Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2017, 05:11 PM   #1

Isata 5 back-up camera

I'm going to replace the useless rear view mirror in my Isata 5 with a rear view camera that is on all the time. After doing a little research, I came up with this system:

RVS-770619N | Backup Camera System One (1) Camera Setup with 7" Replacement Mirror Display | RVS Systems

This unit replaces the rear view mirror, it slides right on to the lug on the windshield.

This company has their systems on quite a few RV's (they even have it on some Forrest River models)

I do have one question for you Brian - can you tell me what the connection from the existing camera into the Uconnect display is. I'm hoping that I can use the existing camera and just use that feed to the new display. This system comes with everything so i'm hoping it will be a simple installation.
Go Gators
Rrzasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:55 AM   #2
Commercial Member

I've used RVS for years when I was at Sunseeker/Forester.

The reason we did not do what you're talking about is because the Ram 5500 mirror is NOT just a mirror. There are wires that run to it for the Assist/911 buttons. RVS also made us a clip on version that goes right over the existing OEM mirror so that you don't lose the functionality of the existing mirror.

ALSO...the RAM mirror does not clip into a lug like the Ford does. It is a completely different mounting style. Its a big bulky plastic piece and the mirror is on a ball socket.

"come build RV's, it'll be easy they said".

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:20 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply Brian. Is the clip on version still available? Do you happen to remember the part number. I saw the wiring and the different mounting system but I figured that I don't use the 911/ assist feature so i'd remove the whole thing and mount a lug on the wind shield. If the clip on version is comparable, then i'd consider that since it would save the original equipment.
Go Gators
Old 01-10-2017, 01:56 PM   #4
Commercial Member

I never did buy it from them so I did not get the part number...I just know they offered it.

As for the wiring...that gets confusing because we were getting the Ram prewire. The camera hooks into a harness in the back of the unit and gets a yazaki connector. I'll have to dig in a little bit more to see how in the world the radio ties into that equation. Electrical engineer stopped by, but I was in a meeting,

Old 01-10-2017, 08:52 PM   #5

Brian, please post what info you can on on this topic as a new owner of an Isata 5 I do want to have a rear view camera while towing.
Whalenss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:44 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Well, the consensus is that a new wire would have to be run, or go wireless.

Prior to my arrival, they were ordering the RAM's with the RAM back up camera. This camera feeds into the Connect radio (which is not available for us to delete). That means it ties into the chassis harness and is wired into the OEM radio harness...not in a traditional method with RCA cables as we would find aftermarket.

On the 2018, I will not be using the Uconnect radio for back up at all...but instead a stand alone system.

I am still asking FCA about a software update that would allow the camera button on the radio, like they do for the Laramie and the 1500 trucks.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:04 AM   #7

Thanks for your attention and follow up. Hope there is a software update to enable the camera.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:13 PM   #8

Thanks for the information Brian, I guess the easiest is if FCA would offer a software upgrade to allow the camera to be on all the time. I'd rather pay for that upgrade than run new wires or use a wireless backup camera that I have to run power wires to anyway.
Go Gators
Old 01-13-2017, 10:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrzasa View Post
Thanks for the information Brian, I guess the easiest is if FCA would offer a software upgrade to allow the camera to be on all the time. I'd rather pay for that upgrade than run new wires or use a wireless backup camera that I have to run power wires to anyway.

Is your back up camera in the mirror or dash?

Are the 5's coming with the 8.4 screen?
Old 01-13-2017, 10:32 PM   #10

Here is your software/hardware solution.

I personally installed this in my 2014 ram 2500.
I also added a front camera.

Lockout disable
Front cam feature enable
Rev cam feature enable
Cargo cam feature enable or media (Mediaplayer, DVD) input.
Force front cam feature
Force cargo cam feature
Force Rev cam Feature
FrontView
ParkPro

With a front cam installed, the front camera image comes on screen automatically under 10kph. ( or so)
Nice for parking lots.

http://customtronix.com/webshop/chry...lbreak-silver/
Old 01-16-2017, 09:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Thanks for the reply Brian. Is the clip on version still available? Do you happen to remember the part number. I saw the wiring and the different mounting system but I figured that I don't use the 911/ assist feature so i'd remove the whole thing and mount a lug on the wind shield. If the clip on version is comparable, then i'd consider that since it would save the original equipment.
I think this is the clip on version you're talking about?

RVS-082619P | Backup Camera System One (1) Camera Setup with 7" Clip-On Mirror Display | RVS Systems

good luck!
RV_Fan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 05:36 PM   #12

Isata 5 back-up camera

Just do the software.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
Just do the software.
Kenny, do you know if this software works with the OEM camera? Or do I have to replace the camera as well?

Also, the website says that the rear camera goes off once you hit 5 mph, is your rear camera on all the time if you choose it to be on all the time?
Go Gators
Old 01-17-2017, 11:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Kenny, do you know if this software works with the OEM camera? Or do I have to replace the camera as well?

Also, the website says that the rear camera goes off once you hit 5 mph, is your rear camera on all the time if you choose it to be on all the time?

All the software does, is allows you to use certain features whenever you want.
The camera does go off, but by hitting the "back" button, you can cycle through your cameras while in motion, or whenever you please.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:35 AM   #15

Has there been any progress on this? I want to be able to use the rear camera at any time to view my towed vehicle. The rear "back-up" displays on the Uconnect 8.4 display, but you can't access this view while going down the highway. What's the best fix?
Stroker09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:24 AM   #16

Hi Brian - you mentioned in another thread that side cameras were being tested so I'm guessing that you are designing a new backup/side camera system that is independent of the Uconnect system for the Isata 5. Will that be a running change in the 2018 model run? And do you have any more details about it?
Old 03-19-2017, 01:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroker09 View Post
Has there been any progress on this? I want to be able to use the rear camera at any time to view my towed vehicle. The rear "back-up" displays on the Uconnect 8.4 display, but you can't access this view while going down the highway. What's the best fix?

Said it here a million times.

http://customtronix.com/webshop/chry...lbreak-silver/
Old 03-20-2017, 07:43 AM   #18
Commercial Member

No more details yet. We did run a proto.

The issue is the CANbus. There is no way to get right/left signals to operate the cameras without a module to read the CANbus data. That is what is taking so long. Proto seemed to work, but that was on a proto module. Probably a mid model year running change and in time for the new floor plan.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:57 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
I appreciate the link. However, I've not read any threads on this subject from other users stating that this software works in the Isata 5. Anyone?????
Stroker09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:54 PM   #20

I have installed it on two rams.
One 2500 and one 3500.
The 5500 uses the same software.
As long as your camera image is displayed on the factory 8.4" screen.. this will work