Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2019, 01:04 PM   #1

Isata 5 DS Roller Shade

I have (I think) United Shade black out roller shades in my 2019 I 5. I have the instructions but can't figure out how to remove the shade from the valance. Has anyone done this and can you help me?
I had the dealer adjust the shade because it wasn't rolling up all the way. Well I'm on a 3 day trip and I went to pull the shade down and it just fell down and won't go back up. So I'm thinking if I can get it off I can figure out how to repair it? Other wise my dinette will just not have much of a view.
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseymyers View Post
I have (I think) United Shade black out roller shades in my 2019 I 5. I have the instructions but can't figure out how to remove the shade from the valance. Has anyone done this and can you help me?
I had the dealer adjust the shade because it wasn't rolling up all the way. Well I'm on a 3 day trip and I went to pull the shade down and it just fell down and won't go back up. So I'm thinking if I can get it off I can figure out how to repair it? Other wise my dinette will just not have much of a view.
Casey, The shades have either 2 or 3 U shaped clips (depending on the length of the shade) that are mounted to the inside top of the valance. I use a long, flat bladed screwdriver to pop each clip away from the metal base of the shade. They are easier to remove than to install.
I5PhilGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:02 PM   #3

I have attached a picture, you can barely see the plastic clip in the lower middle bottom of the shot. They are on the wall side of the shade. I opened the window and removed the screen to get the picture. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1347.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	362.7 KB
ID:	194270  
Old 01-09-2019, 02:44 PM   #4
Commercial Member

come on now...really? This is a world renowned work of art.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ir-127764.html

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 03:03 PM   #5

[QUOTE=bclemens;2002269]come on now...really? This is a world renowned work of art.

But Dad, why remove the valance if you don't have to? I fixed one of mine in a rest area and didn't even have to spend the night! Besides, if you take the valance down every time you end up wearing out the screw holes!
Old 01-09-2019, 03:06 PM   #6
Commercial Member

I only posted that because it shows a picture of the clip that holds the shade up. (metal spring thingy, in technical terms)

Old 01-09-2019, 03:53 PM   #7

Thanks Brian, I was trying to be lighthearted, that is good information that I will definitely retain for future use. We all appreciate your help.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:15 PM   #8
Commercial Member

I knew that...I just wanted to make sure Casey knew that picture was in there. I snapped in Susie's at the Rally. The outside edge goes into the clip...then the front edge snaps UP into place. It is not an easy maneuver...especially because her's was the galley window. So I was been backwards over the galley facing up, squeezing my hands into the narrow valance.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:41 PM   #9

My clips look like they are metal, but if they work the same way you are saying push up on the side of the clip that is towards the interior of the coach? Push up on that little tab and the leading edge of the blind track should pop down? Seems like a lot of blind are fastened that way but I can't see up there very well and didn't want to break anything. Thanks for the help guys and the drawing/photos are great. I'm going to try this tomorrow morning.

Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 01-09-2019, 11:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseymyers View Post
My clips look like they are metal, but if they work the same way you are saying push up on the side of the clip that is towards the interior of the coach? Push up on that little tab and the leading edge of the blind track should pop down? Seems like a lot of blind are fastened that way but I can't see up there very well and didn't want to break anything. Thanks for the help guys and the drawing/photos are great. I'm going to try this tomorrow morning.

Yes Casey, my clips are metal on the longer shades like over the sofa area, I think they are plastic on the shorter length shades but work the same way. The long one had 3 clips and you can use a flat blade screwdriver to pop them away from the shade, one at a time. You'll need someone to hold one end of the shade while you go to the second clip, etc. To re-install you will line up the shade on the inside edge of all clips then rotate it into the opposite side of the clips with one motion. PM me f you have have trouble.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:00 AM   #11

I've had exactly zero luck getting those clips to release without taking the valence off. I either read up and spin the knobs in place or take the whole valence off (usually once the blind falls off)
Old 01-10-2019, 09:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
I've had exactly zero luck getting those clips to release without taking the valence off. I either read up and spin the knobs in place or take the whole valence off (usually once the blind falls off)

I think the DX uses the MCD? The I 5 has a different brand and I think the mechanism is different too. I'm going to work on it later this morning.
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 01-10-2019, 11:25 AM   #13
Commercial Member

We were using United shade and/or MCD, but then United (which is owned by Dicor) bought MCD, so now they are all built at one plant, but I'm not sure which.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
That happened to me and I used to cuss like a sailor.......oops, no offense Casey!
Old 01-10-2019, 01:22 PM   #15

I have had several fall off with brackets still attached. I too might have cussed like a Sailor trying to release the remaining bracket..but then again, I am still in the Navy! When the screw strips out, I usually fill the hole with a wooden toothpick before reattaching. That gives the screw a bit more bite. I have 2 shades that don't roll up all the way. Next project is trying to figure out how to adjust them. Of course, I will have to contort myself to reach up release the mounting brackets!! I wish the brackets were attached to the walls, and the valences held firm to the metal brackets with strong magnets?? I really like having the day and night shades though. Just wish I had one over the entry door, but I know that has been addressed in previous threads.
randocommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:48 PM   #16

My dealer got the shade down turns out I wasn’t pushing hard enough on the tabs. The spring is broken on one side so the dealer said he’d order me a new one. I’m going on a trip so I’ll hang a towel up at night.
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 01-10-2019, 03:36 PM   #17

A towel over the window.......just like camping!
Old 01-11-2019, 02:30 PM   #18

On our last trip the valance and shade fell off. That valance weighs a ton so it now lives in the basement at home and I mounted the shade to the window frame without it. I even like the look better.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:38 AM   #19

Oh by the way my shades are MCD, the mfg label is on the top of the shade bracket.
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 01-12-2019, 04:12 PM   #20

I’ve had zero problems with the shades in my coach but my wife would like a lighter color such as we saw online. Are there optional shade colors for the I5 or can they be ordered from the vendor?
Working hard on “elderhood”
RKBob is offline   Reply With Quote