Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2021, 03:09 PM   #1

Isata 5 30 FW Passenger side tire wear

After 16500 miles on the road we started noticing that the passenger side front tire started wearing the middle thread down significantly. Today, while we had the RV in our driveway, I noticed that the RV was leaning noticeably towards the right side. The passenger side rear has about a 3" wheel well gap difference than the driver side rear.

Could that be from a defective shock absorber and causing that front tire wear pattern?
Is that a warranty issue handled by whom?

We just had the RV at our local RAM dealer, for the TPS sensor replacement, and after 5 days in the shop they told us that they can't lift the RV and in such did not install the TPMS sensors. That's a whole other story but obviously to get the rear shock fixed we will have the find another shop.
Click image for larger version

Name:	front tire wear.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	315.9 KB
ID:	263411

Name:	passenger side rear.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	356.6 KB
ID:	263412

Name:	driver side rear.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	368.8 KB
ID:	263413
msusslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 03:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by msusslin View Post
After 16500 miles on the road we started noticing that the passenger side front tire started wearing the middle thread down significantly. Today, while we had the RV in our driveway, I noticed that the RV was leaning noticeably towards the right side. The passenger side rear has about a 3" wheel well gap difference than the driver side rear.

Could that be from a defective shock absorber and causing that front tire wear pattern?
Is that a warranty issue handled by whom?

We just had the RV at our local RAM dealer, for the TPS sensor replacement, and after 5 days in the shop they told us that they can't lift the RV and in such did not install the TPMS sensors. That's a whole other story but obviously to get the rear shock fixed we will have the find another shop.
Attachment 263411

Attachment 263412

Attachment 263413
What, they didnít have a floor Jack?
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 03:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
What, they didnít have a floor Jack?
Nope, and they kept telling us that their best guy was on the job but could not handle the work in a safe manner.
Now we are trying to get the TPMS sensors from them(in stock) to have a tire shop install new tires and the sensors. However there seems to be an issue regarding doing it under warranty. Work in progress.
Old 09-25-2021, 11:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Nope, and they kept telling us that their best guy was on the job but could not handle the work in a safe manner.

Now we are trying to get the TPMS sensors from them(in stock) to have a tire shop install new tires and the sensors. However there seems to be an issue regarding doing it under warranty. Work in progress.
My front shock failed at 4000 miles.
Call Dodge in Detroit and complain. I did that and got a dealer to replace shock and all 6 TPMS without a lift... just jacks.
Old 09-26-2021, 08:40 AM   #5

They donít even need a floor Jack, just lift it with the coach onboard leveling system. My dealer says they canít get the replacement TPMS, all back ordered. Iíve been waiting for 5 months. Hummm. Iíll have to keep an eye on my shocks.
Old 09-26-2021, 09:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshu View Post
My front shock failed at 4000 miles.
Call Dodge in Detroit and complain. I did that and got a dealer to replace shock and all 6 TPMS without a lift... just jacks.
With Jacks to you mean the onboard leveling jacks?

I did not want to tell the dealer to use the leveling jacks as I was not sure they could be used to lift the rear tires off the ground to get changed.

Can the leveling jacks be used safely to get the tires on and off?
Old 09-26-2021, 09:04 AM   #7

Quote:

I did not want to tell the dealer to use the leveling jacks as I was not sure they could be used to lift the rear tires off the ground to get changed.

Yes, the leveling jacks can lift the tires (front and rear) safely off the ground. When I added airbags to the rear suspension that is how I did all the work, using the leveling jacks to get the tires off.
Old 09-26-2021, 04:36 PM   #8

If you lift the back end...

Quote:

If you lift the back end, it's a good idea to chock the front wheels, both in front and back (4 chocks, two per tire), as the parking brake only locks the back wheels.

Usually, shock absorbers provide minimal lift. Their main purpose is to dampen repeated bounces from a single impact--like a door closer on a residential screen door. If you've had a 3" drop, you could have a broken spring or spring mount. You might be able to crawl under and take some photographs.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 06:49 PM   #9
Motorized GM

On early 30FW's, we shimmed the left side up since all the weight was over there (slide, gen, batteries). Depending on how it is loaded, that can change. Shocks were typically not be a warrantable item as no one knows what forces it has been subjected to.
Please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 07:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
On early 30FW's, we shimmed the left side up since all the weight was over there (slide, gen, batteries). Depending on how it is loaded, that can change. Shocks were typically not be a warrantable item as no one knows what forces it has been subjected to.
Thank your for your feedback. Given that this might be a shimming issue, due to weight distribution, would it be normal than that the driver side wheel well will have a larger gap than the opposite side by 3"? For some reason we never saw that on our 7 month trip.

Do you think the front tire wear might be related to that or just the tire might have an issue? At the Western Gathering Bill Davis was taking a look at the tire and thought that it might be a bad inside belt.
Old 09-26-2021, 07:43 PM   #11
Motorized GM

Shimming the left side would raise the body on that side, so yes it might have a larger gap. That is why we shimmed it in the first place…with the gen and full slide it could sag on the driver side. By shimming it, it would help balance the weight. Depending on how it is loaded, the shim might not be necessary.
Please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 07:53 PM   #12

Put 2 good quality rib type tires on the front axle and those wear issues will go away.
FordMastertech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 05:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordMastertech View Post
Put 2 good quality rib type tires on the front axle and those wear issues will go away.
What are good quality rib tires you would recommend?
Old 09-29-2021, 07:22 AM   #14
Norwood Auto Italia

Quote:
As you may have read elsewhere, I have been through the same excellent after sales service from RAM.

Also had the front P/S tire wearing but on the outer tread. Dealer(s) all told me I was on my own with this problem as it was probably alignment and they could not do it. My independent Truck shop could and they found the alignment was way out.

I think Dynamax could get a significant upsell ($$$) by offering to have a laser alignment done as a pre delivery enhancement (like the Kelderman option) and just put it out there that RAM does not deliver chassis to their own alignment specs.

I bet Brian will choke on this (man hours, time off site and resource availability) but I think its necessary. Neither of my Ford 550s had this problem and even after 15,000 in one case and 22,000 in another, did my alignments prove necessary.
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 07:41 AM   #15

I'm not familiar with your specific unit, but the significant lean to one side is indicative of uneven weight distribution, or more likely since it's a new observation, something is broken under that side. You're going to need to find a shop that specializes in heavy equipment, like a truck chassis or spring shop.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 10:11 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvnthedream View Post
They donít even need a floor Jack, just lift it with the coach onboard leveling system. My dealer says they canít get the replacement TPMS, all back ordered. Iíve been waiting for 5 months. Hummm. Iíll have to keep an eye on my shocks.
your dealer didnt try hard enough. Mine was able to get me all 6 in early summer
Old 09-30-2021, 10:14 AM   #17

Quote:

no...floor jack...old school mechanic style

Tags
tire