially with the Xplorer package's battery capacity it just seems like a much better option - and it gives more capacity in the same footprint.

-TJ
You can't option a compressor fridge today because we don't offer one.

Part of that is protecting a customer from themselves. A 12V compressor fridge is still a compressor fridge and is still far more power hungry than an absorption fridge. In the past, people would talk about "boondocking" and then not option the absorption fridge, or talk about how important CCC is and then take every "weight adding" option under the sun.

It is true that a 12V compressor fridge will not lose efficiency running through an inverter, but a lot of what salespeople sell you on 12V fridges is snake oil. We are already in the process of testing the "actual" energy draw of a 12V compressor fridge so we are not misleading our customer. So far we have had one last 2 days and one last 5 days (on a single lithium battery) and they both claim to be super efficient. (I am OK with the 5 days, we really just need to make sure it will last over night and have plenty of battery left in the AM)

We will be putting a 12V compressor in a model coming up soon. Once that happens it will likely be available in others once we confirm viability.

Old 02-08-2022, 09:19 AM   #27

I’m curious why so many people complain about absorption refrigerators. I’ve been RVing with them for more than 40 years in 8 different RVs without an issue. They use very little propane and battery power to operate. I’ve never had one fail and they have plenty of space. What’s not to like?
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 10:23 AM   #28

My thought was that it would be very efficient in terms of power use but seeing Brian's commment makes me wonder now about the efficiency claims. They are supposed to be better at maintaining a set temperature inside the box. If I can't get it in the door then it is a no go for me. Not about to take out a window to change something that does work. Brian may have saved me 2500 bucks...
Mike946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 11:37 AM   #29
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike946 View Post
My thought was that it would be very efficient in terms of power use but seeing Brian's commment makes me wonder now about the efficiency claims. They are supposed to be better at maintaining a set temperature inside the box. If I can't get it in the door then it is a no go for me. Not about to take out a window to change something that does work. Brian may have saved me 2500 bucks...
it is more efficient than residential, not as efficient as absorption.

It really depends how much you boondock and if you are prepared for the compromise that might need to take place to camp how you want.

Old 02-08-2022, 12:02 PM   #30

Quote:
You can't option a compressor fridge today because we don't offer one.

Part of that is protecting a customer from themselves. A 12V compressor fridge is still a compressor fridge and is still far more power hungry than an absorption fridge. In the past, people would talk about "boondocking" and then not option the absorption fridge, or talk about how important CCC is and then take every "weight adding" option under the sun.

It is true that a 12V compressor fridge will not lose efficiency running through an inverter, but a lot of what salespeople sell you on 12V fridges is snake oil. We are already in the process of testing the "actual" energy draw of a 12V compressor fridge so we are not misleading our customer. So far we have had one last 2 days and one last 5 days (on a single lithium battery) and they both claim to be super efficient. (I am OK with the 5 days, we really just need to make sure it will last over night and have plenty of battery left in the AM)

We will be putting a 12V compressor in a model coming up soon. Once that happens it will likely be available in others once we confirm viability.
I do understand what you're saying, but with an Xplorer Package unit it seems like it has plenty of battery and solar capacity to allow for a compressor unit. It's going to be a huge expense to do after-the-fact, why no let buyers option it, but inform them of the (potential) drawbacks?

-TJ
Old 02-08-2022, 12:04 PM   #31
Retired

Quote:
it is more efficient than residential, not as efficient as absorption.

It really depends how much you boondock and if you are prepared for the compromise that might need to take place to camp how you want.
Whether or not it's more efficient than absorption depends upon how you look at it. It uses zero LP, so definitely more efficient on LP use. 800 wats of solar (renewable energy) means it will have no problem outlasting water. I know of no way to manufacture LP while boondocking.

But the biggest problem remains functionality. I can understand why someone from the northern states says they never have problems, but in the desert SW where it is over 100 half of the year, absorption fridges do not work even when in an RV park with electricity to run AC. The ice cream starts melting at 85 and the fridge begins warming, making it useless by the time it reaches 95. They really are relegated to storage and an ice chest must be used.

Each person has individual use cases. That's why options are important. My ideal RV would be a 28SS with a functioning fridge. Right now I cannot get one, so I have to look elsewhere.
Tucson Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 12:09 PM   #32
Commercial Member

Quote:
why no let buyers option it, but inform them of the (potential) drawbacks?

-TJ
lol... I wish it were that simple.

Old 02-08-2022, 12:12 PM   #33
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucson Steve View Post
Whether or not it's more efficient than absorption depends upon how you look at it. It uses zero LP, so definitely more efficient on LP use. 800 wats of solar (renewable energy) means it will have no problem outlasting water. I know of no way to manufacture LP while boondocking.

But the biggest problem remains functionality. I can understand why someone from the northern states says they never have problems, but in the desert SW where it is over 100 half of the year, absorption fridges do not work even when in an RV park with electricity to run AC. The ice cream starts melting at 85 and the fridge begins warming, making it useless by the time it reaches 95. They really are relegated to storage and an ice chest must be used.

Each person has individual use cases. That's why options are important. My ideal RV would be a 28SS with a functioning fridge. Right now I cannot get one, so I have to look elsewhere.
That would be true if people from the northern states were forbidden from traveling to the southern states. In most cases, people from the northern states enjoy traveling to southern states.

Personally, I have camped with absorption fridges. I had zero issues keeping ice cream and ice frozen when it was 96 degrees out.

So, if you are melting ice cream at 85, then it is likely an issue with the installation, not the fridge.

Old 02-08-2022, 12:40 PM   #34

Quote:
lol... I wish it were that simple.
Again, I understand where you're coming form, but at the same time that hardly seems like a professional response. I know buyers are fickle, and will be quick to blame the manufacturer for letting them make "bad" choices.

We're talking about 1/4 million plus MSRP rigs, IMHO an absorption fridge doesn't fit in that market. It's not stopping me from buying one, but it is probably the main "downside" I had to come to terms with.

-TJ
Old 02-08-2022, 12:41 PM   #35

Quote:
I had zero issues keeping ice cream and ice frozen when it was 96 degrees out.

So, if you are melting ice cream at 85, then it is likely an issue with the installation, not the fridge.
The issue I've had back when I had absorption fridges (which, to be fair were in trailers not RVs) the issue was keeping frozen things frozen, while not freezing your lettuce, eggs, etc. in the fridge.

-TJ
Old 02-08-2022, 12:42 PM   #36
Retired

Quote:
That would be true if people from the northern states were forbidden from traveling to the southern states. In most cases, people from the northern states enjoy traveling to southern states.

Personally, I have camped with absorption fridges. I had zero issues keeping ice cream and ice frozen when it was 96 degrees out.

Sorry, Im not going to debate your salesman snake oil. (You don't sell what I want so suddenly what you have works--even though it doesn't.) Again, I'll just look elsewhere.
Tucson Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 01:59 PM   #37
Commercial Member

Boy, touchy bunch today.

Just to be clear, I am not here selling anything. I am answering questions...and frankly, it seems this thread has run its course on that note. If someone is looking for me to tell them what they want to hear, my apologies, that is not how I operate. I tell you what I know, what my personal experiences have been (including how I have witnessed others' experiences), as well as what I can do.

I have already explained that we will be putting one in a model coming up soon. Once we are able to verify that it works the way that we expect it to work (and that we are told it will work), I said we would offer it up in other models.

My goal in using a 12V compressor fridge is not as a result of absorption fridge failures, but in my desire to get to single fuel systems thereby eliminating LP altogether. I have used residential and absorption fridges, so I can speak to their pros & cons. I do not have a long enough history with 12V fridges (other than warranty return rates that I have seen from others) so I choose to be more cautious.

Old 02-08-2022, 02:55 PM   #38

Quote:
Boy, touchy bunch today.

Just to be clear, I am not here selling anything. I am answering questions...and frankly, it seems this thread has run its course on that note. If someone is looking for me to tell them what they want to hear, my apologies, that is not how I operate. I tell you what I know, what my personal experiences have been (including how I have witnessed others' experiences), as well as what I can do.

I have already explained that we will be putting one in a model coming up soon. Once we are able to verify that it works the way that we expect it to work (and that we are told it will work), I said we would offer it up in other models.

My goal in using a 12V compressor fridge is not as a result of absorption fridge failures, but in my desire to get to single fuel systems thereby eliminating LP altogether. I have used residential and absorption fridges, so I can speak to their pros & cons. I do not have a long enough history with 12V fridges (other than warranty return rates that I have seen from others) so I choose to be more cautious.
Well said.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 06:10 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucson Steve View Post
Sorry, Im not going to debate your salesman snake oil. (You don't sell what I want so suddenly what you have works--even though it doesn't.) Again, I'll just look elsewhere.
I don’t believe anyone who calls Brian a snake oil salesman belongs in a Dynamax. Brian is the direct opposite, an honest, engaged advocate for the brand and his owners, totally unique in this industry.
Desert Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 07:16 PM   #40

My aim was certainly not to start arguments here. Thanks for all the input so far. I'm still interested in peoples thoughts on dinette/theater seats/couch, but our build is slated for a dinette and I think most of the comments here have reaffirmed my opinion that it's the "way to go" with the 28SS.

As for the fridge thing, it's still a disappointment for me - but we'll live. We're coming out of a big, luxury Class A and we know there are going to be sacrifices we're making "downsizing" - but we're actually very excited about it overall.

-TJ

Tags
dinette, heater