RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 07-06-2020, 04:08 PM   #1

Isata 5 36DS shore power wiring?

Looking for some help regarding wiring on our Isata 5 36DS. Iím looking to add in a hard wired shore power reel so I dont have to drag the 50amp cord around.

Does anyone know how the wiring runs from the power cable receptacle on the side of the coach? Does it go directly from the receptacle to the breaker panel in the bedroom or does it run from the back of the coach to the front where the inverter is?

Iíve tried contacting Dynamax about this and other things but having no luck contacting anyone. Thanks in advance!
CWern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 04:41 PM   #2
Motorized GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWern View Post
Looking for some help regarding wiring on our Isata 5 36DS. Iím looking to add in a hard wired shore power reel so I dont have to drag the 50amp cord around.

Does anyone know how the wiring runs from the power cable receptacle on the side of the coach? Does it go directly from the receptacle to the breaker panel in the bedroom or does it run from the back of the coach to the front where the inverter is?

Iíve tried contacting Dynamax about this and other things but having no luck contacting anyone. Thanks in advance!
Who were you trying to contact?

"power cable receptacle" on what side of the coach? All outlets are inverter except for A/C's.
Please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 04:47 PM   #3

I’ve tried contacting “parts west” for about a month and haven’t gotten a return call. I was assuming y’all may be closed due to covid? I also reached out to service and wasn’t able to reach anyone.

On my coach, I plug in my 50 amp shore power cable on the street side just above the utilities compartment. I am hoping to disconnect that wiring to wire in a shoreline power reel that I will mount in the generator compartment. I’m assuming that wiring comes down from the shore power receptacle and follows the frame to the front of the coach where the transfer switch is located? Or does it run inside the coach?
Old 07-06-2020, 04:53 PM   #4
Motorized GM

It will go to the transfer switch...Why would you tap into that power? That is 110V and there are a BUNCH of less critical cables to tie into, especially when most cord reels I have seen are 12V.

You would have a much easier time taping into a 12V power supply that already exists then trying to tap into the main power cable. Then it only works when on shore power???
Please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
Old 07-06-2020, 05:00 PM   #5

I should have clarified that I want to hardwire in the power reel to supply 50amp service to the transfer switch. This way I only have a single end that I need to plug in at the rv park and I can do away with the bulky power cord supplied with the coach. The power receptacle on the coach would no longer be utilized using this setup. See link below.

https://rvpower.southwire.com/produc...ord-reel-rh54/
Old 07-06-2020, 05:24 PM   #6
...far N Georgia!

I would even look at a simpler and much less expensive route - simply 'hardwire' your shore cord, via a junction box, into your ATS(automatic transfer switch)...

we had the same original 'issue' with our Palazzo - an external 'twist lock' 50amp Shore Cord sidewall connector. It makes no sense that a motorcoach of this size should not already have an internally wired Shore Cord. You only need 10' sometimes, but having to remove the WHOLE cord from wherever you can find to 'store' it makes for some very aggravating and messy moments.

I simply removed my sidewall external 'connector' box and found that the wiring went down to and thru my chassis and over and up into my DEF bay, and into the interior to the ATS thru a 'plumbing chase' of sorts.
I unhooked the Shore Cord wires from the back of the connector box, and pulled the whole cable back thru and into the DEF bay. (I then reattached the sidewall twist-lock connector box back into it's place - a project to use for another time - it's there just as it's always been, nothing looks any different)

Now that I had the 'raw' end of the Shore Cord, I simply used a Heavy Duty junction box, mountable to the interior wall of the bay, to mate with the end of my 50amp Shore Cord, after removing the 'twist lock' end. A few large wire caps and some electrical tape later, and I had a simple, but efficient, 'hardwired' Shore Cord, which also conveniently stores in the same DEF bay by simply wrapping it up and around the DEF unit.

You can't paint a better, and easier picture for an answer to such an aggravation - especially when you travel a lot. Now it's a breeze. I park. I open the DEF bay door. I remove only enough Shore Cord to reach the Power Pedestal. Done.
No Shore Cord laying on the ground, necessarily(I can even wrap it over the bay door for support to keep it off the ground), and very little EFFORT involved! Excellent.

Factory, are you listening??

The Turners...
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 compact diesel 100k+miles since '14... US, Alaska, Canada...
AND a '14 Gulfstream Amerlite
AND a '07 ForestRIver Rockwood : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 05:29 PM   #7

That’s a great idea. I may go this route and shorten the supplied power cable. Save about 600 bucks!
Old 07-06-2020, 05:36 PM   #8
...far N Georgia!

It's one of the BEST modifications I've ever done to our coach. It's so easy and also so easy to 'forget' how difficult and time consuming and aggravating it USED to be!

go for it...your design and outcome will be a little different, but you can find a way to make it work. No 'cord reel' needed!
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 05:46 PM   #9
Motorized GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post

Factory, are you listening??
Not sure which factory you are referring to....we use cord reels. On the Force and up. Isata 5 is sort of a tweener...I used it, never had an issue with the cord. I can see where one might, but then as you said, easy add.
Old 07-07-2020, 03:55 PM   #10

I have a new Isata 5. I bought a 15 ft 50 amp cord, about $65 and find I can use it 95% of the time. Only 1out of 20 times have I needed to lug out the clumsy longer 25 ft stock cord. Much easier to manage and less expensive that a motorized reel. Just a suggestion.
rlind
rlind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, shore power, wiring