Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 10:14 PM   #1

Isata 5 8 month review

So I purchased my Isata 5 last September. During the first 4 months of ownership it went back to the dealer for:

Leaking AC
Slides were misaligned
Paint issues
Cabinets mis aligned/bottoms falling out
Drain pipe fittings leaking
Defective thermostat
Main door popping open while driving
Broken TV's
Bath sliding door damaged

Some items were taken care of after two visits. The main issues that remained were the door, slide and AC.

We had planned camping trips but unfortunately had to cancel as we found out our 10 year old son has a brain tumor. This was devastating news that took all our attention away from everything else. My son loves camping and we were able to schedule a last minute trip to Disney in January to help lift his spirits. We decided to deal with the remaining issues later. The trip itself was awesome, the drive down and back was awful.

We discovered more issues, the sofa side window was lipped and acted like a sail driving down the highway. The noise and vibration was terrible. My wife tried everything to get it to stop, eventually we gave up. We then noticed a vibration and whirring noise coming from the drive line. As we drove longer, it got louder. Then half way through the trip the main door popped open while driving down 95... now we should have locked it, so we did and it continued to pop, not open but rattled badly. We had to slam the door to get it to shut.
Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.
Other issues were:

Water leaking through awning
Dining side window was lipped and couldn't be opened without it catching
AC was still leaking
Rain/water leaked in on main slide
More drawer bottoms fell out
More paint issues
Key pad stopped working
Plex in wet bay stopped displaying info
Shades wrong sizes on dinette windows
Noise/rattle from over head bunk
Rear heat pump not working
Lower inside frame around all outside storage compartments rusted, paint came off.
Sink drains not draining properly
Slides still not closing properly
Hidden damage around tail lights (caulked to hide it)

So needless to say we were disappointed. But figured we bought a Dynamax and they will take care of the problems... we couldn't have been more wrong...

We dropped off the coach to the dealer February 1st. It is still there...

It sat for four weeks, no repairs, lots of debating about the issues, who was responsible, etc...

No one owned the issues, lots of confusion. I could tell the dealer was extremely frustrated with Dynamax. As it sat at the dealer we found all the side by side windows were lipped causing them to hang up and rub when opening.

After numerous trips, pictures, emails and the dealer complaining Dynamax sent two new insulated windows, a key pad and a shade (wrong size) The new windows are much , much better then the originals, but now I have a mix of windows.

The driveline vibration cause is unknown, there was no Ram dealer near me that can work on the coach. The dealer called 15 dealers, no luck. The dealer reached out to Dynamax and was told it's not their responsibility, I have to find someone... ok so I start calling dealers, no luck. After more emails and dealer complaining to Dynamax they called Ram customer service to register the problem. Ram called me and asked if I knew where to take it... really?

In the meantime I continued to debate my issues with Dynamax while receiving little to no help, continuity being told by Dan the Dynamax parts manager what Dynamax doesn't do...

Some issues have been repaired. What was amazing was what the dealer found when repairing the problems. For instance they found the key pad was jammed into the door, gooped up with sealer, it broke because they didn't router out the foam... the paint around the rear tail lights was scratched, the answer? A half ass bead or silicone to cover it up. The door was found to be bowed in the middle thus won't shut properly, as of today it is still 3 weeks out and according to Dynamax they have no doors on the production line. Two windows were replaced but Dynamax refuses to replace the others with the same problem, even though the dealer says they should be replaced.

I had to send a final repair demand letter certified mail to get Ram to find a dealer willing to work on the chassis.

I was informed by Dan at Dynamax that while the existing issues may be annoying the RV can be used and I should expect the windows to sag and lip even though they replaced two already. I wonder if Dan will pick us up if the coach breaks down? I was also informed it doesn't matter what the dealer thinks about what needs to be repaired. There is no relationship between the dealer and manufacture. So Dynamax knows more about my coach from 800 mikes away then the dealer does. Basically I need to suck it up and take my 150k RV down the road...

Brian Clemens was initially involved, then I was passed on to Brian Meeks. I spoke to Brian Meeks over the phone, he told me he was going to take care of everything and he would be my contact. I never heard from him again. Dan the parts manager has been my go to for Dynamax, we exchanged about a dozen emails, most were ridiculous at best. It wasn't unit I called Dan out on his BS response above about taking the coach that Brian Clemens jumped back in... to defend his employee.

Ram called me today to tell me they found a dealer to look at the chassis. So now I need to get it from Dylans to the Ram dealer. If they can manage to fix it I then have to take it back to Dylan's...

Along this journey of aggravation, pain and frustration I found out some interesting info.

There is nothing but frustration and animosity between Dylan's and Dynamax.

My unit was rushed to get it to the Hersey show.

Dynamax farms out some of its paint work.

Dylan's has many issues with Dynamax products as a whole.

Good information that I got too late...

So what's the take away?

I wasted 150k
I bought a lemon
Dynamax talks the talk but can't walk the walk

I am sure Brian will rebut some or all my statements. No problem, it's all 100 percent true. I work in retail. I know how tough it is to deal with the public. So I am much more calm and understanding when issues arise. I get there will be some issues when buying an RV. The difference is how does the manufacture deal with them, treat the customer, work with the dealer, etc... especially when a customer has the number of issues I have had. Honestly I am embarrassed for Dynamax. I purposefully waited to post my experience because I kept hoping someone was going to come to their senses and help... never happened.

So now I will spread the word. Tell as many people about my Dynamax experience as I can.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:49 PM   #2
Commercial Member

I have no intention of rebutting anything. Your perception is your perception...nothing that I can do or say will change that.

I will refer to your original post.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ns-151288.html

You did not seem alarmed, you did not seem to have major issues and as anyone can see I responded the entire time.

It wasn't until you started taking things I said and paraphrasing them to the dealer in your own words, that I backed away because we needed ONE single point of contact. The dealer was getting irritated with me, because they felt like I was contradicting them...based on what you were saying to them. You were emailing me, the dealer owner, the dealer service rep, and the Dynamax service rep in addition to verbal communication to one or all of those individuals.

So, this will be my only post on this thread. You are free to post whatever you want because that is your right. Know, as I told you in my latest email, we have been on the phone daily working to resolve your issues. But with 6 other people responding to every email it is doing nothing but creating more confusion.

For anyone else that my be confused...WE cannot warranty your chassis. We cannot fix your engine, we cannot fix your exhaust...that can only be serviced by your chassis MFG. I thought that was pretty clear. We will however pull every string and resource that we have to help, but in the end, the warranty is to the end consumer, not us. As others know...I have reached out to Freightliner to get answers (like sway bar bushings), but there is a limit to my abilities when it comes to the chassis.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
Old 03-29-2018, 11:20 PM   #3

Isata 5 8 month review

I wasn't alarmed because I typically down play issues. My expectations were the problems would be easily resolved. Obviously that's not the case. So yes, 2 months later I am panicking. I have always found deal with issues quickly, if they are left to fester it only gets worse. The dealer has made it clear to me they are beyond frustrated... now that may be some good cop bad cop but to put me in the middle is ridiculous. I completely understand YOU can not service the chassis but when it became clear we couldn't find someone Dan sending emails stating it is ultimately my responsibility to find someone didn't help. In my business I personally have had knock down, drag out battles with my vendors and manufactures over customer issues. I guess I expected the same.

The whole window thing is ridiculous too... just work with me, stop being combative, the dealer recommended replacing them all, just do it! In the grand scheme of things given the circumstances it makes nothing but sense! As I see it the dealer and you guys are debating issues instead of resolving them which is adding the the frustration and confusion. Add all this to my other stresses and I am reaching my wits end.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:59 PM   #4

Isata 5 8 month review

Dropped off coach to Ram dealer, check engine light came on while driving it there... no luck with this coach.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4316.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	224.2 KB
ID:	166681
Old 03-31-2018, 03:23 PM   #5

My advice to anyone considering buying any brand of motorhome: just remember that in most cases, you are not purchasing 'a' motorhome; you are making two separate purchases as far as the warranties are considered: a coach AND a chassis. Unlike a car, you will be dealing with two manufacturers. (at the very least). One would hope that with FR's buying power that they would have some influence over the suppliers of the chassis. Local truck and van dealerships should be required to provide service to a chassis that happens to have a motorhome coach attached to it. Perhaps each motorhome could have a specific truck dealer in the RV dealer's area named as the primary service provider. Heck, have the chassis provider give their local dealer some type of incentive to work on it when warranty issues pop up.
Hopefully, some type of acceptable resolution to your motorhome problems will take place.
Old 03-31-2018, 05:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandRevenger View Post
My advice to anyone considering buying any brand of motorhome: just remember that in most cases, you are not purchasing 'a' motorhome; you are making two separate purchases as far as the warranties are considered: a coach AND a chassis. Unlike a car, you will be dealing with two manufacturers. (at the very least). One would hope that with FR's buying power that they would have some influence over the suppliers of the chassis. Local truck and van dealerships should be required to provide service to a chassis that happens to have a motorhome coach attached to it. Perhaps each motorhome could have a specific truck dealer in the RV dealer's area named as the primary service provider. Heck, have the chassis provider give their local dealer some type of incentive to work on it when warranty issues pop up.

Hopefully, some type of acceptable resolution to your motorhome problems will take place.

Excellent suggestions! I feel the same way. It should be reviewed with Ram And their dealers by Dynamax so the customer knows where to go. My last RV was a Jayco and I had no dealer, yet there were super accommodating helping me find repair facilities for the chassis and other items. I expected the same from Dynamax. Telling me "good luck with that" after dropping 150k isn't cool.
Old 03-31-2018, 05:49 PM   #7
Commercial Member

“Good luck with that”. Pure Hyperbole.

We told you that YOU would need to contact them because the warranty is to you not us and I also told you that we would reach out to our contacts from our end

I was the one that contacted MORRyde who in turn contacted Buds and got the appointment with them to rule out driveline issues. MORryde did not want to touch it since they said from the start it was not a driveline issue. I said I would cover all diagnostics so that we could at least rule it out.
I was the one that contacted FCA to start a case number on your chassis and gave that case number to the dealer. I reached out to my contacts at Chrysler and the case worker wanted to talk to the retail owner.

I have no issue with you being upset, no issue with you expecting things to be resolved quicker. I do have issues when you distort the truth.

Ps. I did lie. I said I would only post once. But I can’t let false statements go unchecked.

Old 03-31-2018, 09:23 PM   #8

Isata 5 8 month review

Dropped off 2-1-18... Ram reached out to me 3-20-18... not what I would call speedy... Brian my expectations are based on how I treat others. I have said this numerous times, NO ONE TOOK CHARGE AND OWNED ALL THE ISSUES! Please stop telling me what you did! If it was successful then we wouldn't be going back and forth on this forum! My coach is 7 months old and I have camped in it once. This is not only my nightmare it's a PR nightmare for Dynamax! You feel you tried your best...It wasn't close to enough. And the dealer, that your not associated with, feels the same way.

If I were in your shoes the coach would have come back to Dynamax ASAP! You would have gone over it with a fine tooth comb, corrected every issue while documenting them so you could work to improve the process. You would have reached out to your Ram rep, demanded they find someone local to look at the chassis. You would have reached out to me personally on the phone to update progress and offer apologies for sending a unit in that condition... YOU WOULD HAVE OWNED IT! And I would have been extremely happy. Instead I get half ass effort, little to no follow up and am caught in a war between you and the dealer because you don't agree with them.

My final demand letter is what sparked Ram to step up. The reached out to the same dealer we did. They forced their hand. They don't have a bay or lift but can work on it outside with a portable heavy duty lift. The service manager felt horrible for all the run around and delays.

In reality if you are putting out a superior product, issues like this are rare and easily dealt with... based on my interaction I am guessing your plant and facilities are maxed out, QC is suffering and your team is in damage control mode. Just my assessment.

Even at this point you want to debate the semantics... all the while I have been without my coach due to multiple issues that are both yours and Rams problem. You continue to shock me, and based on the private messages I am getting off this post you are shocking others too.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:15 PM   #9

Vrunner,

Where are you located?

There are RAM dealers in Newark, DE and Downingtown, PA that can lift motorhomes. Dodge customer service supplied that info to me quickly when I received a recall notice. The Dodge lady even called both dealers to confirm while I was listening in.

I am fairly certain a dealer in South Jersey was also mentioned.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:32 PM   #10

I am near Atlantic City. Between the dealer and I we called most Ram dealers in Southern/Central NJ. None were willing to work on it. Penske/Turnersville sells the HD chassis and also services Freight liner. We figured they would work on it since they definitely have the ability, nope... Ram customer service was no help initially, Dynamax called them, then I was asked to call them. They asked me where I thought I could take it... [emoji58] I didn't hear back from them for about a week but then they got my demand letter for final repair... all of a sudden they found a dealer to look at it, everyone has been very nice, attentive and accommodating. It is at Vann in Vineland. Probably the smallest Ram dealer around. They do sell chassis trucks so they are familiar with them. They can't work on my coach inside though. We will see what happens. Please share the dealers you know. It's go to have the info.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrunner View Post
I am near Atlantic City. Between the dealer and I we called most Ram dealers in Southern/Central NJ. None were willing to work on it. Penske/Turnersville sells the HD chassis and also services Freight liner. We figured they would work on it since they definitely have the ability, nope... Ram customer service was no help initially, Dynamax called them, then I was asked to call them. They asked me where I thought I could take it... [emoji58] I didn't hear back from them for about a week but then they got my demand letter for final repair... all of a sudden they found a dealer to look at it, everyone has been very nice, attentive and accommodating. It is at Vann in Vineland. Probably the smallest Ram dealer around. They do sell chassis trucks so they are familiar with them. They can't work on my coach inside though. We will see what happens. Please share the dealers you know. It's go to have the info.

Stinks but my experience with Dodge customer service was excellent. They were very proactive and followed up on my two issues.

Dylan’s fixed one chassis issue in a few minutes and the recall did not apply to my vehicle. Carmen Dodge resolved it in one phone call by them doing something in the Dodge database.

Carman Dodge
196 S. DuPont Highway
New Castle, DE
888-820-3171

Jeff D’Ambrosio Dodge
1221 East Lancaster Av.
Downingtown, PA
877-731-9066

Somewhere on the Dodge Truck web sit was a list of dealers who could accommodate motorhomes.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:20 AM   #12

Dylan's offered to swap the rear with another unit on the lot to see if that resolved the issue... very generous offer but I told them they needed to get Ram to agree for warranty purposes. They never heard back from them. I did drive another Isata 5 35DB to see if it made the same noise. But it was quiet, no driveline noises just typical squeaks and rattles. Thanks for the info!
Old 04-02-2018, 11:05 AM   #13

For what its worth here are some pictures of my windows. The gaps are symmetrical the full length.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2783.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	166950   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2784.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	166951   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2785.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	166952   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2786.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	166953  

2018 Isata 5 DS
Old 04-02-2018, 04:29 PM   #14

Now that's how all of mine should look! Thanks for sharing! Based on what I have seen there is no way most panels are like mine. Just burns me up when Dynamax gives me ridiculous answers for something that is obviously a problem.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Now that's how all of mine should look! Thanks for sharing! Based on what I have seen there is no way most panels are like mine. Just burns me up when Dynamax gives me ridiculous answers for something that is obviously a problem.
I don't get all this complaining. Why don't you just take it to Elkhart and get it fixed and be done with it.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:58 PM   #16

Agreed
Old 04-02-2018, 08:06 PM   #17

I would agree with going to the factory. I could not find a dealer close to me worth their two cents. I found a good one in Michigan. My plan was to stop at the factory on the way home after picking up the coach to do a tour. I had a few issues including the dreaded stains. They jumped on my coach and three hours later I had my tour, met Brian, and all my issues were resolved. Great service and the coach is spot on after two 1500 mile trips. Drive it to Dynamax and be done with it and start enjoying your RV.

2018 Isata 5 DS
Old 04-02-2018, 09:25 PM   #18

Isata 5 8 month review

Great idea Bill! Here is the problem unlike some my wife and I still work full time jobs, add to that my young sons health issues which are our number one priority and require extensive traveling to doctors. We have little time to do anything else.

However I did suggest if Dynamax could get the unit back to the factory for repairs I would fly out on a weekend when it was done to drive it back. Initially everyone agreed but Brian Meeks didn't and stating they were too busy at the factory. He was supposed to oversee repairs with the dealer, obviously that didn't happen.

Add to the pile the major issue at this point is the driveline which Dynamax made clear they don't handle.

Honestly nowhere in Dynamax's warranty or literature does it say if I have warranty problems I have to drive it 1600 miles round trip to the factory for repairs... they speak highly of buying from a local dealer. I did that... I didn't spend 150k for all this aggregation. I thought I was buying a quality RV along with superior service and local support.

Buying a RV is like a buying a new home. There will always be issues and a punch list. How the builder and subs handle those issues make all the difference in your buying and ownership experience.

I was extremely patient at the beginning of this process. My patience is now gone. What is most frustrating is Dynamax chooses to not only be combative with the dealer but make it public knowledge. So I will continue to share my frustrations until everything is fixed or the unit is bought back.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Great idea Bill! Here is the problem unlike some my wife and I still work full time jobs, add to that my young sons health issues which are our number one priority and require extensive traveling to doctors. We have little time to do anything else.

However I did suggest if Dynamax could get the unit back to the factory for repairs I would fly out on a weekend when it was done to drive it back. Initially everyone agreed but Brian Meeks didn't and stating they were too busy at the factory. He was supposed to oversee repairs with the dealer, obviously that didn't happen.

Add to the pile the major issue at this point is the driveline which Dynamax made clear they don't handle.

Honestly nowhere in Dynamax's warranty or literature does it say if I have warranty problems I have to drive it 1600 miles round trip to the factory for repairs... they speak highly of buying from a local dealer. I did that... I didn't spend 150k for all this aggregation. I thought I was buying a quality RV along with superior service and local support.

Buying a RV is like a buying a new home. There will always be issues and a punch list. How the builder and subs handle those issues make all the difference in your buying and ownership experience.

I was extremely patient at the beginning of this process. My patience is now gone. What is most frustrating is Dynamax chooses to not only be combative with the dealer but make it public knowledge. So I will continue to share my frustrations until everything is fixed or the unit is bought back.
I'm sure your dealer would provide a driver to take it there and back. The factory will fix all of your coach issues. Just do it and move on.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:35 PM   #20
Commercial Member

We actually talked about picking it up...however the repair list did not seem that difficult, originally. In addition, when discussing the "whir-Whir" noise...MORryde did not think it was a drive line issue and the local shop, Bud's, wanted to test drive the vehicle WITH the retail customer so that they could clearly identify the noise and the scenario that caused it. At that time, we felt Bud's could resolve the issue and we would not need to add mileage. We also felt, according to the initial response from the customer that if the noise was just a balance issue that the customer could take the unit if needed.

I'm not sure where we made it public knowledge? can you direct me to that spot?

Closed Thread