Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2019, 11:52 AM   #21

Great changes BC and I agree the outside storage would be nice to have and I like the idea of one less compartment to heat when it is 7* outside. One less space heater to buy. And like you say better weight distribution.
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:53 AM   #22

BC, when you can please post the drawing of the propsed mods?
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 12-04-2019, 01:28 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Setup today, is a single door wardrobe and 4 drawers.

Keep the counter and window, I like to think most people buying a rig this large want space in each room. Would be claustrophobic with a huge wardrobe/drawers.
Part of the reason I ordered the 36ds over the 30fw. Besides, wouldn’t that add weight?
No longer mine: 2006 Rockwood Roo 23SS
All pop-up and tent camping before...
mjbenedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 01:30 PM   #24

Brian, can you confirm that NONE of these changes will go into already ordered rigs? Mine has a stated build/delivery of March 2020.
No longer mine: 2006 Rockwood Roo 23SS
All pop-up and tent camping before...
mjbenedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:39 PM   #25
Commercial Member

I cannot confirm that it won't hit some ordered coaches. I can confirm that your coach has already been sent to MORryde for the upfit, so it would not have any of these changes.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:26 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Well, there's good news & bad news. We can probably leave the window and counter and still make that a bit bigger.

But, I think the water under the bed is a done deal. That frees up another outside storage compartment (which you could still put a rubbermade tub with blankets and seasonal clothes). While maybe not ideal...moving the water to the bed base helps us in many other areas. Not only freeze protection but weight balancing and taking weight off of the front axle. So too many pros, and not enough cons.

On the other side...with the sprung dinette. You get access to more of that storage area and instead of being cobbled up with dividers and such, the whole area is free and can accept heavier items as well.
Keeping the window and shelf is a good decision. The 36DS isn't really a full-timers rig anyway so storing a couple weeks (or month) clothing is fairly easy to do with the current above bed cabinets, under bed storage, drawers and ward.
A lower mounted fridge and a little more elbow room in the bathroom would in my opinion score the 36DS an A+...
Not that I'm in the market for another Isata 5 but the water tank under the bed would be a minus for me:
Pros: Less Weight Cons: Less available Boondock time
Some weight off front axle Higher weight center above floor
Weight balancing Balance negated with extra "stuff"
No gravity fill
No way to visually verify water level
Less indoor storage
dbaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 01:54 PM   #27

Hi Brian,

It sounds like the decision has been made to move the fresh water tank to under the bed. Several users, including me, have commented based on our usage, there are more pros than cons to keep the tank where it is. But, it does need improvment in cold weather usage.

A new I5 30ft owner commented accessing the water filter requires removing the entire bed to access.

In the proposed change will the filter and pump be located under the bed? If so, in addition to making it more difficult to change how will it impact winterizing with RV antifreeze? Normally I blow out the water lines before winter storage which requires emptying and removing the water filter. I have added a valve before the pump for RV antifreeze pick up if needed. I have only used it once when traveling home from wintering in the south when the weather turned cold. But it was needed to protect the system as I don't carry a compressor big enough to blow out the lines.

So if it is a done deal on moving the fresh water tank then please design in easy access to water filter and pump for changing and winterizing.

Thanks,

Pat
Old 12-15-2019, 11:15 AM   #28

Any chance you could lose the standard door going into the bedroom, make it a pocket door (or?) with one of those nice new spring door latches and then put another wardrobe to the right side of the existing TV...sort of like what is in the 3801TS and 37TS now?

Having that regular door sure takes up a lot of space on that DS wall as it is set up now. You could also add a Euro style (apartment style is another name) washer/dryer combo on that wall with the newly added space. Or full size, I care not. (If you haven't noticed, I am a big fan of a washer/dryer. Even a very small one for those easy small items like socks, underwear, T-Shirts and shorts. Have you ever seen or thought about what goes into washers and dryers day after day, year after year all over this great country of ours? It will freak your freak.)

Just a thought. My wife came up with that one. She likes constantly redesigning RV floorplans.
Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 08:46 AM   #29
Commercial Member

Not really.
1. On the original DS it was going to be a pocket door...but that takes up space on that side of the bed. You would lose 3-4" trying to get around the bed which is tight already.

2. If you put a wardrobe on the other side of the TV, you lose entry into the bedroom....it would cover the front of your door opening.

On this picture you can sort of see what a washer/dryer would look like in that space.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-12-16 at 8.48.12 A.png
Views:	68
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	220621  

Old 12-16-2019, 09:57 AM   #30

BC, are you installing that new Truma furnace? Does it's size allow the Residential fridge to sit lower down on the floor?
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 12-16-2019, 10:00 AM   #31
Commercial Member

We are not. It is not really sized for a unit this big as i recall. More geared towards a 24FW.

Old 12-17-2019, 01:43 PM   #32
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalenss View Post
Hi Brian,

It sounds like the decision has been made to move the fresh water tank to under the bed. Several users, including me, have commented based on our usage, there are more pros than cons to keep the tank where it is. But, it does need improvment in cold weather usage.

A new I5 30ft owner commented accessing the water filter requires removing the entire bed to access.

In the proposed change will the filter and pump be located under the bed? If so, in addition to making it more difficult to change how will it impact winterizing with RV antifreeze? Normally I blow out the water lines before winter storage which requires emptying and removing the water filter. I have added a valve before the pump for RV antifreeze pick up if needed. I have only used it once when traveling home from wintering in the south when the weather turned cold. But it was needed to protect the system as I don't carry a compressor big enough to blow out the lines.

So if it is a done deal on moving the fresh water tank then please design in easy access to water filter and pump for changing and winterizing.

Thanks,

Pat
1. Pump location will not be under the bed, it will be easily accessible behind a removable panel

2. Water filter will also be behind this same removable panel.

3. 3-way valve is right at the pump intake which is located as mentioned in #1.

Old 12-17-2019, 03:01 PM   #33

Good choice on the access panels for the pump and water filter.

The Thor Magnitude XG32 puts the water storage under the bed now.

To change the water filter, which is also under the bed, is a major PITA and it sits right next to all sorts of electronics, power lines, etc. Not a good choice at all...not even close. For 2021 (or 2020.5) the are indeed moving that water filter location (from my intel).

Winterizing also needs to be done via under the bed. Incredibly bad design. Not sure if that is being redesigned or not. Sure needs to be.

Points being for 36DS:
* Good choice on putting in an access panel for both water filter and pump access.
* Better option to have the water compartment under bed in cold weather usage scenarios.
*Keep the counter and the window
*Guys like me who are sort of germophobic can add a small portable clothes washer in the freed up storage space. Even a small portable dishwasher for those days I want a deep utensil cleaning.
Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 12:05 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalenss View Post
We just received our new 2020 I5. The water filter is under the bed and required removing the whole back top panel off the frame to access. I just cut a small section out of the panel and hinged it to make a small access door over the filter and winterizing hose. Now I just remove two screws without removing the panel.

2020 Isata 5 30FW 4x4
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
TrailWayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 12:28 PM   #35
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailWayz View Post
We just received our new 2020 I5. The water filter is under the bed and required removing the whole back top panel off the frame to access. I just cut a small section out of the panel and hinged it to make a small access door over the filter and winterizing hose. Now I just remove two screws without removing the panel.
It is nice to be handy...makes life so much more enjoyable. Though I have asked engineering to make all of those things accessible WITHOUT removing screws. Access panels should have latches, not screws.