Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2022, 07:16 AM   #1
Steve & Linda M.

ISATA 5 DEF Header

We are narrowing our choice, for purchase, down to the ISATA 5 30FW or the Force HD 34KD.

I've found information on the iRV2 forum about Freightliner DEF Headers being more reliable than ones that, typically aftermarkets, source from Shaw.

I'd be interested in knowing if the ISATA 5 also uses a Freightliner DEF system, specifically the Header, or if it is sourced from someone else.

If anyone knows of a thread that address this issue, could you please note the thread. I did a search and was unsuccessful.

Thanks in advance.
MevetS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 07:21 AM   #2

Have you tired contacting the Mfg to find out what they install?
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 09:56 AM   #3
Steve & Linda M.

With Brian Clemens on this Forum, it should hopefully amount to the same thing. Unless you have a different understanding of who the manufacturer is.
Old 02-07-2022, 09:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MevetS View Post
We are narrowing our choice, for purchase, down to the ISATA 5 30FW or the Force HD 34KD.

I've found information on the iRV2 forum about Freightliner DEF Headers being more reliable than ones that, typically aftermarkets, source from Shaw.

I'd be interested in knowing if the ISATA 5 also uses a Freightliner DEF system, specifically the Header, or if it is sourced from someone else.

If anyone knows of a thread that address this issue, could you please note the thread. I did a search and was unsuccessful.

Thanks in advance.
Isata 5 is on the ram 5500 chassis with the 6.7 cummins built for them. Best bet would be to research in some of the ram forums, or even do some digging in service info on the cummins self service website (it has technical manuals and such available if you make an account).
Phreak480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 09:57 AM   #5

Quote:
With Brian Clemens on this Forum, it should hopefully amount to the same thing. Unless you have a different understanding of who the manufacturer is.
The chassis manufacturer might be a good resource, so in this case Ram trucks.
Phreak480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 10:23 AM   #6

Quote:

I very much have a different understanding. I'm talking about the chassis Mfg who does the eng and frame.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 10:36 AM   #7
Steve & Linda M.

The fact that the Isata 5 is on a RAM 5500 chassis with the 6.7L Cummins engine is easy to find. It's also not hard to determine that it's on a 4x4 chassis with a 9 Gal DEF system. Although the RAM 5500 also comes as a 4x2.

The 4X2 would lead me to a different, question.

Note that you can find this info at : https://www.ramtrucks.com/ram-chassis-cab/specs.html
also most of it is here : https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/class-c-motorhomes/isata-5

But it does not address my question.

I did a quick posting hoping that someone had already stumbled across the answer to the question about who's DEF header was in the 9 gal tank. But so far, that is not the case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RAM 5500.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	268607  
Old 02-07-2022, 01:17 PM   #8

Daimler owns Freightliner and Detroit Diesel. FCA owns Dodge Ram trucks. Not sure who owns Cummins or if they are still independent. So, I find it unlikely that Dodge Ram would install a Freightliner DEF header. Anything is possible, however. A call to a Dodge dealership Parts Department might lead to an answer.
“Breathe in, Breathe out, Move on”
MoJoe1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 07:58 AM   #9
Steve & Linda M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Cummins informed me it is up to the chassis manufactures what they program into the system. Some cars even have a count down millage that shows on the dash, there are videos on YouTube. I have asked two different people at Spartan what the mileage would be to derate. I have never received an answer. Maybe somebody with a little pull at Spartan can get that questioned answered. Asking question regarding DEF sensors to a lot of people in the profession. I get a lot of "I don't know" answers.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/showthre...errerid=201502

The above is likely to be what I anticipate running into. So far, my 1st attempt with RAM, has proven to be as noted in the quote, with respect to the "I don't know ".

The Tiffin Powerglide chassis uses the Shaw Development DEF Headers, and we've had ours go out in under 8.5k miles. One of the Tiffin Directors indicated that future failures should not be a surprise. Also indicated that they are searching for a alternative vendor, so far without success.
Old 02-08-2022, 08:24 AM   #10
Commercial Member

In the (6) years I have been here, I have not heard of a DEF header going out on a Ram. (knock on wood)

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 08:29 AM   #11
Steve & Linda M.

A bit more info :

https://www.rvtravel.com/motorhomes-...cummins-blame/

https://fluid-management.shawdev.com...%20Diagram.pdf

https://fluid-management.shawdev.com...-fluid-systems
(select <more> for details)

https://www.epa.gov/recalls/diesel-e...ortage-updates

This only address what the problems may be, not who makes the system.
Old 02-08-2022, 09:08 AM   #12
Steve & Linda M.

Thanks, BClemens ! Good to know.

A follow up, do you get reports from out in the field in the eventuality that a DEF failure does occur ? At least in the case of warrant work.

Being inquisitive, I'd still love to know who the supplier is.
Old 02-08-2022, 09:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I the (6) years I have been here, I have not heard of a DEF header going out on a Ram. (knock on wood)
Now why'd ya have to go and say that
Old 02-08-2022, 09:33 AM   #14
Steve & Linda M.

I'm interested in the topic, having been stuck for a week, at a shop, last year. So how else do I know anything, if I don't ask questions?

And in our case, the DEF Header was sitting on the shelf. Phone tag and inability to ship "overnight", as it was stated, stretched 2 days into 5.

I'm not questioning Brian's integrity just trying to get a feel for what I should anticipate, when I buy a Dynamax. I see it as doing my "Due Diligence".

I can't see why a reputable manufacturer, from talking to Dynamax Reps and from what I have read here, would be offended by the question. It's not like I asked for a full ISO audit.

We are scheduled to be at the manufacturing facility for a tour, on Thursday. Brian can let me know, in person, assuming he's there if he thought I was out of line.

But he probably has better manners then I do, when I'm on a quest for info.
Old 02-08-2022, 09:40 AM   #15
Commercial Member

Quote:
I'm interested in the topic, having been stuck for a week, at a shop, last year. So how else do I know anything, if I don't ask questions?

And in our case, the DEF Header was sitting on the shelf. Phone tag and inability to ship "overnight", as it was stated, stretched 2 days into 5.

I'm not questioning Brian's integrity just trying to get a feel for what I should anticipate, when I buy a Dynamax. I see it as doing my "Due Diligence".

I can't see why a reputable manufacturer, from talking to Dynamax Reps and from what I have read here, would be offended by the question. It's not like I asked for a full ISO audit.

We are scheduled to be at the manufacturing facility for a tour, on Thursday. Brian can let me know, in person, assuming he's there if he thought I was out of line.

um....he was talking about me (which is why he quoted me) saying I had not had a problem in 6 years and he was alluding to the fact that I jinxed it.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 09:47 AM   #16

Quote:

Brian is usually not there for tours, he is a busy man, we are all just happy that he gives us time on the forum to help answer some of these questions.

Enjoy your tour, everyone there has knowledge on a lot of these subjects. But Dynamax will not be your answer for a chassis specific question. Call your local Freightliner dealer or Ram 5500 dealer and inquire.
Old 02-08-2022, 09:47 AM   #17
Steve & Linda M.

I figured that was the case. Just wanted to make my position know.
Old 02-10-2022, 04:36 AM   #18
Steve & Linda M.

As if almost on cue, RAM has provided the following response to my request on the DEF Header :

"the information you are requesting is either unavailable or considered proprietary."

I may still be able to illicit a actual response from some unsuspecting Parts Department. But I'm not holding my breath. Interestingly even RAM has suggested this approach. But they then provide the caveat "if available".

My quest for this info was never about knowing who to contact, that might be able to provide the info. IMO, those are obvious. Nor was it that I anticipated Brian to be present at a tour, that was rhetorical, at best.

The only obvious answer at this point is that it doesn't appear to be a answer that anyone is readily able to provide. RAM or otherwise. Which was the whole purpose of this exercise.

Thanks !
Old 02-10-2022, 05:23 AM   #19
Steve & Linda M.

I was just going through the "RAM Dealers that service Isata 5" thread.

Note :
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBR View Post
We have a 2019 Dodge 5500 30FW.
We had the def sensor go out and stopped at Dick Poe Dodge in El Paso Texas and they replaced the sensor under warranty. Great service and can lift the rv and do complete service on a Dodge 5500.Attachment 267596
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...errerid=169120
Old 02-10-2022, 10:51 AM   #20

re:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBR View Post
We have a 2019 Dodge 5500 30FW.
We had the def sensor go out and stopped at Dick Poe Dodge in El Paso Texas and they replaced the sensor under warranty. Great service and can lift the rv and do complete service on a Dodge 5500.Attachment 267596
So this seems to be the opposite of the Freightliner experience. Someone on travel has a problem, pulls into a random local dealer, and the part is replaced.

I crawled under my rig to see if any makers marks were visible on the def unit, but it is solid again the underside of the cab, beneath the driver seat. Would have to drop it to see anything. The def tank does have a Chrysler imprint.

I would be surprised if Ram told a random customer who a subcontractor is for a specific assembly. As they say, this traditionally is proprietary information.
Desert Boat is offline   Reply With Quote