Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2017, 09:56 PM   #1

Isata 5 Bathroom Medicine Cabinet Glass Breakage

Not sure if anyone has had this problem..On my 1st trip out camping I noticed a problem with the bathroom mirror setup. The medicine cabinet door is solid and when you apply breaks the door opens and hits the shower thus causing the glass to break. My dealer took great care of me and actually got me in the next week to fix it. Mirror was replaced and a wire catch was installed to keep the glass from hitting the shower if it opened again. Guess what..today I picked it up..Drove home on the freeway..Yep..Broken again. The metal catch even broke..Not sure what the Dynamax can do but its seems to be a problem. Or at least with mine. If you get one make sure you install a strong latch. Or be best friends with a glass guy.

Called my dealer and they said to have a glass Co. cut another mirror and they would pay me back. Not upset and happy my dealer has been great to work with. Just passing on the info to save someone a problem. Sorry that the photos are sideways. Not sure how to fix that.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171105_164922.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	155868   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171105_164901 (1).jpg
Views:	83
Size:	339.8 KB
ID:	155869  
4XGLMPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:11 PM   #2

What kind of latch did they use?
Old 11-05-2017, 10:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwdilday View Post
What kind of latch did they use?
They kept the original latch and then added a wire stop to keep it from hitting shower. The door was heavy enough that it broke the wire and still hit shower. I think a very strong magnet might be needed. And a heavier wire catch. You can see the wire that broke in photo #2..When I get time I will take a photo of the latch.
4XGLMPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:59 AM   #4

Until you figure it out something over the shower edge would help. A towel, swim noodle or something. The wire allows the door to open so you have that heavy door and mirror trying to be stopped by the wire. That is going to eventually fail especially mounted so far toward the hinge. Keeping the door closed is better than trying to stop it from hitting while it is swinging back and forth. Either a strong magnet (you won't really be able to see if it opens unless you put some indicator in the cabinet or on the door) or some type of latch.

I am not sure how your door overlays or insets into the frame but something like this might work. https://www.amazon.com/Sumnacon-Stai...net+door+latch
Old 11-06-2017, 08:58 AM   #5
Commercial Member

I'll show that to my guys. Therein lies the domino effect. When we first built that, it was a framed mirror...but shorter people had their nose in the wood frame, so to solve that complaint, we changed that to a full frame mirror. We'll have to add a bumper...too strong of a latch and you won't get it open. Maybe a transit latch.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 03:35 PM   #6

Door fixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4XGLMPR View Post
Not sure if anyone has had this problem..On my 1st trip out camping I noticed a problem with the bathroom mirror setup. The medicine cabinet door is solid and when you apply breaks the door opens and hits the shower thus causing the glass to break. My dealer took great care of me and actually got me in the next week to fix it. Mirror was replaced and a wire catch was installed to keep the glass from hitting the shower if it opened again. Guess what..today I picked it up..Drove home on the freeway..Yep..Broken again. The metal catch even broke..Not sure what the Dynamax can do but its seems to be a problem. Or at least with mine. If you get one make sure you install a strong latch. Or be best friends with a glass guy.

Called my dealer and they said to have a glass Co. cut another mirror and they would pay me back. Not upset and happy my dealer has been great to work with. Just passing on the info to save someone a problem. Sorry that the photos are sideways. Not sure how to fix that.

Paul
Go to a store like Walmart and get one of those baby safety door latch gizmos. They are usually a strap with sticky ends that come apart like a belt buckle. That will keep your cabinet door closed while you are on the road. You don’t have to latch it while you are parked.
clayart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 06:43 PM   #7

Medicine cabinet door

For our Rockwood 2304KS Mini Lite, I replaced the rinky-dink 18" wide X 24" high X 3" deep particle board medicine cabinet with a 22 1/2" W X 30" H X 6" D cabinet. !/2" Baltic Birch box, 3 adjustable shelves, with Cherry wood face frame and door. My cabinate is 1/3 lighter than the origional, but the door with the mirror is heavier than the origional. Inspite of using 3 self closing Euro style hinges and a centered friction catch, the door would swing open in transit spilling the contents. I had to add 2 magnetic catches to solve the problem.
You might also want to place rubber bumper tabs to the spots where the glass hits the wall to cushion it?
Denny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:04 PM   #8

My daughter has foster children. She has to keep all knives, medicines etc completely out of their reach. She bought latches at Home Depot that she put on a cabinet door to secure it. Then she has a round piece she touches on the outside of the cabinet door and it unlocks the door. You can't see anything on the outside. Just an idea.
Desertsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:15 PM   #9

Latches are made by Safety First. They're called magnetic safety latches.
Desertsquid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bathroom, roo